What is This Plant? Giant Ragweed

Category Weeds
This North American annual from the sunflower family, is considered a noxious weed and an allergen. This is a guide about what is this plant? (giant ragweed).

This thing just keeps getting bigger and bigger. It is now almost 5 feet tall. It looks like it will bloom or something, but then just keeps sending out more leaves in the place where it seems a bud ought to be forming.

My husband said it looks like a pot plant, but I'm pretty sure it's not. We've all seen plenty of photos of those things. (And a few people have seen the real thing!) This was not in my garden last year. And I know I didn't plant it this year, it just showed up, so I decided to see what it would turn out to be.

The suspense is killing me.

I'm sure when it blooms it will be easy to ID, but so far, nothing. The close-up photo is looking down on the place where it seems a bud should be. Photo was taken a couple weeks ago.

Can someone help?

By ~gloria

Editor's Note: Gloria has since found out that this plant is Giant Ragweed (Ambrosia trifica). Here is a link to the follow up post:

Answers

Best Answer

Can't tell for sure from your picture but look up Giant hogweed.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Giant_Hogweed

If it is this be careful the sap of leaves is dangerous.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Not long ago, I asked the ThriftyFun community to help me identify this strange, rapidly-growing plant that mysteriously appeared in my perennial garden. I received replies ranging from wild lettuce to hog weed, but none were correct.

Finally, a botany professor from SUNY Geneseo, NY, came up with the correct I.D. Giant ragweed! Ambrosia trifica, to be specific. As of clip time, it had reached 6 1/2 feet tall. He also told me I'd better get rid of it, post haste, before it had a chance to spread it's nasty pollen all over the neighborhood. Which I did.

Thought you'd like to know the "rest of the story."

By ~gloria

Giant Rag Weed in Garden

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4