Removing Weeds Between Pavers

Category Weeds
If weeds are growing between your pavers, they are not only unattractive but can be difficult to eradicate. This is a guide about removing weeds between pavers.

For those that have cobblestone or brick pathways! Nasty spore growing weeds will bust through cement. Living in the lower Keys of South FL, I've dealt with some very destructive weather. As of now ,I have been pounding sand in between my rebuilt brick pathway. Those nasty weeds that spread my bricks and sea shell garden get a good dose of CHEAP SALT! After a couple days, they pull out easy! Saves on the finger knuckles and expensive weed killer. Also, I heard that cheap WHITE VINEGAR can help rid those weeds. Do not apply any salt next to your living gardening area.

By Cindy from Key West, FL

Weeds can easily take hold in the cracks between paving stones. This is a guide about keeping weeds from growing between pavers.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Apart from using a sharp knife, does anyone have any tips for removing weeds growing between paving slabs without resorting to harsh, environmentally-unfriendly chemicals?

By Sally Guyer from Cambridge, UK

Answers

Best Answer

I've been told that you can spray vodka on those weeds and they will die.

Best Answer

My favorite is a gardener's flame weeder. It's a long wand attached to a propane tank, and you flame the weeds until their juices boil and they look bright green. Kills anything small, and like once a month you would re-treat anything with a bigger root. I like it because it's just so satisfying. No need to burn them to ash.

Best Answer

Buy a gallon of vinegar, remove one cup and add 1 cup of salt, shake to mix then add the cup of vinegar back to the jug. Spray on the cracks in the pavers. Be careful because it will kill anything it touches.

Best Answer

Boil water in the kettle and pour it over the weeds. Works every time!

Best Answer

Pour salt on the weeds. I usually get cheap salt for projects like this.

How do I kill lichen growing in between my patio block paving?

Answers

Boiling water is cheap and effective

A good pressure washing should get rid if them. Aim the stream to get them to lift and separate from the paver. DO NOT USE BLEACH...is doesn't work and can cause harm to the area around the pavers.

Prevention is the harder part as they love moisture. Keeping leave and plant debris off the area helps...but direct sun to the area is the best prevention, but not always feasible.

I am guessing this might be moss, not lichen. Lichen is the smallest plant growth that we can see, and doesn't "lift or separate" as mentioned. But googling both will give you photos and advice to remove them.

Have you tried vinegar? Mix 2 parts vinegar with 1 part water, and spray, then leave on. It may need a couple of applications.

Then use a stiff brush, or power hose. Afterwards, you'll probably need to reapply now and then because of new spores that naturally blow in the wind, as they'll settle in where the environment is favorable and try to take hold again. It's just something you'll have to keep up with to prevent future growths.

You do not say how much you are talking about so the scope of your problem will determine how large a container of solution you will need to use.

I would just keep a spray bottle filled with white vinegar and spray it (hot sun helps vinegar work faster) occasionally. This will kill it and how unsightly the dead looks will determine if you have to do anything about removing it. You can take a good broom and sweep some of the dead away and gradually remove all of it.

Anonymous

Thanks very much for all your replys. I'm going to use the vinegar solution I think. Thanks again everyone.