AdviceGardening

What is This Tree?

Can any one tell me what kind of tree this is? It is about 25 ft tall now. I couldn't fit it all in one picture.

By Amy from Decatur, OH

If you can shoot a close up of the leaf, a seed, or one of the tree's flowers (if any), that would make it easy to ID. And you are in Ohio, right?

It grows straight up no loose leaves just wondering if I can get a start off it.

That's a member of the poplar family- which one, it's hard to say, but definitely poplar. It may be a Lombardi- they're quite common. They grow really rapidly, and are often used in new subdivisions, because they mature so fast. They're a good shade tree, but as they get older, watch the limbs- they're kinda prone to rot, and snap off easily in high winds. :o)

From the cluster of the leaves on the branch I believe it looks like a Cottonwood. Grows much bigger and is a wonderful shade tree. Should be able to take cuttings and with root stimulator can get it to grow. I have one that has been in my yard for over 50 years.