What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

Category Health
When a dog is pregnant it usually is 61 - 63 days before the puppies are born. This is a guide about what is the gestation period for dogs?

How long does it take for a dog to have puppies?

By Sally

Best Answer

It's normally 61-63 days, but if the litter is large, they could be born sooner. Of course, if you know when the female was bred, you can count the days; otherwise you have to guess. A vet, or experienced dog breeder, can palpate the female's abdomen and make an educated guess as to how far along she is in the pregnancy and how much time is left (and how many pups there are).

How do I know what day my Chihuahua became pregnant? She was mated on May 29th and May 30th. Also about how long are they usually pregnant for?

By Mari

Best Answer

It is usually 61-63 days, but if the litter is very large, they could be born a little sooner.

The daddy of my pregnant Shih tzu is a Chihuahua. When can we expect the puppies?

By Sharon from Dallas, TX

Best Answer

First off the gestation period is 63 days.

Now for what Marfette said. I do agree that there are already too many dogs sitting in shelters now and your dog needs to be spayed.

But it sounds like it's too late for this litter. I don't know of a single vet who will abort a litter of puppies or kittens. So now that she's already pregnant there's not anything that Sharon can do except get her dog through this pregnancy and find good reliable homes for the puppies.

But I do hope you get her spayed as soon as they are born!

How many weeks does it take for a girl Yorkie to have her puppies?

By Faith L. from Kingston, NY

A Yorkshire Terrier's gestation period, from conception is 63 days, or around nine weeks. That is two months and a few days.

My dog is a tea cup Chihuahua and she is pregnant by a toy Poodle. She is medium fat and she has a little of milk coming out from the nipples. How many more days for the puppies to be delivered? Its her first time; how many will she have?

By teddybear125

There is no way to tell for sure how many she will have.

Do you know what day on which she bred with the male?

It is usually about 60 days until pups are born.

What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

How long will it take my 10 month old Shepherd Akita mix to have pups? I lined her back with a pure Akita.

By Damien from Bridgetown, Barbados

Answers:

What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

The gestation period for dogs and cats is 63 days from the date of conception. If you know the exact date of conception, you can count it out on the calendar and you'll be on the nose for when the pups will arrive. (03/09/2010)

By Cricketnc

I wish to know the gestation period for our pet Shih tzu dogs?

By Terry from Camarillo, CA

Answers:

What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

It's 63 days from the day of conception. I was brought up with my mother breeding dogs, and I bred them myself for many years and it never failed. (11/05/2009)

By Cricketnc

What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

I suggest if you are thinking of breeding your pet you get in contact with a good vet. God willing you won't need their services, but if you love your pet you will be prepared. Small breeds tend to have problems in delivering. If you aren't sure when she got bred the vet can give you a pretty good idea when she gets close. Her temperature will go up a couple of degrees and she will start nesting. I have raised puppies for years and wish you luck. Nothing more rewarding than watching the little babies being born and loving that Momma. Good luck. (11/05/2009)

By latrtatr

RE: What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

What is the Gestation Period for Dogs?

It is 63 days on any dog and your dog's temp is always higher than a humans like about 102, but if you test her and she is going higher than that she is getting ready to go into labor.

Debbie (11/05/2009)

By dcsprsmm