Does anyone have a good recipe for wheat bread made in an oven, not a bread machine?
Doris from Reedsville, WI
Wheat Bread Recipe
If you find the box mixes for bread machines on sale, they are very good and have the directions on them to make them by hand and bake in the oven. (02/07/2007)
Wheat Bread Recipe
This is from the Prepared Pantry website. I used this recipe at Thanksgiving, my family loved it.
100% Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- 5 to 6 cups fine-ground whole wheat flour
- 1 seven gram packet of instant yeast (or two teaspoons)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted and slightly cooled butter
- Place about three cups of the flour in the bowl of your stand-type mixer. Add the yeast. Carefully measure 2 cups, room temperature (80 degrees) water. The water should feel cool to the touch. Mix the water with the flour with a dough hook for 30 seconds or until the yeast is dissolved and the ingredients begin to combine.
- Add the salt, egg, sugar, and butter and continue mixing. Add most of the remaining flour and continue mixing at a medium speed for at least four minutes adding more flour as needed to reach a soft dough consistency. (It is important that the dough be mixed for at least four minutes to develop the gluten.) The dough should clear the sides of the bowl but will be soft, not firm, to the touch.
- Once the dough is mixed, place it in a large greased bowl, turning once to coat both sides, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or for up to three days.
- On the day that you would like to bake your bread, remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it warm to room temperature--about three hours. The dough should rise to nearly double in size.
- Once the dough has risen, form the loaves. Coat your hands with flour and gently form a loaf by pulling the dough around itself to create a slightly stretched skin. You may need to coat your hands several times if the dough is sticky. If necessary, pinch the seams together on the bottom of the loaf. Lay the loaf gently in a well-greased loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with the second loaf. Let double again in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Once the dough has doubled (the loaf should be very puffy), place the two loaves on a shelf in the top half of the oven, well-spaced so that air can circulate between the loaves. Bake for thirty minutes or until done. The interior of the loaves should register at least 185 degrees when an insta-read thermometer is inserted through the bottom crust. Remove the bread from the pans and cool on wire racks. Let it cool completely before cutting.
Wheat Bread Recipe
- 1 cup very warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pkg. yeast (sprinkle over water/sugar mixture)
Put these ingredients in a small bowl & let set 10 min. while mixing the following ingred.
In a large bowl:
- 3 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 3 cups white bread flour
- 1 Tablespoon salt (mix in flour before adding next ingredients)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
The above water, sugar & yeast mixture: Mix all together by hand until thoroughly mixed. Wipe down sides of bowl with spatula. Spray top of dough with Pam & cover top of bowl w/ clean dish towel & allow to rise until doubled. (2-4 hrs)
Dump dough out on floured surface & knead about 2 min. Separate into 3 equal pieces. Shape into loaf shape & place into 3 Pam sprayed loaf pans. Cover with dish towel & let rise until doubled. Bake @ 350 degrees 20-25 min. Let cool in pans 5 min. before turning out onto wire cooling rack. Cool completely before wrapping or bagging. (04/01/2007)