Homemade Bread Recipes

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 146 Posts

Homemade BreadThis is such a great easy recipe and a good one for folks who are just now getting started making their own bread. With a minimum of ingredients, this bread turns out to be almost as good as the artisan type breads that have become so popular.

Directions:

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast; mix well. Add warm water and oil; mix well. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough 10 minutes or until smooth.

Place dough in lightly greased bowl; cover with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F) for 30 to 40 minutes.

Sprinkle ungreased cookie sheet with cornmeal. Punch down dough. Shape dough into baguette-shaped loaf about 12 inches long. Place dough on cornmeal-coated cookie sheet.

Cover; let rise in warm place for 35 to 40 minutes or until doubled in size.

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. With sharp knife, make 1 deep lengthwise slash in top of loaf. Brush loaf with egg white. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped.

Servings: 8-10
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
25-35 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: This is a Pillsbury Classic Recipe and was taken from the back of a 5# bag of flour.

By Julia

27 More Solutions

This bread is very simple to make. I'm not that great at cooking, but this turned out even for me! And the best part is that it tastes wonderful! It is extreamly fluffy, and it's a nice and relaxing thing to make.

A baked loaf of

A mix of healthy ingredients for your bird, baked into a bread, and served warm every day. My birds love it and will gobble it right up; and I like it because it's healthy for the birds.

A bird on a table and perched on a metal bowl.

This is a quick and easy "bread" recipe. I make this often and my girls make a loaf as a dessert bread.

Making everyday fresh bread. Mix the yeast with the water add oil. Mix all the dry ingredients add the yeast mix and mix together.

Let double the dough and mix again let rise again. Divide the dough in two.

This is a delicious honey wheat bread that tastes excellent topped with apple butter or dipped in soup.

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 135 Posts

Pour boiling water over raisins and soda. Add brown sugar, oleo, white sugar,and mix well. Beat eggs, vanilla, and add to mixture and mix.

Add flour, mix well. Put dough in 9 (10 ounce) well greased soup cans.

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 5,887 Posts

In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in the order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.

Stir well. Add enough flour to make good elastic dough. This recipe is quite large and needs a very large mixing bowl. Cover dough and let rise once...

Dissolve yeast in water then add remaining items. Knead until smooth (will be a bit sticky). Let raise 2 hours (1 hour if using rapid rise yeast).

Stir water, sugar, molasses, shortening, salt, and cereal. Cool. Add yeast and stir until dissolved. Add flour to mixture and knead.

Enjoy the wonderful flavor of this homemade wheat bread with your next meal.

Melt butter in medium skillet. Add chopped onion and paprika; cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Grease work surface and roll dough into 14x12 inch rectangle.

I'm not a good baker, so I keep trying different bread recipes. The bread turns out not even close to the bread I had when I was a kid. Can't I just make bread with sugar, yeast, oil, and water?

My son always eats up the bread I make, but I think it sucks! I want the plain bread that my Grandma used to make, with few ingredients and it turns out heavenly. Thanks.

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
Best Answer

Try this one. It is highly rated. www.food.com/.../old-fashioned-yeast-bread-331217

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

You are right bread recipes are simple and easy to make and should be as good as the bread that grandma made. I have had issue in the past with the yeast and the bread not rising correctly. Homemade bread takes a lot of work and kneading the dough before it is set aside to rise the first time. That is the real key to making a good loaf of homemade bread. I don't think it is the recipe you are using, it may be more you are killing the yeast or not activating it correctly. You need the right temperature of water to do this and if it is too hot or too cold it will not work at all.

Second, the kneading process is what makes or breaks a loaf of bread. You will need to spend a good amount of time kneading the bread before you put it to rise the first time. The second kneading is not as important as the first. When kneading the bread use the kitchen table and not the sink where you are working. Put down a breadboard and stand above the bread while kneading the bread. This way you have a better bread in the end. I think your recipe is fine it will just take a bit of learning how to get it adjusted correctly. You will need almost a complete day to make bread.

Answer this Question

I want to start making my own bread. Does anyone want to share their recipe?

By Sabrina Barr from Council, NC

Answers

I've got a better idea: go to the Fleischman's site. They have enough recipes to keep you going for a long time starting with plain good old fashioned plain bread with excellent instructions.

Good for you for wanting to do this. I can guarantee that you will save money, have a great smelling home, a way to rid your body of tension, a happy family and a great sense of achievement. :)

There are many of my family & friends who bake their own bread. I have found that each person has to find their own unique recipe. We all have tried each other's recipes and have adapted what works best for us. I will post my recipe in another feedback.

I am looking for an easy bread recipe.

Stpat

Load More
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads WheatAugust 23, 2012
🎂
🌻
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Bread-Recipes.html