Homemade Bread Recipes

This is such a great easy recipe and a good one for folks who are just now getting started making their own bread. With a minimum of ingredients, this bread turns out to be almost as good as the artisan type breads that have become so popular.

Directions:

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast; mix well. Add warm water and oil; mix well. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough 10 minutes or until smooth.

Place dough in lightly greased bowl; cover with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F) for 30 to 40 minutes.

Sprinkle ungreased cookie sheet with cornmeal. Punch down dough. Shape dough into baguette-shaped loaf about 12 inches long. Place dough on cornmeal-coated cookie sheet.

Cover; let rise in warm place for 35 to 40 minutes or until doubled in size.

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. With sharp knife, make 1 deep lengthwise slash in top of loaf. Brush loaf with egg white. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped.

Servings: 8-10
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
25-35 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: This is a Pillsbury Classic Recipe and was taken from the back of a 5# bag of flour.

By Julia

21 More Solutions

This bread is very simple to make. I'm not that great at cooking, but this turned out even for me! And the best part is that it tastes wonderful! It is extreamly fluffy, and it's a nice and relaxing thing to make.

A baked loaf of

Making everyday fresh bread. Mix the yeast with the water add oil. Mix all the dry ingredients add the yeast mix and mix together. Let double the dough and mix again let rise again. Divide the dough in two.

This is a delicious honey wheat bread that tastes excellent topped with apple butter or dipped in soup.

Stir well. Add enough flour to make good elastic dough. This recipe is quite large and needs a very large mixing bowl. Cover dough and let rise once...

Enjoy the wonderful flavor of this homemade wheat bread with your next meal.

Melt butter in medium skillet. Add chopped onion and paprika; cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Grease work surface and roll dough into 14x12 inch rectangle.

I'm not a good baker, so I keep trying different bread recipes. The bread turns out not even close to the bread I had when I was a kid. Can't I just make bread with sugar, yeast, oil, and water?

My son always eats up the bread I make, but I think it sucks! I want the plain bread that my Grandma used to make, with few ingredients and it turns out heavenly. Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Try this one. It is highly rated. www.food.com/.../old-fashioned-yeast-bread-331217

Best Answer

You are right bread recipes are simple and easy to make and should be as good as the bread that grandma made. I have had issue in the past with the yeast and the bread not rising correctly. Homemade bread takes a lot of work and kneading the dough before it is set aside to rise the first time. That is the real key to making a good loaf of homemade bread. I don't think it is the recipe you are using, it may be more you are killing the yeast or not activating it correctly. You need the right temperature of water to do this and if it is too hot or too cold it will not work at all. Second, the kneading process is what makes or breaks a loaf of bread. You will need to spend a good amount of time kneading the bread before you put it to rise the first time. The second kneading is not as important as the first. When kneading the bread use the kitchen table and not the sink where you are working. Put down a breadboard and stand above the bread while kneading the bread. This way you have a better bread in the end. I think your recipe is fine it will just take a bit of learning how to get it adjusted correctly. You will need almost a complete day to make bread.

Answer this Question

I want to start making my own bread. Does anyone want to share their recipe?

By Sabrina Barr from Council, NC

Answers

I've got a better idea: go to the Fleischman's site. They have enough recipes to keep you going for a long time starting with plain good old fashioned plain bread with excellent instructions. Good for you for wanting to do this. I can guarantee that you will save money, have a great smelling home, a way to rid your body of tension, a happy family and a great sense of achievement. :)

There are many of my family & friends who bake their own bread. I have found that each person has to find their own unique recipe. We all have tried each other's recipes and have adapted what works best for us. I will post my recipe in another feedback.

My Recipe for White bread

2 cups warm water
2/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. active dry yeast

Dissolve the sugar in a bowl of the water, then stir in the yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

1 1/2 tsp.s salt
1/4 cup oil
6 cups flour

Mix in 1 cup flour, salt & oil. Add the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time. Either knead or mix until smooth dough has formed. Place in a well oiled bowl & turn to coat dough. Cover & let rise until double.

Punch down dough. Knead for a few minutes, divide into 2 to 4 loaves (depending on size of pans). Place in well oiled pans. Allow to rise 30 minutes our until dough is just above the the pans.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 C) for 30 minutes.

For best results let the bread sit for 3-4 hours to "cure" before cutting or putting into bags.

Hello, and good for you!
Want to try making bread from a large quantity of dough which doesn't need kneading and can be kept in the frig for up to 2 weeks?
I've made bread many different ways: mixer with bread hooks, batter, bread machine, food processer, etc. But a new way that I have just tried is a lot of fun and you can get some of the recipes and basic instructions from this article: www.motherearthnews.com/.../Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day... or other articles online. The woman (a master baker) and man that came up with the method have a book out for 5 minute artisan bread.
The non-kneaded dough for multiple loaves can be kept in the frig for up to 2 weeks in a tall lidded plastic container. It makes wonderful french bread with a chewy crust even without the paddle, baking stone, or water they recommend. . I just form mine on a baking sheet. I am going to try the soft American-style white bread from their book I found at the library. Having the dough ready to form and raise is a time saver. The only thing you have to figure in is the rise time (1-1/2 hours) which I cut in half with a lightly heated over (100 degrees).

Hope this gives you a different approach that might help you out and be fun, too.
Another plus: you can use all purpose unbleached flour instead of bread flour which generally is cheaper.

You can get a lot of great bread recipes at the King Arthur Flour website (not to mention flour and other baking supplies!). Hope this helps.

ItalianSwede, I have been wanting to try that bread but just have not gotten around to it. I want that cookbook so bad. Tomorrow is my birthday, maybe someone will get it for me. I hope so......anybody? LOL, hey say it is the best and easiest bread you will ever make. I too have made bread many different ways. So far other than the artisan bread, I think the best way is to mix it in a bread maker on dough setting, take it out, shape it and let it raise again before baking in oven.

I forgot, ItalianSwede, I have another question for you. Looks like you might be of Italian descent so I wondered if you had any recipes that contain garlic in the dough, not the garlic on top. I would really like to know how to do this. Do you make a paste and incorporate it into the dough? I would appreciate a recipe if you have one.

I am looking for an easy bread recipe.

Stpat

In the recipe book that came with my 5 qt. mixer there's a recipe for whole wheat bread. The instructions say to add oil, but there is no oil in the list of ingredients, so I don't know how much. I love my mixer. I love the hands-free mixing.

Suzy

Looking for a easy one loaf bread recipe for white and whole wheat flour.

By DJ

This page contains skillet bread recipes. Enjoy fresh pan bread baked in the oven or cooked on the stovetop.

Skillet Bread

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

This homemade loaf is filled and topped with a mixture of chia and sunflower seeds as well as oatmeal. Delicious!

Chia Sunflower Bread on wooden board

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This honey wheat bread recipe is delicious, fluffy and moist. Make your own bread at home with great results with this recipe.

Honey Wheat Bread

Load More
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads WheatAugust 23, 2012
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Bread-Recipes.html