BreadsBaking & Desserts

"Damper" Bread

This is a quick and easy "bread" recipe. I make this often and my girls make a loaf as a dessert bread.

• 2 cups flour
  • 4 tsp. baking powder

• 1/4 cup sugar (optional)
  • pinch of salt
  • 3/4 - 1 cup milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Stir dry ingredients in a bowl, then add the milk. Stir until dough forms-adding a little more milk, if needed. Place the dough in a ball shape on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until no longer doughy in the middle.

Note: You can also add 1 tsp. or so of cinnamon and/or mashed bananas to dough before baking.

By LisaE from WI

Hi LisaE. When I saw the start of your recipe, I wondered where the "Damper" came from--and if maybe it was "Dumper" (like the ol' dump-cake recipes: dump it all together sorta thing!). But I'm anxious to try your recipe. Life has made changes for me, and I do not have a traditional stove/oven.

I do have a small table-top oven I got from our local thrift shop, and I think I can manage to bake this in it. I may try halving the recipe just in case! Bill likes to have "fat things" (pastries, to have with coffee) around, and this, with cinnamon & bananas, sounds like just the ticket! Will try to chat back after I've given it a try. Thanks for posting it.