Whites and Light Colored Clothing is Dingy After Washing

I have a Bosch front loader (about 5 years) and recently most of my whites and light colored shirts are coming out dingy and with stains under the arms. I have tried using less detergent, more detergent, pre-wash solutions, baking soda paste, just about everything and they still come out with the stains. Is there a filter or something in this thing? The manual doesn't say anything about it. I do have three dogs that shed a lot and I wash their bedding in it. Possibly something is clogged? Help!

By RKS from Grants Pass, OR

I am just learning about front load washers, so I'm not sure this will help, but have you tried really hot water and bleach, or blueing liquid, or vinegar?

I've just remarried (at 54, and after 13 years divorced) and my husband has a front loader-everything white or light comes out dingy at my house, too, so I'm trying to figure out how to use the blueing, I guess where I'd put fabric softener.

It works on top-load machines, but I don't know yet if it will work for a front loader.

I do not use a front loader or have under arm stains but I have discovered if I take a bucket a put in 2 gallons of hot water and a cup of Lemon ammonia and soak my dingy items in it and throw them in the washer and the bucket of ammonia water then let it run through it cycle with laundry detergent amazing how clean they are, 1 thing I do is check the rinse water or if it's still quite dirty I throw in more laundry detergent and reset it to as a new load in other words 2 watch cycles and 1 rinsing that usually does the trick.

But what ever you do, do not add bleach.

If the rinse water in your machine is dirty-something is very wrong with your machine. I laundered farm clothes and mechanic's clothes and kid clothes for years, and never ever saw dirty rinse water. Anyone else have this problem?

And I use bleach always for whites, and never had a problem. Dingy usually means cheap detergent, or something home made-sorry, not an advocate of bad detergent. It shows.

Are you using homemade laundry detergent or store bought? Homemade always seems to leave whites a little dingy. If you are using homemade soap, buy detergent and use only on your whites.

How to Use Bluing For Dingy White Clothes

Bluing is an "old-fashioned" product that helps make whites appear to be whiter. Manufacturers use it in the finishing process of white goods because a blue tint makes white appear brighter. Unfortunately, the bluing wears off after repeated washings. The good news is you can add it back by using liquid bluing. It can be used for white clothes or on blue jeans that you wish to darken.

Here's how:

Always dilute bluing (it is concentrated) in cold water before adding to the washer. Never pour it directly into the machine because it can cause spotting. To whiten whites, if adding to the wash water, use 1/4 teaspoon diluted in one quart of water. Add the solution to the wash water. If adding only to the rinse cycle, use 1/8 teaspoon in a quart of water. Do not use an automatic dispenser for bluing.

For blue jeans, more can be used, up to 1 teaspoon, in the diluted solution depending upon how dark you want your jeans to be. Bluing can be used with detergent but should not be used with bleach, fabric softener or any other laundry product.

http://laundry.about.com/od/product ... e-Bluing-For-Dingy-White-Clothes.htm

I had a front loader for years and loved it. The causes of some problems may be

1. Putting too many clothes in at a time. I had a friend with a top loader and wondered why her clothes were grey only to watch her cram it full of clothes. It is like taking something really dirty and trying to wash it in 1 cup of water...

2. You may have a build up of detergent. To check it wash a load of clothes with nothing in the water and check the window for suds.

3. I always use a second rinse and vinegar in the rinse cycle.

4. If you get too many suds generously pour vinegar in to cut the suds. Then rinse again. I never had problems with dingy clothes especially because I use a double rinse and vinegar

It's tempting to stuff your big tub front loader with all those grubby clothes, and I guarantee they will come out not so clean. If you don't care, say old work coveralls or coats, ok, but for all the rest-just do normal size loads, and good detergent and additives. For really dingy clothes, maybe an overnight soak in a bucket with Oxyclean or ? might help. Then a good bleaching. Still dingy? wash with Iron out, but do be very careful and don't breath this stuff. THEN find some bluing, use a bit, diluted in water.

Dingy Clothing on a Clothing Line
Solutions for Dingy Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsMay 30, 2011
Beating Egg Whites
Tips for Beating Egg Whites
Colorful clothing hanging out of a washing machine.
Removing Stains from Colored Clothing
Light Colored Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Light Colored Carpet
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows