Will Pool Water Harm Ducks?

Category Wildlife
This guide is about will pool water harm ducks? Making sure your wild or domestic ducks have good water to swim in is important to maintaining their health.

Can ducks sitting on eggs swim or bath in a pool? Can that damage the eggs?

Yes, the chemicals used in the swimming pool can technically damage the eggs.

However, when ducks come out of the pool they are surprisingly dry as their feathers are nearly waterproof. They generally fluff themselves up pretty good so they aren't dripping water on the eggs. So I think a small amount of chemicals are present but they probably don't make it through the egg's' shells.

Mallard ducks flew into our senior apartment pool area, mother is setting on 9 eggs. How long does it usually take to hatch? Also does pool water harm them?

By Abrahamson from Santa Clarita, California

Anonymous

This website says chlorine is not harmful to ducks when used as directed.

http://www.liveducks.com/care.html

It looks like duck eggs hatch in 28-33 days.

http://answers.  008190539AAujWrD

Call your local humane society so they can direct you to a wildlife organization.

For the past few days we have had a Mallard duck couple that has been visiting our pool. We have been scaring them away because we didn't want them in the pool. Today we discovered a nest that had one egg that we suspect was laid yesterday. She returned about 30 minutes later and that is when we discovered she laid another egg.

I have been researching Mallard ducks to find out more about them and I learned that they will return to lay more eggs. Therefore, I'm not worried that she won't return, but I was just wondering what to do.

I have a dog that I let out into the backyard to exercise, I play catch with him and I know he won't mess with the nest. I have to exercise him daily and I don't intend on bothering the mother duck. I haven't touched any of the eggs, because I feel she won't return if we touch them.

We plan to allow her to lay more eggs and hatch them, but we do have a pool. Will the chlorine harm her or the ducks if she swims in the pool? If anyone has anymore information to share with me it would be greatly appreciated. If there is anything that I can do to help her or the ducks then that would be great.

Dre from CA

Answers:

Will Pool Water Harm Ducks

My mom used to rent a condominium in Myrtle Beach each year; and each year a mallard pair nested by the pool and swam in it with no ill effects. They were a pleasure to watch. (05/05/2008)

By Jilson

Will Pool Water Harm Ducks

Also, birds can't really smell. It is a myth that they will abandon their eggs if you touch them. I had a friend take eggs right out of the nest and put them back with no ill effects. (05/08/2008)

Will Pool Water Harm Ducks

We have 30 mallards, but they have never gone in our pool. But I'm sure as long as there is water, it shouldn't bother them. (05/30/2008)

By barrsbits