Using Swimming Pool Water for Plants

Category Irrigation
If the pool water does not contain chemicals, it may be used to water gardens. This guide is about using swimming pool water for plants.

My daughter purchased a kiddie pool large enough to hold an adult sized raft. She sunbathes in the privacy of our yard (I already lectured her about sun damage) and it's less expensive than joining a country club.

But the reason I am writing about this pool is because sometimes the wind blows the cover off and it fills with leaves, dirt, twigs. I told her to let me know when it's time to change the water and I'd use it to water the veggie garden and plants.

Need to figure out a pump system because dragging that bucket back and forth is for the birds.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Editor's Note: For pumping out the water, you could try using an aquarium siphon.

I was wondering what will happen to my two week old tomato plants now that my neighbor has emptied his swimming pool and flooded my new garden site. Will the chlorine kill or hurt them and is there anything I can do to save them?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By GELMAN from Jamestown, KY

Answers

Best Answer

Yes, chlorine will kill them dead. Chlorine is bleach. I suggest you get new plants, and test the soil for any chlorine residue. I would also suggest that you talk to your neighbour about emptying his pool so that it doesn't ruin your garden next year.

I have a 10 ft splash pool. I don't use chlorine in my pool. I use Sanit-eazy which is supposed to be gentle on skin and eyes. Can anyone advise me if the water will be ok to use on my garden?

By MB

Answers

I don't know what that product is, but if it is safe for humans to be in, I would think it would be fine for plants. You can water plants with grey water, so I don't see why your pool water wouldn't be perfectly fine.

I have a shortage of water at present and want to use my treated swimming pool water to water plants and trees. I am concerned that it may harm them. What thoughts do you have on this?

Amanda from Granada, Espana

Answers:

Using Swimming Pool Water To Water Plants

Chlorine in pool water will kill your plants. It happened to a friend of mine when a neighbor drained his pool and the drainage killed his garden. (08/20/2008)

By bobdog

I've been using pool water for years for plants, potted plants and the lawn. I have a lot of plants in pots around the pool and I only use pool water for them. I have never had a problem. I presume this will work for you also, as long as your water isn't highly over chlorinated. When I shock the pool, I wait a day.

Jim in Jax (08/21/2008)

By smartfell-r

My sister watered her flowers with her pool water. Guess what? They all died. (08/21/2008)

By Sue

Pond water is the best, it has extra nutrients in it and you garden and flower will grow extremely big and healthy. I personally would not recommend pool water at all for the simple fact, I don't want to take the chance of losing any plants or gardening.(11/10/2008)

By pebbles67530