Work Lunch Ideas

Making your own lunches at home can save you money and give you something delicious to look forward to. This guide contains work lunch ideas.

May 5, 2011 Flag

Making lunch or dinner at home instead of "grabbing a quick bite" at work, can easily save you $20 or more each week. Take your lunch to work every day and you'll find your $1,000.00 richer at the end of the year.

If you do go out for lunch or dinner, always ask for a doggie bag/box and save leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. Any food left on the table is money wasted.

By Faylee from Kingsport, TN

This is a good tip. I was in a rut of grabbing fast food when I was out running errands but I rarely do that now and just come home and eat leftovers or fix a sandwich. It not only saves money but I think I've even lost a little weight!

Debbie, you probably have lost weight. It's scary how high in calories most fast food is! I've used a variety of strategies to avoid eating out or eating on the cheap. I've even stocked up on Lunchables and had that with a soft drink. Then again, I only had a half-hour lunch break on that particular job. Short lunches keep us skinny, too, lol! (I'm sure not skinny anymore!)

Oops! I forgot to say, the last time I just left food on the table was at a local Mexican restaurant, the day my oldest son got married. I still regret that. And since most restaurant meals are twice what anyone should eat, why not ask for half to be put in a "to-go" container when you order?

September 13, 2005 Flag

I am starting the new job as a personal assistant hopefully this week. Does anybody have ideas for what I can take for lunch. I have a 1/2 hour and I don't know if there is a microwave. In the last week I have been a baking fool. I have made about 45 different servings of cake and bread for my lunch. But I don't know what I can take every day. I know pb and j and of course tuna but I am at a loss beyond that.

Thanks very much. I love this site.

I don't work outside the home but if you will have a microwave, you can fix quite a lot and big variety too! There are many already prepared items you can buy in the freezer or frig section of the store....but to save money, make things yourself. If you like soup, prepare canned soup or heat up homemade soup and put in a wide-mouth thermos....or microwavable container. There are many kinds of salads you can make besides tossed salad. Also, cottage cheese with canned sliced peaches or pears. Bring fruit salad or just a piece of fruit. If you made up a taco salad for dinner then you can bring leftovers with to work. Cheese and crackers is always good. When you fix dinner at night just make extra so you can bring leftovers to work the next day!

a must have is a compartment container, ham,salami 2 eggs boiled 50 grams shredded cheese ,capsicum& onion & your fav dressing all mixed together with lettuce .

Bean burritos or soy crumble soft tacos; you could heat the crumbles the night before and leave your tortillas and cheese at work.

Awesome vegetarian ideas! Thanks a lot!

April 4, 2008 Flag

This is a recipe that I use for making lunches for myself for work. I typically buy meat that is on sale at the store and kind of mix and match the ingredients according to the kind of meat.

I buy enough meat to make at least 5 lunches. If there is some meat leftover, you could freeze it for cooking later or make more than you need right now and freeze it for later eating. I am partial to chicken, but depending on what is available and other factors (dietary requirements, budget, etc.), you could get other meats, too. Cooking time may need to be adjusted for different meats.

Place pieces of meat in baking pan. Pour a little oil over each piece of meat. Add spices to taste. Add rice, if desired. Put lid on pan. Place in oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.

Like I said earlier, I take this chicken with me to work. It saves me money not having to buy lunch out at around $5-6 a pop, but also is healthier for me, as I have food allergies.

By crazyliblady from Pittsburg, KS

Are you using precooked long grain wild rice?

Food and Recipes Food Tips School and Work LunchNovember 8, 2013
A girl eating packed lunch at school.
School Lunch Ideas
Setting Up a Carpool to Work, Man Getting in Work Car Pool
Setting Up a Carpool to Work
Fabric Lunch Bag
Making Fabric Lunch Bags
Gott Lunch Box
Finding Replacement Bottles for a Gott Lunch Box