Work Lunch Ideas

Making your own lunches at home can save you money and give you something delicious to look forward to. This guide contains work lunch ideas.

Making lunch or dinner at home instead of "grabbing a quick bite" at work, can easily save you $20 or more each week. Take your lunch to work every day and you'll find your $1,000.00 richer at the end of the year.

If you do go out for lunch or dinner, always ask for a doggie bag/box and save leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. Any food left on the table is money wasted.

Source: www.HassiesKitchenTable.com

By Faylee from Kingsport, TN

Debbie, you probably have lost weight. It's scary how high in calories most fast food is! I've used a variety of strategies to avoid eating out or eating on the cheap. I've even stocked up on Lunchables and had that with a soft drink. Then again, I only had a half-hour lunch break on that particular job. Short lunches keep us skinny, too, lol! (I'm sure not skinny anymore!)

Figure it up; if you spend $5 per day for 5 days, you are spending $25 per week for lunches. This amounts up to $100 a month! When you put your leftovers in the refrigerator, or you don't really have enough leftovers for a full meal, don't throw them out, use them for lunch.

For one dollar at the Dollar Store or Famly Dollar or Walmart, you can purchase a three piece plastic place setting that comes with a plastic glass that has a top on it. Carry this for lunch. You already bought the food at the grocery, use it.

REMEMBER: machine soft drinks add up too. If you buy sodas at the grocery store, grab one or two and put it in your lunch tote. Don't forget to grab the snack food you already bought also. Chips can fit in a baggie and an English muffin can too. Happy breakfast, snacks, and lunches!

By Jane from Paducah, KY

Bringing your own lunch is definitely the way to go. I'm vegan, so finding take away food that is nutritious with no animal products is next to impossible. On the weekends I have fun trying out new recipes and then bring my food to work. I know that I'm sticking to my eating plan and there are no nasty preservatives or excess fat salt or sugar in my food. And invariably someone coming into the lunch room always remarks at how delicious my lunch looks and smells.

This is a recipe that I use for making lunches for myself for work. I typically buy meat that is on sale at the store and kind of mix and match the ingredients according to the kind of meat.

I buy enough meat to make at least 5 lunches. If there is some meat leftover, you could freeze it for cooking later or make more than you need right now and freeze it for later eating. I am partial to chicken, but depending on what is available and other factors (dietary requirements, budget, etc.), you could get other meats, too. Cooking time may need to be adjusted for different meats.

Ingredients

Directions

Place pieces of meat in baking pan. Pour a little oil over each piece of meat. Add spices to taste. Add rice, if desired. Put lid on pan. Place in oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.

Like I said earlier, I take this chicken with me to work. It saves me money not having to buy lunch out at around $5-6 a pop, but also is healthier for me, as I have food allergies.

By crazyliblady from Pittsburg, KS

Are you using precooked long grain wild rice?

I am starting the new job as a personal assistant hopefully this week. Does anybody have ideas for what I can take for lunch. I have a 1/2 hour and I don't know if there is a microwave. In the last week I have been a baking fool. I have made about 45 different servings of cake and bread for my lunch. But I don't know what I can take every day. I know pb and j and of course tuna but I am at a loss beyond that.

Thanks very much. I love this site.
Sandy

You will know the first day if you have a micro. If you do, anything leftover from dinner is great. Make extra servings and wrap and freeze so you can grab something from the freezer for lunch if you are in a hurry, pasta. lasagna, enchiladas, homemade soups or chili, any casseroles. Also things that go well are salads with dressing to be added at work (if you have a fridge at work, just but a bottle of dressing and leave it there,) yogurt, bagels, veggi sticks/slices with or withour dressing to dip, cheese chunks, breadsticks, fruit, yogurt, quesadilla or wrap sandwich, sandwich with deli ham, turkey, roast beef, leftover chicken. Almost anything you ate at home can be eaten at work.

I took my lunch to work for years and had trouble coming up with new ideas also. Some of my favorites I did regularly was chicken fingers using the already breaded frozen ones. I would cook them before work let them cool then put them in a baggie. you could reheat them if you have a microwave or eat them cold which is what I did. I would save the little dips you get from fast food restaurant to dip them in. I also made wraps with tortillas sliced ham lettuce and again I would get the mayo packs from restaurants to put on them because they didnt have to be chilled.

I always take my lunch to work as well and pick-up on

lunch size cups of applesauce, pudding, etc. from the local Dollar Store. I add a fresh banana

and lunch size cups of raviola, macoroni, cheese & crackers which all can be cheaply purchased at the Dollar Store.

Egg salad. Put egg salad in a container and the bread in a baggie. If there's a toaster at work, take an English Muffin instead of bread and toast it, then butter it. I sometimes put a piece of cheese on it.

I love to use Tortillas instead of bread, and you can stuff just anything you want in them!

Hurro I come from the olde country, Russic (Russia). At home we have the salad with vingrette. Mix up some salad leafs and add come preserved lemon slices, chicken, pepper and dukkah from gourmet food shop. dukkah is nuts and seeds all crunched up. then have some beetroot with it and pineapple after too break up the proteins. this is good food!! don't forget to serve with vingrette.. nice

I don't work outside the home but if you will have a microwave, you can fix quite a lot and big variety too! There are many already prepared items you can buy in the freezer or frig section of the store....but to save money, make things yourself. If you like soup, prepare canned soup or heat up homemade soup and put in a wide-mouth thermos....or microwavable container. There are many kinds of salads you can make besides tossed salad. Also, cottage cheese with canned sliced peaches or pears. Bring fruit salad or just a piece of fruit. If you made up a taco salad for dinner then you can bring leftovers with to work. Cheese and crackers is always good. When you fix dinner at night just make extra so you can bring leftovers to work the next day!

a must have is a compartment container, ham,salami 2 eggs boiled 50 grams shredded cheese ,capsicum& onion & your fav dressing all mixed together with lettuce .

Bean burritos or soy crumble soft tacos; you could heat the crumbles the night before and leave your tortillas and cheese at work.

Awesome vegetarian ideas! Thanks a lot!