Work Lunch Ideas

Making your own lunches at home can save you money and give you something delicious to look forward to. This guide contains work lunch ideas.

May 5, 2011 Flag

Making lunch or dinner at home instead of "grabbing a quick bite" at work, can easily save you $20 or more each week. Take your lunch to work every day and you'll find your $1,000.00 richer at the end of the year.

If you do go out for lunch or dinner, always ask for a doggie bag/box and save leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. Any food left on the table is money wasted.

Source: www.HassiesKitchenTable.com

By Faylee from Kingsport, TN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Debbie, you probably have lost weight. It's scary how high in calories most fast food is! I've used a variety of strategies to avoid eating out or eating on the cheap. I've even stocked up on Lunchables and had that with a soft drink. Then again, I only had a half-hour lunch break on that particular job. Short lunches keep us skinny, too, lol! (I'm sure not skinny anymore!)

Oops! I forgot to say, the last time I just left food on the table was at a local Mexican restaurant, the day my oldest son got married. I still regret that. And since most restaurant meals are twice what anyone should eat, why not ask for half to be put in a "to-go" container when you order?

Read More Comments...

September 13, 2005 Flag

I am starting the new job as a personal assistant hopefully this week. Does anybody have ideas for what I can take for lunch. I have a 1/2 hour and I don't know if there is a microwave. In the last week I have been a baking fool. I have made about 45 different servings of cake and bread for my lunch. But I don't know what I can take every day. I know pb and j and of course tuna but I am at a loss beyond that.

Thanks very much. I love this site.
Sandy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You will know the first day if you have a micro. If you do, anything leftover from dinner is great. Make extra servings and wrap and freeze so you can grab something from the freezer for lunch if you are in a hurry, pasta. lasagna, enchiladas, homemade soups or chili, any casseroles. Also things that go well are salads with dressing to be added at work (if you have a fridge at work, just but a bottle of dressing and leave it there,) yogurt, bagels, veggi sticks/slices with or withour dressing to dip, cheese chunks, breadsticks, fruit, yogurt, quesadilla or wrap sandwich, sandwich with deli ham, turkey, roast beef, leftover chicken. Almost anything you ate at home can be eaten at work.

I took my lunch to work for years and had trouble coming up with new ideas also. Some of my favorites I did regularly was chicken fingers using the already breaded frozen ones. I would cook them before work let them cool then put them in a baggie. you could reheat them if you have a microwave or eat them cold which is what I did. I would save the little dips you get from fast food restaurant to dip them in. I also made wraps with tortillas sliced ham lettuce and again I would get the mayo packs from restaurants to put on them because they didnt have to be chilled.

I always take my lunch to work as well and pick-up on

lunch size cups of applesauce, pudding, etc. from the local Dollar Store. I add a fresh banana

and lunch size cups of raviola, macoroni, cheese & crackers which all can be cheaply purchased at the Dollar Store.

Egg salad. Put egg salad in a container and the bread in a baggie. If there's a toaster at work, take an English Muffin instead of bread and toast it, then butter it. I sometimes put a piece of cheese on it.

I love to use Tortillas instead of bread, and you can stuff just anything you want in them!

Hurro I come from the olde country, Russic (Russia). At home we have the salad with vingrette. Mix up some salad leafs and add come preserved lemon slices, chicken, pepper and dukkah from gourmet food shop. dukkah is nuts and seeds all crunched up. then have some beetroot with it and pineapple after too break up the proteins. this is good food!! don't forget to serve with vingrette.. nice

I don't work outside the home but if you will have a microwave, you can fix quite a lot and big variety too! There are many already prepared items you can buy in the freezer or frig section of the store....but to save money, make things yourself. If you like soup, prepare canned soup or heat up homemade soup and put in a wide-mouth thermos....or microwavable container. There are many kinds of salads you can make besides tossed salad. Also, cottage cheese with canned sliced peaches or pears. Bring fruit salad or just a piece of fruit. If you made up a taco salad for dinner then you can bring leftovers with to work. Cheese and crackers is always good. When you fix dinner at night just make extra so you can bring leftovers to work the next day!

a must have is a compartment container, ham,salami 2 eggs boiled 50 grams shredded cheese ,capsicum& onion & your fav dressing all mixed together with lettuce .

Bean burritos or soy crumble soft tacos; you could heat the crumbles the night before and leave your tortillas and cheese at work.

Awesome vegetarian ideas! Thanks a lot!

What I usually do when I'm low on cash and cant buy food at work is cook up something at home the night before and store it in clean/washed plastic recipient. for example: mayonnaise jar for soups, butter recipients for my food, etc. if not you can use your regular microwaveable tupperware.

I like making food with a lot of veggies, not usually meat. My next work-lunch is composed of some oriental dishes i cooked up. you can use the veggies you have at home and just add soy sauce and voila! You've cooked up a nice and low cost oriental dish.

*steamed rice with soy sauce as a side dish

*cut a couple of carrots in small dices or strips and put them and saute them in a pan along with some mushrooms and onions chopped in bigger pieces. then add some washed bean sprouts to it .

You can eat the main dish cold if you wish its still yummy but its even yummier if you heat it up in the microwave :}

Hope this was helpful.

Read More Answers...

April 4, 2008 Flag

This is a recipe that I use for making lunches for myself for work. I typically buy meat that is on sale at the store and kind of mix and match the ingredients according to the kind of meat.

I buy enough meat to make at least 5 lunches. If there is some meat leftover, you could freeze it for cooking later or make more than you need right now and freeze it for later eating. I am partial to chicken, but depending on what is available and other factors (dietary requirements, budget, etc.), you could get other meats, too. Cooking time may need to be adjusted for different meats.

Ingredients

Directions

Place pieces of meat in baking pan. Pour a little oil over each piece of meat. Add spices to taste. Add rice, if desired. Put lid on pan. Place in oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.

Like I said earlier, I take this chicken with me to work. It saves me money not having to buy lunch out at around $5-6 a pop, but also is healthier for me, as I have food allergies.

By crazyliblady from Pittsburg, KS

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you using precooked long grain wild rice?

Food and Recipes Food Tips School and Work LunchNovember 8, 2013
A girl eating packed lunch at school.
School Lunch Ideas
Setting Up a Carpool to Work, Man Getting in Work Car Pool
Setting Up a Carpool to Work
Fabric Lunch Bag
Making Fabric Lunch Bags
Gott Lunch Box
Finding Replacement Bottles for a Gott Lunch Box
🎉
🎄