Stray Cat Problem

How can I keep stray cats out of my garden?

Gina from Philadelphia, PA

I sprinkle cayenne pepper in my gardens wherever the stray cats start to dig. The next time they start digging they get a whiff of the pepper and decide it might be nicer to dig at home.

Holly Monroe

Re: the stray cat problem, there are some aerosol repellents sold at pet stores and garden stores that might work. Also, supposedly citrus peels in the garden keep the kitties away. You could try it. The cats probably like the soft mulch or nice soil of your garden beds. I have simply learned to live with the "problem" in my area, but I do plant my garden very thickly, so that once it's grown in, it doesn't make an inviting kitty litter. But one "plus" is that the cats often keep the mole and mice population down.

Ness - Lakeview, NY

Gina if you are speaking of cats digging in your garden beds here is what you do. Lay chicken wire over the soil, the plants will grow through it. The cats do not like the feel of the chicken wire on their feet and will stay out of the garden.

Kathy Cohen - Northfield, Vermont

This sounds terribly gross, but usually garden supply stores will have what is called 'predator urine' packets that you put around your garden. This alerts the cats, in your case, that there is danger and they will go away without bothering anything. (Don't think it is something that humans can detect, but the animals sure know what it is. Like cougar urine for keeping deer away, etc. Good Luck!

LeeAnn

Most of the time oranges will work, just cut them up and throw them out there in the garden.

It may be a little bit of a hassle, but cats do not like, and will not dig in wet soil. I never have a problem if I keep the garden area wet.

I tried cayenne pepper and it didn't work they still cocme

Are there any natural detterents for cats - mine is digging up rug in places (near doors) and the store bought kind does not work.

Thanks

Use mothball in cotton wraps.

I'm having almost the same problem, stray cats have converted the door of my flat into a litter box, i've tried spraying water on the floor and onion peels, bt it does not help at all now it has become a favorite spot of stray cats to litter here, I even want to poison them bt any thing less then it is also welcome?

We have 3 cats. Sam 13 is fine we have two other Birman male and female all neutered. We have just moved into our first home and a stray cat is coming in every night and peeing on the couches and also on the bench tops.

How do we stop this? I'm pregnant and worried about when the baby comes This stray tries to get in their room. We haven't been able to catch it and it comes in through the cat door please help

Dealing With Stray Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlMay 1, 2000
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Orange tabby kitten in grass and flowers
Repelling Neighborhood Cats
Stray cat in a doorway.
Feeding Stray Cats
A family of cats on the street.
Finding Homes for Stray Cats
🎉
🎄