Activate New Credit Cards Quickly

Ms. Syd Barr - Dunkirk, MD

This is something to think about; your old card is beginning to peel and show wear so you order two new replacement cards with the same numbers ... you may have an embarrassing situation!

True story, the new cards arrived in the mail the day before with a sticker to call a certain number to activate the new cards with the same number and expiration date. We put the new cards aside to call later. We went shopping and made purchases with our old cards; purchases less than $100.00 and had no problem. I dropped my husband off at the automotive repair shop to pick up his vehicle on the way back from shopping and left for home.

When they entered the credit card, as always, it was rejected. This was the same card that was used earlier in the day. There were people in the lobby waiting to pick up their vehicles also. Embarrassing to have people think you have credit problem when you don't. Fortunately, we are established customers with the company.

Embarrassing to say the least, since "we do not carry a balance." My husband questioned this, they called in and he spoke with a representative at the credit card company who had him verify: mother's maiden name, driver's license number, social security number, and since I was on the card also, my social security number, then it was approved. I don't know if the large amount was a trigger or not. When I later called the company they had no explanation as to why some purchases went through and the other didn't; a glitch in the system I guess!

The moral to the story, when your "new card" comes in be sure to call and activate the card before going shopping.

Syd B. from Dunkirk, MD

You are so right. This happened to my husband.

using a credit card
Credit Card Tips and Tricks
Budget & Finance Credit CardsDecember 4, 2000
A stack of credit cards.
Cleaning Uses for Old Credit Cards
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
A stack of credit cards.
Cleaning Uses for Old Credit Cards
Credit Report on Table
Raising Your Credit Score
🎄