Ask for Photo ID on Credit Card

On the back of your credit card, instead of your signature, write "Photo ID required". That way if it is stolen, no-one could use it (unless they are an identical twin). It's still important to report it lost or stolen, as this would not protect you in a phone or mail order situation.

By not signing your card it can be declined by a clerk.. as it is part of your agreement to "sign your card ".

Regardless, it can still be used by a crook at a self scanner at a store, gas station or on line.

I worked at a bank for 8 years and one of the many things I learned is that a credit card is not valid unless it bears the cardholder's signature. We didn't even have to accept it for ID purposes back when we required a second form of ID for certain things if it wasn't signed, and couldn't accept it if they then signed it right in front of us. I do put this on the back of my cards, right next to the signature. However, it is rare that anyone who has to swipe it even asks for my ID. They don't look them over like they are supposed to. I always praise those who do ask, and depending on the attitude of those who don't ask I will make sure they know they should look more closely in the future.

I have seen people lose jobs over accepting a stolen card, both in banking and my part time retail job. This stuff going on out here these days isn't a joke. I've never had a card stolen but I have had card numbers stolen before despite being careful, wary and untrusting, and just that was a nightmare. In all, it is OK to put 'see ID' on the signature line of a card, just make sure it is next to your signature.