Making Almond Roca

When I make almond roca the sugar and butter mixture sometimes separates. The result is a greasy, not as hard or as tasty, product. Even when I make it on dry days this will happen. What am I doing wrong?

Amy from Seattle, WA

I learned a lot from Alton Brown's show on Fudge, 2004. I heard that any drop of water in the pot can make the sugar crystals gather again or even if you jar the pan. I know he was making something diff. but I know water for candy making, including chocolate can be the end of your fun! Maybe that is it? Either way, kudos for making your own Almond Roca anyway! I LOVE that stuff!!!

My daughter...who makes excellent Almond Roca and sometimes has your problem... says to add two tablespoons of water, to the mixture and reheat the mixture...

I have a problem with getting the chocolate to stick to the roca, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Carole

December 6, 2006 Flag

I am looking for a good recipe for making my own almond roca. Does anyone have one? Or any other candy that I can make as to give as last minute Holiday gifts. I like to have some homemade candy and baked goods on hand to bring to parties or to put in a tin if I need a last minute gift for someone. It has worked great for years.

Thanks
Holly

Answers:

EASY ALMOND ROCA

INGREDIENTS:

NOTE: Additional 1/4 tsp of salt is optional and can
be added to butter/sugar mixture
while cooking.

DIRECTIONS:

Place butter and brown sugar in a sauce pan and cook on medium heat until mixture is bubbly and reaches 290 degrees on a candy thermometer. Meanwhile: place a large sheet of aluminum foil on the counter. Grease it lightly all over with butter. When
butter/sugar mixture has reached 290 degrees remove from heat immediately.

Quickly stir in 2/3 of the roasted almonds and pour toffee onto foil. Allow it to set for 1 or 2 minutes then sprinkle chocolate chips all over the top. Once the chips are soft spread them evenly over the toffee. Finish by sprinkling remaining 1/3 cup of almonds over the chocolate. Let toffee cool completely in the refrigerator then break with hands into bite-size pieces.

This makes an attractive home-made gift around the holidays!

(12/21/2000)

Almond Roca Recipe

Melt butter over high heat. Add sugar, stirring until it foams up well. Continue over high heat, adding almonds. Continue to cook, stirring continually until mixture is color of mahogany and sugar is all melted. (Take it off the heat for a moment if it starts to smoke.)

Stir as you take it off the heat permanently and pour quickly onto your biggest flat pan with sides. Tilt to spread evenly. After 5 minutes, pour on chocolate chips. When they have melted a bit, spread them over the top of the hot mixture with a rubber scraper. Scatter ground walnuts over the top, shaking to distribute evenly.

Candy is thoroughly cooled when the chocolate is dull looking. (Cool at least three hours at room temperature.) Break into pieces and it's ready to eat.

(12/21/2000)

ALMOND ROCA CANDY

Butter a 9x13 inch pan; sprinkle with 1/2 cup nuts. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Add sugar, brown sugar, and water; mix well. Stir constantly until boiling. Cook to hard crack stage, 290 degrees. Stir constantly to prevent burning.

Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Pour over almonds in pan. Cool 5 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips over toffee. Spread with spatula as chips soften. Sprinkle remaining nuts over top and chill. Break into pieces when cool.
(11/08/2004)

By wandat

Holidays and Parties Gifts FoodDecember 6, 2006
bowl of shredded coconut
Making Almond Joy Bars
Almonds
Making Homemade Almond Extract
Almond Bark
Storing Almond Bark
Almond Crescent Cookies
Almond Crescent Cookies
🎉
🎄