Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Homemade Steam Cleaner Solution

Is there a homemade solution I can make at home to use in my steam cleaner?

By Terry from Denver, CO

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade carpet cleaning solution to use in steam cleaning machine?

I would like to know if there is a way to make a homemade carpet cleaning solution to use in steam cleaning machine?

RE: Homemade carpet cleaning solution to use in steam cleaning machine?

When I rent a cleaning machine, this is what I do: I put wisk laundry detergent and bleach (check your carpet to make sure it wont discolor) and go from there. I start with about 1/8 cup of wisk, if you need more, add more. Good luck! (02/07/2001)

By lhwitch

Simple Green is a great non-toxic cleaner that can be diluted into the steam machine. You can buy it at places like K-Mart and Walmart. (02/07/2001)

By cjmastermixer

I do own my own carpet machine and will never be without one again. The best investment i have ever made. What i do is put the water in and add pine sol to the water. Makes your house smell fresh and clean. It does not take much so just start out with alittle at a time. (02/09/2001)

By JSRS443

I don't know if there are any homemade solutions you can use, but the last time I shampooed my carpet I decided to use Shout on the stains. On the grungy traffic areas I sprayed it all over. I ran out before I got the whole living room done. You could sure tell the difference. I decided next time I shampoo, I'm going to lay in a good supply of Shout. I suppose you could use your favorite brand of laundry pre-treater. (02/23/2001)

By mcnare

I just found out by mixing hot water and oxiclean i can use this in my machine and for me it work great. You need to try a test spot first. (06/15/2001)

By JSRS443

I rent the machine at the grocery store and use about 1 cup of vinegar and boiling hot water in each "batch". Stains always come out & there's no "suds" in this recipe left behind to attract even more dirt! (10/04/2004)

By Sandi

I used to do carpets commercially, let me tell you that having your water hot enough is the important thing. If the water is not hot enough you will never get all the dirt out. (11/24/2004)

By Jason

I have used with great success, club soda on my carpet stains and it works like a charm. Our oldest cat had a vomitting problem and anyone with pets can attest to pet vomit being one of the worst stains to remove in a carpet. Instructions for use: Club Soda, any brand. Pour directly onto stain let soak for 5 minutes. Blot soaked area with clean absorbent cloth. I blot the area several times let dry and vacuum.

Club Soda leaves no residue, unlike detergent based products, and therefore nothing "sticks" to the cleaned area afterwards causing the stain to "re-appear".

Lesley (07/28/2006)

Archive: Homemade Steam Cleaner Solution

I am looking for a homemade steam cleaner solution.

Kathy from Lansing, MI

RE: Homemade Steam Cleaner Solution

I use concentrated (brown bottle) Lysol. I use a capful each time I change the water. My favorite steam cleaner is a "Rug Doctor". (11/16/2006)

By Susie from Buckhead Ga.

RE: Homemade Steam Cleaner Solution

I know a landlord who swears by Tide detergent for steam cleaning his rentals. (12/15/2006)

By

RE: Homemade Steam Cleaner Solution

I've been cleaning carpets professionally for over 15 years. The biggest problem we find with people that do their own carpets is the cleaning solution left in the carpets. Sandi had the right idea. Vinegar will leave the least amount of residue in the carpet and will slow down the resoiling process.

If you're not keen on that system, then put your cleaning solution in a spray bottle and scrub in into your carpets with a soft brissle brush. A stiff brush will only damage the carpet. Then use your machine loaded with the hottest water you can get and rinse the cleaner and soil out of the machine. Heavy traffic areas might need a second cleaning. However, wait till the carpet dries completely before trying again. Usually 5-7 hours. Good luck. (01/06/2007)

By Ted Heissner

RE: Homemade Steam Cleaner Solution

If you don't have pets a cup of non sudsing clear ammonia from Walmart will clean great added with two cups of vinegar. If you have pets leave out the ammonia as it attracts them to pee when they smell ammonia in an area. Ammonia is a great cleaner leaving no residue and white vinegar is a great deodorizer and cleaner as well. You can also use rubbing alcohol as a spot remover, but carpet clean over the area a few times right after you spot remove. (08/23/2007)

By Superman

RE: Homemade Steam Cleaner Solution

I have been cleaning my own carpet for over 2 years now. Prior to that I used Stanley Steamer. Ammonia and Vinegar are good, but not as good as pre-treating with Castor-Pollux (all natural) Spot out! then I use Simple Green in my machine and the results are unbelievable. I have white carpet and I am proud to say that I put Stanley Steamer to shame. They even came back a second time for a "freebie cleaning" and 2 of their cleanings were no where near as good as one of mine. (08/26/2007)

By call4cathy

RE: Homemade Steam Cleaner Solution

I usually use very hot water, ammonia, and I like using just a little bit of "Gain" laundry detergent to make it smell good, but I guess any brand of your favorite detergent will help. (10/21/2007)

By jewls

I have a fairly large home with a lot of carpet to steam clean. We received a very nice machine as a housewarming gift..

I need a recipe for the cleaning solution for my Hoover Steam Vac. I believe it has vinegar and water in it. That's all I know.