Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses for Fishing Line

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Fishing Line

A sturdy plastic string that can be helpful for a variety of things. This guide contains uses for fishing line.

Solutions: Uses for Fishing Line

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Cut Melon with Fishing Line

With summer just around the corner, watermelon season accompanies it! Use string or fishing line to cut the melon.

By Cay Cooke [18]

Tip: Save Wrapping Paper By Using Fishing Line

To save gift wrap paper to use again: When you make your fold and get ready to tape, put fishing line in at the taped area. Leave a small end on each side. When the gift is opened, just pull the line and you have a nice and clean opening. This will save lots of paper to be used again.

The fishing line will not be seen because it doesn't have any color. The paper could be used again for gifts, making gift tags, greeting cards, or gift baskets. You could also frame the prettiest paper, and make wall art or use to cover boxes for gifts or storage.

By Tricia from Ridgeway, VA

Tip: Strong Necklace Thread

Tired of your necklace breaking? Restring it with fishing line. Fishing line is very strong and inexpensive.

By ThriftyFun

Tip: Use Fishing Line for Cake Cutter

Fishing line is a great cake cutter when you want to avoid the cake and icing transferring to the next piece. We did this at my wedding to avoid the vanilla and chocolate cake from mixing and making the icing on the cake look sloppy. I now use the line for my kids party cakes the icing stays where it's supposed to and I don't have to hear kids saying their chocolate has white on it or vice versa.

Tip: String Nuts on Fishing Line for Target Practice

For preparing for target practice for the upcoming deer season, my sister and her daughter picked up walnuts on the ground during a nature walk. Upon getting home, they tied a strand of fishing line between 2 trees (about chest high) and placed the nuts hanging from the fishing line. From an appropriate distance, they used their rifle and a shotgun to hit the nuts with. My Dad said they both were doing great shooting the nuts. He said with them being able to shoot something as small as nuts from 100 yards away, they'd have no trouble shooting and hitting deer!

By Terri H. from NV

Tip: Use Fishing Hook and Line for Clearing a Clogged Vacuum

My youngest daughter sucked a sock in the vacuum hose and then tried to use a wire hanger to take it out and hopelessly jammed it in, it seemed. I came up with the idea of a treble fishing hook and fishing line. Dropped it down, hooked it and tada! Sock removed.

By Delia from Yucca Valley, CA

Tip: Fishing Line For Frugal Toilet Fix

As a very stingy gramma, I have got "tight waddery" down to a science. While living in an apartment where the repair people didn't come running when I called, I figured out a way to fix my toilet. I just did it this morning in my 30+ year old condo. We will eventually replace the toilets but this will work until we do.

I removed the chain from the flushing apparatus and replaced it with a double length of fishing line. If you make it exactly the length to fit from the handle to the little rubber stopper thingy, it won't get caught and leave the toilet running all day. Fishing line won't cause those rust stains which torment us at cleaning time. Be sure to leave the link of chain that attaches to the rubber stopper. Just loop the line through that and then through the hole in the lever which attaches to the flush handle. Then wind it several times and tie it securely.

Tip: Using Fishing Line and Weed Whacker Line for Folk Harps

Does anyone out there play a folk harp? Here's a $-saving tip - You can use fishing line for your harp strings. Compare the gauge needed with the heaviness of fishing line used for deep sea fishing. (And you can use weed-whacker line for the bass strings.) It's all monofilament, after all.

By Pam from L.A., CA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Uses for Fishing Line.

Question: Uses for Fishing Line?

I have a ton of fishing line that I inherited and I don't fish. Does anyone have any frugal or creative ideas for using it?

Most Recent Answer

By bob (Guest Post)01/09/2009

Guitar strings