Uses for Fishing Line

Category Reusing
Fishing Line
A sturdy plastic string that can be helpful for a variety of things. This guide contains uses for fishing line.

Tired of your necklace breaking? Restring it with fishing line. Fishing line is very strong and inexpensive.

To save gift wrap paper to use again: When you make your fold and get ready to tape, put fishing line in at the taped area. Leave a small end on each side. When the gift is opened, just pull the line and you have a nice and clean opening. This will save lots of paper to be used again.

The fishing line will not be seen because it doesn't have any color. The paper could be used again for gifts, making gift tags, greeting cards, or gift baskets. You could also frame the prettiest paper, and make wall art or use to cover boxes for gifts or storage.

By Tricia from Ridgeway, VA

With summer just around the corner, watermelon season accompanies it! Use string or fishing line to cut the melon.

As a very stingy gramma, I have got "tight waddery" down to a science. While living in an apartment where the repair people didn't come running when I called, I figured out a way to fix my toilet. I just did it this morning in my 30+ year old condo. We will eventually replace the toilets but this will work until we do.

I removed the chain from the flushing apparatus and replaced it with a double length of fishing line. If you make it exactly the length to fit from the handle to the little rubber stopper thingy, it won't get caught and leave the toilet running all day. Fishing line won't cause those rust stains which torment us at cleaning time. Be sure to leave the link of chain that attaches to the rubber stopper. Just loop the line through that and then through the hole in the lever which attaches to the flush handle. Then wind it several times and tie it securely.

For preparing for target practice for the upcoming deer season, my sister and her daughter picked up walnuts on the ground during a nature walk. Upon getting home, they tied a strand of fishing line between 2 trees (about chest high) and placed the nuts hanging from the fishing line. From an appropriate distance, they used their rifle and a shotgun to hit the nuts with. My Dad said they both were doing great shooting the nuts. He said with them being able to shoot something as small as nuts from 100 yards away, they'd have no trouble shooting and hitting deer!

By Terri H. from NV

My youngest daughter sucked a sock in the vacuum hose and then tried to use a wire hanger to take it out and hopelessly jammed it in, it seemed. I came up with the idea of a treble fishing hook and fishing line. Dropped it down, hooked it and tada! Sock removed.

By Delia from Yucca Valley, CA

Does anyone out there play a folk harp? Here's a $-saving tip - You can use fishing line for your harp strings. Compare the gauge needed with the heaviness of fishing line used for deep sea fishing. (And you can use weed-whacker line for the bass strings.) It's all monofilament, after all.

By Pam from L.A., CA

Fishing line can be used as a quick easy substitute for a cake cutter. This is a guide about use fishing line for cake cutter.

A spool of green colored fishing line.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a ton of fishing line that I inherited and I don't fish. Does anyone have any frugal or creative ideas for using it?

I use fishing line to sew buttons on heavy jackets. I heard of this when the kids were small and never stopped. I also sew the buttons on heavy work shirts ( like flannel.)

We use it for hanging pictures & ornaments

Anonymous

Fishing line is monofilament. Years ago, I saw craft magazines recommend monofilament to make hanging loops for various ornaments. Since then, I have saved every bit of discarded fish line I could get. Whether you use it for Christmas tree ornaments or for sun catchers, they are nearly invisible, letting your handiwork get the attention, not the hanging loop.

Monofilament is also strong, and can support quite a bit of weight. Check the label on the spool for how many pounds "test"; you can expect the line to support that much weight easily. (I know, for fishing, the line will bear the tugging of a fish at least twice as heavy as the "test", but that is not the same as expecting the line to hold a heavy object continuously.) I've used several strands of monofilament to replace the broken or missing hanger on hanging planters retrieved from trash cans.

I wouldn't say that monofilament line is *more* useful than duct tape, but NO ONE is getting my stash of old fish line away from me! - Rose B.

Anonymous

As a petowner of 4 cats,I can testify that my cats love to play with their "kitty-tease"toy that was made for them. A "kitty-tease' toy is made with a toy or a feather that is attached to the end of a plastic pole or stick with the use of fishing line wire. My cats get lots of fun and exercise playing with this toy. My cats &I usually play with this toy just before I retire to bed at night.Not only do my cats get their exercise,and play time,all of us are usually able to get a good nights sleep afterwards.If you happen to be a crafty person,this could be both a fun hobby and a money maker at the same time. You could make some of these type of cattoys and sell them to other cat owners,pet shops,cat shows,animal shelters,etc. I hope this helps!

Kitty Wuerl

Fishing line is great for cutting A cake in half

Cut strings of the fishing line in different lengths, loop each end, attach a Christmas ornament on one end, and thumbtack the other to the ceiling. The ornaments appear to be floating in the air, and makes a beautiful Christmas display.

Anonymous

We recently purchased a kit for my daughter's friend to make her own necklaces and bracelets like the ones found in stores, the ones that stretch, have beads and fit right next to the skin.

The instructions said when you run out of the supplied line, you can use fishing line. - Kenneth

its great for setting up traps for pranks i once used it for pouring a whole bucket of water bombs on my victim

When I lost a screw in my glasses, I threaded a fishing line through twice and knotted it tight. Worked great and didn't show. The office that put another screw in thought it was a neat trick.

MK2008

Guitar strings