Uses for Fishing Line?

I have a ton of fishing line that I inherited and I don't fish. Does anyone have any frugal or creative ideas for using it?

I use fishing line to sew buttons on heavy jackets. I heard of this when the kids were small and never stopped. I also sew the buttons on heavy work shirts ( like flannel.)

We use it for hanging pictures & ornaments

Anonymous

Fishing line is monofilament. Years ago, I saw craft magazines recommend monofilament to make hanging loops for various ornaments. Since then, I have saved every bit of discarded fish line I could get. Whether you use it for Christmas tree ornaments or for sun catchers, they are nearly invisible, letting your handiwork get the attention, not the hanging loop.

Monofilament is also strong, and can support quite a bit of weight. Check the label on the spool for how many pounds "test"; you can expect the line to support that much weight easily. (I know, for fishing, the line will bear the tugging of a fish at least twice as heavy as the "test", but that is not the same as expecting the line to hold a heavy object continuously.) I've used several strands of monofilament to replace the broken or missing hanger on hanging planters retrieved from trash cans.

I wouldn't say that monofilament line is *more* useful than duct tape, but NO ONE is getting my stash of old fish line away from me! - Rose B.

Anonymous

As a petowner of 4 cats,I can testify that my cats love to play with their "kitty-tease"toy that was made for them. A "kitty-tease' toy is made with a toy or a feather that is attached to the end of a plastic pole or stick with the use of fishing line wire. My cats get lots of fun and exercise playing with this toy. My cats &I usually play with this toy just before I retire to bed at night.Not only do my cats get their exercise,and play time,all of us are usually able to get a good nights sleep afterwards.If you happen to be a crafty person,this could be both a fun hobby and a money maker at the same time.

You could make some of these type of cattoys and sell them to other cat owners,pet shops,cat shows,animal shelters,etc. I hope this helps!

Kitty Wuerl

Fishing line is great for cutting A cake in half

Cut strings of the fishing line in different lengths, loop each end, attach a Christmas ornament on one end, and thumbtack the other to the ceiling. The ornaments appear to be floating in the air, and makes a beautiful Christmas display.

Anonymous

We recently purchased a kit for my daughter's friend to make her own necklaces and bracelets like the ones found in stores, the ones that stretch, have beads and fit right next to the skin.

The instructions said when you run out of the supplied line, you can use fishing line. - Kenneth

By stevo (Guest Post)

its great for setting up traps for pranks i once used it for pouring a whole bucket of water bombs on my victim

When I lost a screw in my glasses, I threaded a fishing line through twice and knotted it tight. Worked great and didn't show. The office that put another screw in thought it was a neat trick.

MK2008

By bob (Guest Post)

Guitar strings