Inexpensive Baby Gift Ideas

I need a new baby gift for a baby boy. I'm low on money.
By Kelley

I've used these ideas with great success:

Changing Pad: make a soft changing pad by purchasing a basic hand towel and using leftover fabric or buying a coordinating fabric. (I saw this idea on Martha Stewart Living, but the directions are not at her web site.) Cut a piece of the fabric to match the size of the towel. Cut a second piece of fabric to make a pocket for ointment, wipes, etc.

Sew right sides together, leaving enough room to turn the piece right side out and finish seam by handstitching. Not only is this changing pad soft (and not vinyl), but it's washable too.

Baby Blanket: I bought a large piece of Polar Fleece on sale, folded right sides together and sewed, again leaving room for turning right sides out. Finishing off the seam by hand, I then personalized the blanket with the baby's last name using fabric paint.

I was able to buy fabric so that the blanket and changing pad matched, and to my delight the blanket turned out to be the baby's favorite!

I would estimate spending about $10 or less to complete this project. The time I spent assembling this gift was much appreciated by my sister-in-law.

Would you be interested in starting the baby out with books? There is a great book store in Atlanta that I use. They have new and gently used books. Even going to yard sales is a great way to gather books. I have a friend that had a baby 5 months ago and I have sent her probably 50 books. A neighbor was cleaning out her childrens books and offered then to me. Thrift stores also have lots of childrens books.

Giving a package of cloth diapers is a gift the Mom will appreciate.

This is an inexpensive baby gift that I first received for my daughter 24 years ago. It grows more special by the year:

Buy an inexpensive photo album--the kind where the whole page has an acetate sheet that lifts up, and a sticky surface to attach photos. Then, using the newspaper from the day of the baby's birth, cut out the headlines, a few representative stories, "Ann Landers" column, ads that reflect current trends and prices, the movie and tv listings, etc. Arrange the articles, pictures, and headlines in an attractive manner. Write an inscription inside the front cover to tell the child that this is what was happening in the world on the day she/he was born. The project takes effort but does not cost much money, and the child will enjoy it in years to come.

Handkerchief Baby Bonnet

First it is a handkerchief designed into a bonnet for baby. Keep it

until baby's wedding day, remove the ribbon and its a handkerchief

once again.

10x10-1/2" square of linen or heirloom fabric or purchased hanky

1-1/4 yards of 1" wide flat lace

1 yard of 1/4" satin ribbon

embroidery thread

Place lace along outside edges 1/4" in from edge. Stitch lace in place along edge. Trim away fabric from behind lace to stitching.

Sew a decorative stitch to the edge of the hanky 5/8" from hem. To form bonnet, turn back 2-1/2" along one edge and press. Attach

ribbon 1" in front of this fold at center and 1" in from both edges. Tack with small stitched heart. On opposite side, turn back 1", press and baste 5/8" from fold. Gather up and secure to form back of bonnet.

I'm just a little hankie

As square as square can be

But with a small stitch or two

A bonnet I will be.

I'll be worn from the hospital

Or on my christening day

And after that be folded

Then carefully put away.

When on that future wedding day

So we've been always told

The well-dressed bride must always

Wear something that is old.

So what could be more fitting

Then to find little me

And with a few fine stitches snipped

A wedding hankie be.

And if perchance it's a boy

Someday he'll surely wed

Then his bride can have the hankie

Once worn upon his head.

This was made for my neice. I would use blue thread for a boy and then it will be something old and something blue.

Mrs Kathy Cohen

Buy a Walmart (or other retailer) Gift Card. Most stores offer a selection of gift cards. Walmart has one with a yellow rubber duck on it. You can start out any where from $5 on up.

If you are looking for a high quality baby gift at an affordable price, visit this site:

You'll find baby soft fleece tie blankets and the best part is that you can have it custom-made just for the baby you're buying it for! Good luck!

Holidays and Parties Gifts BabiesFebruary 23, 2001
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
Gifts That Cost Nothing
Inexpensive Gift Ideas for Coworkers
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 23, 2016 at 3:07:23 AM on in 969 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.