Convenience Foods

Mandy

I cook from scratch, which is a big money saver. I rarely buy convenience foods. Once in a while I will find a tremendous deal on something, only then do I buy it.

I do my grocery shopping once a week, with a list and coupons to save all I possibly can. When I get home, I take all my veggies and wash them and separate them into meal size packages. Then they are clean and ready to use, this way I don't tend to forget about them stashed in the veggie drawer. I also, wash the romaine lettuce, so it is ready to use for salads and sandwiches. To save on convenience foods, I have found it is a lot more economical to purchase the items to make your own. Convenience foods are always more expensive. I make my own by dicing all my veggies at one time; I buy the large blocks of cheese and shed them into freezer bags ready to pop out for casseroles and tacos, etc; I even make up your own bread and cake mixes. I found recipes for money saving home mixes by doing a search on google.com. I find the google search very helpful and time saving for many money saving recipes, all you have to do is type in what you are looking for and they do the search for you.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Editor's Note: Here are recipes for convenience mixes on ThriftyFun:

Recipes - Convenience Mixes