Finding Free Furniture

Category Home & Garden
If you need to furnish your home or apartment inexpensively, it doesn't get any better than finding free furniture. This is a guide about finding free furniture.

I sign up for the freecycle yahoo posting in our area. I received some really nice furniture this way. Also in Florida, what people don't want they put on the curb, and you are free to take it. We look at the piece to see if it is good or worth redoing.

By Lori M. from Palm Bay, FL

Buying furniture is an expensive undertaking. Families struggling on low incomes often are unable to buy or replace their furniture without some type of assistance. This is a guide about organizations that assist low income families get free furniture.

Read More... Was this helpful? 11

Find out when large item garbage pick-up is happening around you. In the days before that date, inspect furniture sitting at roadside. Explore the alleys and dumpsters behind places of business. Sometimes businesses discard slightly worn furniture that is still useable.

By Vivian P.

Financial circumstances may require that you attempt to locate free furniture rather than buy new or used items. This is a guide about finding a free bed.

Read More... Was this helpful? 4

When I need something I ask my friends to "ask around" for me. Most of the time someone has the item and they simply want to get it "out of the way". When I wanted a full size bed to put in the basement for the nights that Tornado warnings are out, I did exactly that. And sure enough someone had a nice bed to give away. Works for me!

Where can I find a free dresser?

Answers

Best Answer

Craigslist is an excellent source for finding inexpensive furniture. However, they also have a "Free" section. Look in the "For Sale" area on the main page of your local Craigslist page and you will see a link to the free stuff. There are a surprising amount of valuable items you can get at no charge simply for hauling them away from the owner. If you don't find a dresser there today, check tomorrow, there are always new items being added. Good luck!

With limited funds, 100.00 per month, that I have left after bills are paid, how can I get a bed and furniture for a one bedroom apartment in Georgia?
I am on SSDI and have tried the social services, but to no avail.

By Marie

I am a married settled lady needing help with beds for 7 boys. My husband has been out of work for 2 years. We are really in of some furniture. We do not know where to look or get help. Any suggestions?

By Sabrina

I'm getting ready to move in my new place I don't have a living room set or kitchen set or anything to make my apartment a home. I'm a single mother already struggling to make sure I have enough to move. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Thank you.

How do I find free furniture for my apt.?

By DeeCee

I moved into an apartment. It's low income and I get paid by the state and don't have any money to get furniture. Can anyone tell me who to contact to get help in Polk county Florida?

By Molly from Winterhaven, FL

Answers

Best Answer

The Salvation Army is all over. It might not be in your actual town, but would be no more than 50 miles away. Go to their office and tell them what you need, and it has to be basics only, no electronic items. They will give you a voucher for the items you need and you will get them free, if they have them.

More than likely they won't let you pick from the better items that they can sell. That being said, more than likely you will need a way to transport the items yourself. The state might be paying your rent, but you must have some cash income to pay utilities, etc. You can always use an air mattress for a bed and you can get them fairly cheap. I have adult grandkids that have been doing that for years because they can't afford beds.

In the living room you can get buy with cheap folding chairs or those plastic looking outdoor chairs. For end tables in the living room those plastic storage totes can serve two purposes, they can be for storage and as end tables at the same time. You can get by without a kitchen table, you can sit on a chair and hold your plate. If you have a pastor talk to him/her, they might know some people that have some old furniture sitting around that they would be willing to donate.

In July I went into the hospital, I was there for a month and while I was there I lost my house and everything that was in it. My 8 year old granddaughter stays with me. Now we have moved to an apartment. We have no beds, no couch, nothing; we are sleeping on the floor. I have gone to different organizations asking for help, but it seems like nobody wants to help. I will be able to go back to work next month. It's hard, struggling everyday, to make sure we eat. What do you suggest?

By patrica H

How do I get help finding free furniture?

I'm in need of a full size bed. Any suggestions for where to look?

I'm moving for the first time, and need help with getting bedroom furniture for my son and I. Where can I find cheap or free furniture? Thank you.

By Kia

I just moved to Cincinnati with my kids. I came up here with nothing, no money. I need help with beds and clothing for my kids. What can I do or how can I get help with beds and clothing?

I am in need of a full size couch and love seat. I also need a queen size bed. I just moved into a new home with my 13 year old and we are sitting on a broken futon and my bed is broken also. Any suggestions?

Does anyone know where a nonprofit organization can go to get donated or cheap furniture to decorate an office in or near Philadelphia?

By A. Thomas

Answers

Best Answer

You can always get cheap furniture at thrift stores. Also go to Craig's list and freecycle.com. All the items might not match, but I have worked in a couple non-profit offices that had donated furniture that didn't match. One of the offices did have matched chairs in the lobby and a nice big table with matching chairs in the conference room and those items had been acquired from another office that was re-decorating.

I need to know how to find a bed and dresser. I am on SSDI, so I cannot afford much.

By Glenda

Answers

Craigs List, Yard Sales, Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity

If there is a Freecycle in your area, you can join it and after you satisfy the joining criteria, you can post wanteds for the furniture. You may also find furniture posted there. Google Freecycle.org, and see if you are interested. I have received books, a bike, lots of perennials for my garden, and a crockpot. Hope this helps.

Try you local thrift store and if you don't mind garbage picking pick a nice neighbor hood and go for a ride on garbage day maybe you will find it free. Also try your local church and ask if you can post something on their bulletin maybe someone at church has it and just wants to get rid of it.

Goodwill
Salvation Army
your church
family and friends
yard and garage sales
thrift stores
used furniture stores (sometimes they throw away stuff they can't sell)
offer storage unit businesses free unit cleanout if you can keep what you want (might be alot of work but you may het lucky and find some good stuff)

I'm not sure where you are from. There is a web site that I use called freecycle.org. Try this site. Good luck, Martha from Georgia

First, a mattress does not need a special frame; it can rest on anything that is sturdy. A sheet of plywood and some bricks or wooden boxes will work and can be painted however you like. A dresser can also be anything even an old desk. Think in terms of how you are going to use the item and what will do that job. Be creative; it is more economical. Open shelves and baskets will work for storing clothes and linens.

You need to buy a new mattresss. Costco sells one of memory foam that is relatively inexpensive and very comfortable. There is an ongoing epidemic of bedbugs so it is not wise to bring in a used mattress.

I was hoping that somebody could help me out with ideas for where to find free furniture. I've lost everything in a house fire with no content insurance.

My grandson needs a dresser. They are a low income family of 4. It needs to be free or low price. Any suggestions?

I need help finding free furniture. I need everything. I am a single mom with a teenage son. We have nothing. I also need help finding low income homes in a decent neighborhood.

How can I find free living room furniture? I have been on Craig's List, but it is too expensive.

By Richard

Answers

Look on Freecycle.org and find one in your area. We have gotten lots of things on Freecycle including a almost new pair of recliner loveseats. You can look at the listings or put an ad on for what you want. Another place to look is your local foodbank. Some of them have furniture and clothing available. Good luck!

Most of the time when you get free furniture you have be able to haul it yourself. You can also go to the office for your Salvation Army and ask for a voucher for free furniture. They will give you the voucher to take to their thrift store and if they have the requested items listed on the voucher they will give it to you. It might not be the best quality and you will only be able to get the necessities, nothing for entertainment purposes.

Habitat for Humanity, yard sales.

I had so many answers then I see you have gotten them already ! They do work be patient,the stuff does show up. All I would add is look for local church, hospital or chamber thrift stores. Many times they have a monthly turn over plan, if they know of a need at time books close they are very happy to help you out. Make sure when you contact them you do it in person and leave a request of items you need.

Last thing I have just learned, if any colleges are by you ask the school which Realtor"s do the leasing. My best friend does this and when school is over these kids leave everything behind. The boys stuff may not be worth it(unless you want to refinish) however the girls left beds,dressers, sofa's all clean and fairly new. Many purchase this stuff, find its way too expensive to haul home.

Ones coming back if they have new room mates a different color etc. is agreed on. She has gotten some great things! Please note these are not my kids, I wouldn't ever be able to spend like this ... many do.

Enjoy the journey, it can be fun. I put dressers in my living room. Have put tables that others use as night stands so think outside the box; it will be great!

I need free home and kitchen furniture. Please let me know the best places to look.

By Y. Murugan

Answers

Go to the Salvation Army in your area. First you will have to go their office and ask for a voucher for furniture, I think you have to specify exactly what you need. Then when you get the voucher take it to their thrift store and if they have the items you need, you can obtain them. Most of the time you won't get to pick from the better items that they have, they will have you select from the lesser quality ones. You also won't get anything of the electronic type. Most of the time they will have you transport the items too.

Goodwill warehouses have some selection sometimes and are very inexpensive. The items are not always in the best of shape, but some furniture polish and elbow grease will help. I have seen some great things and also some real junk. The Goodwill warehouses are not the same of the stores and sell furniture by the item, but most items are by the pound with half price on the first Saturday of the month.

Go to freecycle.org and find list near you: http://www.freecycle.org/

You can post that you are looking for free furniture, or just watch the offerings for a couple weeks. You certainly see some decent furniture posted if you have an active freecycle list in your area. Just be ready to go pick up what you claim quickly. If you don't respond quickly, you'll likely miss out on good items.

I know bigger churches, Salvation Army and some Am Vet places give vouchers. You have to contact the office, not in the store. This is where you volunteer usually is where the main offices are. Calling 211 may have numbers, addresses for you. If you have a large privately owned furniture store in your area, you can write a letter stating your needs, with furniture that has been on the floor, scratched etc. sometimes they work with a charity who does just what you are in need of. My friend who has a Ministry worked with a couple stores. Also check Catholic Charities I know they try to help. God bless you!

Try craigslist.com or see if you have a freecycle.com in your area. Good luck

It's easier said than done. Try the Salvation Army.

I've mental health issues and just moved into my own flat. I have no furniture, kettle, pots, pans, etc. Where can I find free or inexpensive items?

Where can I find free or low cost furniture? My child and I just moved and we don't have any furniture.

I desperately need furniture for myself and two children. We lost everything before moving and I just got a job and my own place, but do not have any furniture at all. We need as much help as we can get.

I need help to get three (3) twin size mattresses, box springs, and frames for my three boys. Their dad passed away and we have nothing anymore. We need three small dressers and one double size bed for myself. I have spine problems and I have to have spine surgery soon. I have had one life threatening spine surgery already at University of Maryland. We live in Aberdeen Maryland. I can't find help anywhere. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

My children and I have lost everything and are now restarting. How do I go about finding out if I can get help getting furniture or if someone is giving anything away?
Thank you in advance.

I am in need of a refrigerator, washer, and dryer. I lost just about everything and need some help. Any ideas where I can find replacements.

By Cynthia J from Wyandotte, MI

I just moved in a new house and I do not have any living room furniture. Where can I find free furniture?

By Leshekia

Answers

Almost all areas have Salvation Army Thrift Stores, if not in your town, nearby. Go to their church office and prove that you need free furniture and they will give you a voucher to take their thrift store and if they have living room furniture they will give it to you. However, be prepared because most places that give free furniture won't deliver it, you have to be able to transport it. It also won't be anything in great condition, because they have you pick from the least good items. You also won't get anything like a TV or stereo system. I would suggest asking your pastor if he knows anybody in the church that has some old furniture they want to get rid of. That way they might even be willing to haul it to you. Didn't you have a living room before? Actually in a pinch you could get by with a couple inexpensive bean bag chairs. or use your dining chairs and until you get on your feet you could use things like large rubbermaid totes for tables, and if you don't like the way that looks you could cover them with cloth. By using these you are combining usefulness with storage.

Check Craigslist in your area to see if anyone wants to get rid of furniture. Does your town have a bulk trash pick-up day when residents can put out large items? Drive around the night before to see if anything good can be salvaged.

freecycle.org for your area, or craigslist on the free section.

Go to www.freecycle.org in your state.

You can also try here: http://www.freecycle.org/ and find your state and city (or city closest to you) It's a group dedicated in instead of filling up landfills with stuff they don't want, they try and find it a new home. Good luck!

My daughter, son, and I left their abusive dad. We are starting over with nothing. I found a charity that got us an apartment, but we have no furniture.

I really need a good sturdy couch for free that can be delivered. I'm disabled an have no vehicle.

I need some free stuff, including a sofa and cooker, but I don't know where to start.

By Heather

I'm a single mother of 2. I receive disability and some government help. I have been living with my sister and I just qualified for my own apartment. I'm in need of furniture. My income source is barely enough to pay rent and expenses. I don't have enough left to buy furniture. If any one can help me find away to find some very cheap furniture it would be very much appreciated. Thank you, a family in need.

By sandovalangie from El Paso, TX

Do you know where in the Berks county area I can find an organization that helps people out with free furniture?

By WB

If anyone has any information as to where I would be able to obtain furniture vouchers, please pass along the information. My family's home was destroyed in a fire and we lost everything. We were blessed to find a new place and would appreciate your help in finding furniture vouchers. Or if you can tell me how to find couches, beds, kitchen supplies, or anything that would help, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

By jewels2 from PA

I looking for furniture in my area. How can I find free or inexpensive furniture? I am needing a dresser, an old TV, and stands for a split box spring for a queen and a full size mattress.

By Shanaw from Mt Airy

Answers

Most Salvation Army Thrift Stores give out vouchers for free items. It is for necessities, not TVs. You have to go to their church office and ask for a voucher for these items from the thrift store. They don't always have the items, but if they do they will give them to you.

You can also ask on craigslist and also look for a freecycle group in your area. You also have to be able to transport free items. Actually as long as you have mattresses you are luckier than a lot of people, and a lot of people are satisfied sleeping on a mattress on the floor. Other than freecycle and craigslist, any non-profit you go to that gives furniture away will have paper work for you to fill out listing gross income, etc.

If you find out when your locale is having large item garbage pickup, often you can just drive around a few days prior, and find things like that just sitting roadside, waiting for pickup.

You can go to www.freecycle.org and see if they have a group near you or in your town. It is just made up of people trying to keep usable items out of landfills and a lot of good items are given away on there. You can offer items or ask for them. A very good group to belong to.

Check out "Free" on Craigslist.

I am in desperate need for a king or queen size bed for me and my husband. Just not making ends meet. Don't want to sleep on the floor any longer. Please help me.

Where can I get free funiture near me?

My familly is in dire need of furniture including cupboards, beds, and even kitchen cupboards. I have now recently taken in two family members and we have moved into a backyard flat and have absolutely nothing not even a fridge. I am a low income worker and I am at this stage taking care of and providing for a family of five. We are sleeping on the floor and our clothes, food, and utensils are at this stage all over the place, standing and stored on the floor.

I just moved to South Carolina and I don't have anything. I'm a single mom of 2 kids and I really need furniture like beds for my kids.

Thanks.

My kitchen caught on fire and my insurance will not cover everything. I am a single mom. I am struggling. I don't have money to replace everything in my kitchen. My stove, microwave, and cabinets everything is destroyed! Are there places that can help me replace the basics in my house? I need a stove, how can I cook? I don't have the money to go out and get food everyday. Who could help me replace my kitchen, I dont have any money! Were can I go? I live Richmond Virginia.

My wife and I need a bed. We are sleeping on the floor.

By 1mariahsdad

Load More