Finding Free Furniture

Category Home & Garden
If you need to furnish your home or apartment inexpensively, it doesn't get any better than finding free furniture. This is a guide about finding free furniture.

I sign up for the freecycle yahoo posting in our area. I received some really nice furniture this way. Also in Florida, what people don't want they put on the curb, and you are free to take it. We look at the piece to see if it is good or worth redoing.

By Lori M. from Palm Bay, FL

Top Comment

I love freecycle. I have given some items away and have gotten an exercise bike, office chair, moving boxes, a headboard, mattress topper, quilt, drapes, and more! Craigslist also has free items.

Top Comment

I signed up for freecycle and literally got tons of emails. I would suggest if you sign up, use a separate email address from the one you use for friends and newsletters, like Thrifty Fun, etc. My mind isn't what it used to be and I forgot about which email I had used.

Before I got back to check it, I had 25,000 - no joke - emails in about a year. I deleted all of them over several days and now keep it clear so they don't accumulate. I can now see what's current. Who knew one email address could handle 25,000 emails! Whew. Just a cautionary tip from my experience.

Find out when large item garbage pick-up is happening around you. In the days before that date, inspect furniture sitting at roadside. Explore the alleys and dumpsters behind places of business. Sometimes businesses discard slightly worn furniture that is still useable.

By Vivian P.

Top Comment

This is a great tip. I've discarded so many couches and other furniture items over the years. I didn't have garbage pick up back then, but I used to set them alongside the road anyway, for anyone to pick up as they please. I'd leave it there as long as I thought it would last; I didn't want anyone having to pick up something that had sat in the rain or had bugs or something. But, if no one took it, it eventually ended up at the Goodwill or Salvation Army.

Sometimes even these places are too expensive for people, tho, so it's great to remind others to check out sidewalks and what not! And, for anyone looking to give their furniture to a Goodwill who doesn't mind not receiving the tax break, it's always nice to set your furniture out or even ask around and post free classifieds, letting people in need know that there are options out there. God bless!

When I need something I ask my friends to "ask around" for me. Most of the time someone has the item and they simply want to get it "out of the way". When I wanted a full size bed to put in the basement for the nights that Tornado warnings are out, I did exactly that.

And sure enough someone had a nice bed to give away. Works for me!

With limited funds, 100.00 per month, that I have left after bills are paid, how can I get a bed and furniture for a one bedroom apartment in Georgia?
I am on SSDI and have tried the social services, but to no avail.

By Marie

Answers

Best Answer

Try freecycle.org It's a website where people give away stuff they don't need any more, such as furniture, clothing, etc. They have local organizations all over the World. Everything is FREE...no strings. You just have to pick it up. Check it out.

Best Answer

I'd try garage sales. Usually they're just wanting to get rid of everything so you can get some great buys.

I have a desk I bought for $5. Spray painted it & now it looks completely different. Also, check out your local thrift stores. Good luck to you!

How do I get help finding free furniture?

Answers

Best Answer

You can get free furniture if you live in a college town. The students who live off campus have to clear out their apartments when they leave. If there is a condo complex or apartment complex check their trash rooms at the end of each semester. And you can check Craigslist. Also, get in touch with landlords in your area. They often have furniture that has been left by tenants.

Best Answer

Join Freecycle and put an ad in. They also have a lot of posts giving away free furniture.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Go to Freecycle.org and enter your town and state and it will connect you with the closest Freecycle website where you can register and get updates when someone posts free furniture and other durable goods. You can also post if you are in need of a specific item such as making a post "Wanted: Full size bed" and anyone having one that they can give you will respond.

There is one thing you must remember. When you email the person and tell them you will pick up the item, make sure you follow through. You can be blacklisted if you fail to follow up and either pick up the item or let them know you will not be picking it up and why. And if you list an item, please make sure to follow up with a post that the item has been picked up. It is just common sense and common courtesy.

Best Answer

JUst to add another layer to the already great answers above, never underestimate the power of driving by the posh section of town a couple of days before garbage day. Or as someone already mentioned, driving by the curb of a college town at the end of each semester (december or may, depending).

I picked up some AMAZING pieces in the Buckhead area of Atlanta - things I was later on able to resell for $100 when we finally moved.

As for the college, when people are stressed out and needing to vacate in a hurry, they get rid of amazing things.

An ancillary response is dumpster diving, though I've never been much into this. It is dangerous and the dumpster people don't generally like you to do it.

I need free home and kitchen furniture. Please let me know the best places to look.

By Y. Murugan

Answers

Best Answer

Go to the Salvation Army in your area. First you will have to go their office and ask for a voucher for furniture, I think you have to specify exactly what you need. Then when you get the voucher take it to their thrift store and if they have the items you need, you can obtain them. Most of the time you won't get to pick from the better items that they have, they will have you select from the lesser quality ones. You also won't get anything of the electronic type. Most of the time they will have you transport the items too.

Best Answer

Goodwill warehouses have some selection sometimes and are very inexpensive. The items are not always in the best of shape, but some furniture polish and elbow grease will help. I have seen some great things and also some real junk. The Goodwill warehouses are not the same of the stores and sell furniture by the item, but most items are by the pound with half price on the first Saturday of the month.

Best Answer

Go to freecycle.org and find list near you: http://www.freecycle.org/

You can post that you are looking for free furniture, or just watch the offerings for a couple weeks. You certainly see some decent furniture posted if you have an active freecycle list in your area. Just be ready to go pick up what you claim quickly. If you don't respond quickly, you'll likely miss out on good items.

Best Answer

I know bigger churches, Salvation Army and some Am Vet places give vouchers. You have to contact the office, not in the store. This is where you volunteer usually is where the main offices are. Calling 211 may have numbers, addresses for you. If you have a large privately owned furniture store in your area, you can write a letter stating your needs, with furniture that has been on the floor, scratched etc. sometimes they work with a charity who does just what you are in need of. My friend who has a Ministry worked with a couple stores. Also check Catholic Charities I know they try to help. God bless you!

Where can I find a free dresser?

Answers

Best Answer

Craigslist is an excellent source for finding inexpensive furniture. However, they also have a "Free" section. Look in the "For Sale" area on the main page of your local Craigslist page and you will see a link to the free stuff. There are a surprising amount of valuable items you can get at no charge simply for hauling them away from the owner. If you don't find a dresser there today, check tomorrow, there are always new items being added. Good luck!

I just moved in a new house and I do not have any living room furniture. Where can I find free furniture?

By Leshekia

Answers

Best Answer

Almost all areas have Salvation Army Thrift Stores, if not in your town, nearby. Go to their church office and prove that you need free furniture and they will give you a voucher to take their thrift store and if they have living room furniture they will give it to you. However, be prepared because most places that give free furniture won't deliver it, you have to be able to transport it. It also won't be anything in great condition, because they have you pick from the least good items. You also won't get anything like a TV or stereo system. I would suggest asking your pastor if he knows anybody in the church that has some old furniture they want to get rid of. That way they might even be willing to haul it to you. Didn't you have a living room before? Actually in a pinch you could get by with a couple inexpensive bean bag chairs. or use your dining chairs and until you get on your feet you could use things like large rubbermaid totes for tables, and if you don't like the way that looks you could cover them with cloth. By using these you are combining usefulness with storage.

Best Answer

Check Craigslist in your area to see if anyone wants to get rid of furniture. Does your town have a bulk trash pick-up day when residents can put out large items? Drive around the night before to see if anything good can be salvaged.

Best Answer

You can also try here: http://www.freecycle.org/ and find your state and city (or city closest to you) It's a group dedicated in instead of filling up landfills with stuff they don't want, they try and find it a new home. Good luck!

I am a single mom of 3 girls. I just moved into a house. I need help with a bed for myself and dressers for me and my children. I am on welfare and am struggling very hard. I have looked all over Craigslist for free furniture and I'm getting nowhere. Can somebody please help me with other suggestions for finding the pieces I need?

Answers

Best Answer

Look at the Goodwill Outlet. Not a regular one but an outlet. I hope you find one nearby! Sometimes the furniture is scarred or needs a little repair work but most pieces are $3-$5. Good luck and big hugs to you and to your girls! They are lucky to have a mom who takes good care of them. http://www.gwou  torelocator.com/

Best Answer

Nextdoor.com and Craigslist.org are my top two favourite sites for finding these things. You'll need an account for Nexdoor. Good luck!

I'm a single mother of three children. I'm on SSI disability. My children are sleeping on a mattress on the floor at this moment. I am divorced from my husband and was left with nothing. I don't know where to go. I can't afford to buy anything because my check is only $661 from my SSI disability.

Answers

Best Answer

You should register with Freecycle in your area. Keep a look out on this site and you can also make a list of what you need. People here give so many things away for free. I am sure if you explained your problem and added a list of items, people there would help you out. They are so good.

Does anyone know where a nonprofit organization can go to get donated or cheap furniture to decorate an office in or near Philadelphia?

By A. Thomas

Answers

Best Answer

You can always get cheap furniture at thrift stores. Also go to Craig's list and freecycle.com. All the items might not match, but I have worked in a couple non-profit offices that had donated furniture that didn't match. One of the offices did have matched chairs in the lobby and a nice big table with matching chairs in the conference room and those items had been acquired from another office that was re-decorating.

Load More