How to Find Free or Inexpensive Furniture

Category Home & Garden
Financial circumstances often make it impossible to purchase new furniture. This is a guide about how to find free or inexpensive furniture.

I am a mom in need of household items, furniture, twin bed, double bed and mattress and boxspring for both, living room stuff, and kitchen stuff. I need all of it. Thank you and God bless.

By Kellie keel from Columbus, IN

Answers

Best Answer

Salvation Army Thrift Stores sometimes give out vouchers for free furniture from their Thrift Stores. It depends on what they have. Also, if you have a social worker with the Department of Social Services, they should be able to refer you to places. Keep in mind that when you get free furniture, a lot of places require you to transport it yourself. They will load it into whatever transportation you have, but to get it home and unloaded is your responsibility.

Best Answer

In my state we have survival centers. They are usually next door to food banks.

This is where people donate items such as you need and they are free. See if your town offers a service like this.

Best Answer

Go to craigslist and put in your city. and there is a free section. Check daily. Also check your thrift stores about volcher programs for needy families. Good luck.

I need help with bedroom and living room furniture. I have 2 boys. I'm a stay at home full time mom. My husband and I are financially struggling and can not afford to get any furniture.
Thank you and God bless.

Answers

Best Answer

Goodwill, Salvation Army, and such local thrift shops often have good used furniture that is donated to their organization. One good thing about these places is that they do inspect/sanitize the furniture before putting it on the floor.

Another suggestion I have is if you are a crafty sort, you can make all sorts of furniture and things with pallet wood and wood scraps if you would have some place local that is trying to find an outlet for disposal. This method requires a saw to cut the nails with and a lot of hand labor, but is quite rewarding. You can use this wood to make bed frames, living room furniture, bookcases, tables, etc.. pin terest has all kinds of ideas for this.

I'm a mom of 3 and am looking for a sofa in good condition. Does anyone know the best way I can find one? Thanks.

By Pamela Kirkpatrick from Enid, OK

Answers:

Have you tried your local Salvation Army store or Goodwill store? They often have beautiful furniture for next to nothing. (06/22/2010)

By AvaElizabeth

Go to the Salvation Army office and ask about free furniture. If they have anything to give away, you should be able to get a voucher to take to their thrift store. Also call the Department of Social Services and explain your situation, maybe they can tell you of a place that you can go to obtain what you need. I know where I live there is a place called The Furniture Mission, that takes in gently used furniture, and anything needing to be cleaned or have small repairs made, is done by volunteers. People can go there and get what they need, however they do need to have a voucher from a social worker, and/or I don't know what other organizations would be acceptable. The Mission is operated by a group of churches in town. (06/22/2010)

By Joan

I'm with the Thrift Shop people. I recently bought a beautiful couch, can find nothing wrong with it for only $65.00! I have been going to thrift stores and yard sales for over 40 years; so buy very few things new anymore.

Here are some tips:
Go online and find every single thrift store in your area within the # of miles you want to go, both big and little. Put info on the list for hours, phones, what items you have bought there if you want, etc. Convert it into a driving map. Keep a list of things you are looking for in your car, both in shops and yard sales. It may take a while and a few trips.
Don' be afraid to ask if this is their "best price" or when their sale days are, will they deliver, etc.
For furniture I would look first at the thrift stores. Be careful at private sales you can't always see the bugs till you get home.

The kids and I would take a day and have fun! And on the way to the first store we would stop at every single yard sale. You won't believe the money you will save. Have fun. (06/22/2010)

By Dahl

Try your local Freecycle (or similar site) or free stuff on your local Craigslist! (06/22/2010)

By pam munro

Try this website for thrift stores in your area. http://www.thethriftshopper.com/ (06/28/2010)

By DeBushe

If you are affiliated with a church of any sort, be sure to let your Sunday School members or your church circle know that you are in need. We have helped so many people at our church find the things they've needed, so it's always my first place to turn when anyone needs anything. It's also the first place we turn when we have anything that someone might need when we are ready to share it. Whether it's an excess of food, toiletry items, linens or clothing or an older car, we first try to find someone through our church who is in need.

We also have a church pantry which is a bit more than just food items. In that pantry, we keep all kinds of things for people who might be living out of their cars for instance, and who would have no way of cooking or preparing food other than things like canned meats, canned beans, crackers and cookies. We might also have things like single use containers of shampoo, lotion, soap, washcloths, maybe towels, things that can be used without needing a home, electricity, etc.

I hope this helps you. Your church can be a wonderful helping hand and you can give back just as much as you get in your own time and way.
Good luck and God bless you.
(06/28/2010)

By Julia

Check out the resale or consignment stores in your area. By law (at least in Ohio), they must use a particular disinfectant spray on all pieces of upholstered furniture and bedding before they are allowed to sell it. If you don't find what you want, leave your specifications with the shop owner. My sister owns a resale shop and she keeps lists of what people need in case she finds the items at estate sales. If you let the shop owner know that you will only buy it if it's what you want, you will not be obligated. (06/28/2010)

By Chris

Ask everyone you know if they know of anybody who has (whatever it is you are looking for) that they want to get rid of. One time at work, I was asking people if they knew of anyone who needed a loveseat, and one of the girls said that she did and would be happy to come and get it. It made both of us happy. (06/28/2010)

By Sandy Kinney

You probably already found one, but I recently got a really nice but affordable couch at Overstock.com. You might want to check them out: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sofas-Loveseats/Sofas,/category,/2027/subcat.html (10/13/2010)

By Julia

I and my two sons are in need of some furniture for our new apartment. Where can I go to get free furniture?

We are a large family and we have moved out of a homeless shelter and are looking for help to get furniture. We have 5 boys and 1 girl and would like to make a nice home for the children.

I want to know where to get a sofa for free, I'm in need of it.

How do I get free used furniture?

I am looking for free furniture or furniture under $20. Living Room furniture is my preference.