How to Find Free or Inexpensive Furniture

I want to know where to get a sofa for free, I'm in need of it.

By Marleni from Providence, RI

Answers:

Have you tried Freecycle in your area? It goes by counties. Just type www.Freecycle.com and check it out. People give away things they no longer need. It always makes me feel good to know I've helped another person with something I no longer want. Good luck. (09/15/2009)

By Grandma Bess

Check your local churches, they often get donated furniture. Also look on your local FreeCycle site and Craigslist.com. (09/15/2009)

By RealtorRose

I was going to say the same thing as the other two posts so far, but be careful. You won't know what kind of bugs or germs might be on/in them. When I first went out on my own in 1972 I bought a really cheap new twin bed size box spring and placed it on bricks and used pillows for back comfort. No one really "needs" an actual sofa. (09/18/2009)

By Deeli

Try alley shopping and curb shopping. People throw away very nice furniture. (09/19/2009)

By kagej10

Have you tried your local Goodwill? My first couch after getting married came from Goodwill and it was free.
Depending on where you are you could try yard sales; specifically moving sales. If you see something you like, but can't afford it you can give the owners your name and number and tell them if they don't sell it you'll buy it for such and such or you'll take it off their hands.

These people are moving they don't want to move large furniture more than they have to. Example: my father was cleaning out my parents' home in Florida and hauling stuff back to what is now his year round house. He had a yard sale the weekend before leaving Florida with his stuff. He had a perfectly good side by side refrigerator that he eventually gave away to the first person that asked about it. (11/13/2009)

By Suntydt