Finding a Free Bed

Category Home & Garden
Financial circumstances may require that you attempt to locate free furniture rather than buy new or used items. This is a guide about finding a free bed.

Where can I get a bed? I am a single mother and cannot afford a bed for myself. Somebody stole my bed and I am sleeping on a cot at the moment and really need a bed. Can anyone help me with any resources?

Answers

Best Answer

It would help if we knew if you were in a large city or small town. I would get on the phone and call churches and ask whoever you talk to if there is a bulletin board for their parish.I'll be some family has an extra bed and even someone would have a truck to help deliver it.Call any food bank organization because they usually have links to other sorts of help. If there is a craigslist for your area, look under free listing. There are always people giving away beds. Facebook too is a good place to put out the word. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Don't know where you live, but here in Illinois we have a site called "Freecycle". Give it a try.

Best Answer

If you live in a larger city where there is a Salvation Army, you can get a voucher once a year for a piece of furniture - I'm assuming a bed would be furniture, right. Doesn't hurt to try!

Best Answer

Try hope to dream by Ashley Furniture. They gave both of my kids beds

I am 62 yrs old. I am single with no one to help me. I have heart disease as well as other medical problems. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap or free bed?

By D.M. Peterson

Answers

Best Answer

Go to the office of your local Salvation Army and tell them you need a bed and they will give you a voucher to take to their Thrift Store for a free bed. That being said, if they have any beds. Also most thrift stores won't let people pick from the best choices for free items. They usually have a separate section of free stuff. Another thing most of the thrift stores require that you pick up the items yourself. Another option would be an air mattress, you can get some that are quite good for not too much, and some of them are almost as tall as a bed. Also talk to your pastor he just might know somebody that has a spare bed that they would donate and sometimes they might also take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation.

Best Answer

Have you tried https://www.freecycle.org/ ? There is usually a local chapter within a few miles of wherever you live. Go to the national site and they will direct you to your local sites, then just ask for what you need.

How do I get a bed? I had to throw my bed out; it was infested with bed bugs. My apartment has been fumigated and bombed 4 weeks in a row so now the bugs are gone, but I am sleeping on the floor. With the hip replacement and my heart valve repair I am in pain almost constantly. The Salvation Army cannot help, Catholic Charities does not give vouchers any more, and I am on a fixed income. How do I get a bed or even a good clean air bed?

Answers

Best Answer

You do not say if you have a way to pick up a bed/mattress so that may be your biggest problem as many "give-a-ways" do not provide delivery so be sure that you ask about this when you call or visit any of these suggested sites.
Craigslist and Freecycle all have free ads where people can post things they wish to give away and also where you can post what you need.
Other places:
1) Hotels and Apartment Complexes often have mattresses left in storage when they purchase new ones.
2) Furniture Stores often take "trade-ins" (or have to pick up old mattresses when delivering a new one) and wind up dumping them.
3) Thrift Shops (church, hospice, private, Goodwill) often have items they cannot put in their shops or might even know someone who has an "extra".
Just remember - most likely you will have to arrange your own pick up/delivery.

I'm in need of 2 twin beds for my children, but we can't afford new ones. We're extremely low income. I'd like to know of any programs that would help families in need with beds and bedding in Iowa please.

Answers

You can put an ad on Freecycle or Craigslist. Churches can also help.

You can search Craigslist under for sale > free and some people post free beds, bedding there. Good luck!

The free stuff section of your Craigslist or Nextdoor.com in your city should have some. Good luck!!!!!

Also contact your local St. Vincent dePaul and Salvation Army. They can give you a voucher for a couple of free beds at their stores. You may be able to also get food, power assistance and clothes for the kids. I hope things get better for you soon.

Your local church is the best place to start as they may know your family circumstances and be willing to help with things like this. Hopefully you have someone with transportation to pick up whatever you find as asking someone to deliver and (and set up?) is a lot more than just finding the beds. Delivering is a big job so be sure you have a plan before placing an ad (state if you can pick up or if you need beds delivered).
You will probably not be seeing any new beds offered on any of these sites so please do not get your hopes set on that. You will also need mattresses and linens so give that some thought also.

what area do you live in

In addition to Craigslist, you can check Facebook where some people list free beds, bedding, and items you may need. I hope you find what you are looking for.

I'm a single parent with 2 beautiful girls, ages 16 and 12. I'm in dire need of 2 twin beds. Where can I get them?

By Brenda J.

Answers

Try some of these links for Freecycle
http://freecycle.com/
You can probably find some free beds before the day is over! Good luck.

Where in Colorado Springs can I get a free bed?

Answers

Freecycle or Craigslist.org are good places. Or you could go on Facebook and look for a local buy/sell/giveaway group. IF you are not squeamish (bed bugs!!!) you could always go dumpster diving.

You could look at the curb after people move out. Also look in apartment complexes near the end of the month.

I am a 52 year old veteran and a mother of four children. On May.17,2013 I was walking in the cross walk going home when a red pick up truck ran over me and kept going. I broke a few ribs, shattered my pelvis, tore my bladder, broke my clavicle, and my right arm. I truly need a bed, I can not continue to sleep on the floor with the type of injuries I have. I am a low income parent and I'm unable to afford a soft bed. So please point me in the right direction of someone/company that can help. God bless you all and thank you with all my heart.

By Uraina

Answers

Most of the places that will give out free furniture will expect you to be able to haul it. Your best bet, providing you have somebody that will take you to pick it up, will be to go to the office of your local Salvation Army and ask for a voucher for a free bed. They will give that to you, to take to their Thrift Store, and if the store has any beds to give away, they will give it to you. They don't always have the items that a person needs. Most of the stores won't let a person pick from their best items, they will have a certain section set aside for free items. You could also speak to the pastor of your church, he might know of people in the congregation that have an extra bed, and would be willing to deliver it. Also sometimes the pastor of a church will take up a special anonymous offering for a member that needs help.