Finding a Free Mattress and Boxspring

Category Home & Garden
Finding a free mattress and boxspring is possible. A few options such as contacting local hotels are listed on this page. This is a page about finding a free mattress and boxspring.

I'm trying to get my 18 yr old son a bed. We get SSI and SSA, but after rent and paying power and gas I just don't have extra $$ for a twin mattress. I've been looking on the free section on all sites, but no luck. If I do find a bed I don't have gas to pick it up. I just want him to have something to sleep on. The one he has now, he's had since age 8. The springs are coming through and it's killing his back, etc. So I am asking if you know where to find one free.
Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

These are some unique tips that I would never have thought about for inquiring a free mattress:

www.hunker.com/.../how-to-get-a-free-mattress

- You can contact local hotels and ask if they are renovating or soon to and you'll be happy to take a bed off their hands. I did hear on the news that some hotels sell their furniture for really cheap when they're renovating.
- I know you've mentioned you searched the free sections of Craigslist, but you could post an ad asking for a free mattress and to be delivered.

That it would be greatly appreciated that way they do not have to pay disposal fees on their end to bring the mattress to the landfill.
- Any friends/family/neighbors purchasing a new mattress? And instead of giving it to the company they purchased the mattress for recycle, if they can give the mattress to you.
- Contact any smaller mattress companies and ask if they would delivery you a mattress they are going to go recycle to the landfill.

Best Answer

Finding a free mattress.

Step 1
Check with the motels in your area they my have extras they do not need and give you one.

Step 2
Apartment complexes sometimes get stuck with matresses when people move out they would be glad for you to take it.

Step 3
Check with furniture stores they take the old mattresses when they deliver a new one.They may have one in storage.

I'm on SSD and disabled. I'm in need of a queen size boxspring and mattress. The one I have is over 12 yrs. old. Can someone please give me some ideas on who to contact or where to look?

I would be so grateful. Once my rent, utilities, and auto insurance are paid my head is hardly above water.

Answers

Best Answer

SENIORS-National Council On Aging (NCOA)
US Administration on Aging 800.677.1116 www.eldercare.gov-financial, employment, legal & caregiving help
The National Counseling On Aging has a free resource site:
www.BenefitsCheckUp.org
This site is a confidential and free and easy resource service to help people 55 years and older locate and apply for benefits. There are numerous financial assistance programs, both public and private, that can help struggling Seniors trying to make ends meet. The site has information on more than 2000 programs. Many are available to anyone in need who qualify, while others are available only to older adults and can help them retain their independence.
Benefit Types:
Food Assistance, Health Care, Prescription Drugs, Utility Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), low income housing, tax relief, respite care, free legal assistance and many other benefit programs are available.

To use the site, you enter basic information about the person in need-date of birth, zip code, and check boxes for what the person needs assistance with. The site generates a report instantly, listing links to the programs and services that the person may qualify for.
Some assistance programs can be applied for online while other have downloadable form to be printed and mailed, faxed or emailed in, and some require you to contact the program directly.
Benefits Enrollment Center
It is also possible to get help in person at a Benefits Enrollment Center. There are currently 36 centers in 24 states and 12 more will be added in 2016. Visit the online site for locations:
www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs
BottomLinePersonal.com050116-DCA

Where can I get a free new mattress for my girlfriend and I?

Answers

If you are looking to get a brand new mattress for free, that would be hard to come by unless you're in a situation where people would help and chip in for you two to get a mattress for free.

Here are some ideas that could work for you:

• Many give away their old mattresses for free when they get a new one.
  • Some sell mattresses online (some even like new condition because the mattress doesn't work out for them)
  • You can check on Craigslist, NextDoor, Facebook Market, Freecycle. But ideally I would think it's best if the mattress wasn't outdoors or at the curb because of bugs. In general - it is a risk of getting any pre-owned mattresses, because of bed bugs.
  • You could ask word of mouth - family members, friends, co-workers if they have any free mattress you could have?
  • If you're looking to purchase a brand new mattress, many bed companies have a certain warranty or money back guaranteed for x amount of days if you are unsatisfied for money back, but you have to read the fine print clearly. Money refunded may take awhile, or you have to pay shipping back, etc.
  • Take a look at Yardsale/Garage Sales.
  • You could also drive by apartment complexes, some move out and toss things out.
  • Advertisement

• There are thrift stores especially like Goodwill Outlet where they sell inexpensive furniture.
  • If you were involved in a natural disaster, you could ask Red Cross or Furniture Banks.

Good luck to you.

Getting a new mattress may be impossible. However, I have seen many mattresses offered on Freecycle. A lot of them are barely used, as they were in guest rooms.

My favourite place is NextDoor for reliability and general cleanliness, not to mention it will most likely be avail for pick up right by you as they go by neighbourhood blocks. Good luck to you!

Some thrift stores still occasionally have a used mattress but most have stopped selling or refuse to even take one in sue to the potential bed bug problem. Some thrift stores in the past have had to pay to have the bugs removed from their stores.

Occasionally you will find one at Salvation Army, Goodwill or a Habitat store for a few dollars but you have to have your own help to load and transport home.

Nextdoor is an excellent place to check and you can place a 'wanted' ad to see if anyone in your neighborhood has one for free. Someone may even help you move it.

nextdoor.com/

You can also place wanted ads on Craigslist and Freecycle but these could be in any kind of condition and pick up may not be easy.

Furniture stores will sometimes have used mattresses they have picked up when delivering a new set. They do not usually sell them but put them in their throw away area and can be picked up for free. You may have to check often until you find one in the size you need and in good condition (before it is exposed to bad weather).

Everyone has given great info. The only thing I can add is if you are in need because of a financial hardship, are in recovery, or been affected by a fire or other disaster AND you belong to a church or other religious organization, some have discretionary funds that they will bequeath to congregants in need. Most have no repayment programs, but do ask if you are able to at one point, that you repay the favor when you can, but if you can't, they don't come after you. Talk to the parish/group leader and inquire. You never know until you ask!

Prayers for you both!

I saw a lot of mattresses at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I don't know if they are free but they are probably inexpensive. Otherwise, Craigslist and Freecycle may be a good resource.

Good luck!

I'm in need of a new mattress. I've had my right hip replaced, but the implant has issues and needs to be replaced. I had to put my mattress in storage where mice chewed holes in it exactly where my hip rests. I am disabled and have no money to buy mattress.

Answers

Put a want ad in Freecycle or Craigslist. A local church may be able to help, too.

Please contact the social work team at the hospital where you had your surgery and ask them to assist you with this request! At least where I am, all of the hospitals have teams of social workers who can help with the post op needs of patients from their facility. They should be able to put you in contact with a resource that can provide a mattress that will be safe for you (clean, and the right type) for your recovery. Be sure to tell them that you will need help with both obtaining it and getting into your residence so they can plan accordingly.

Please post back with what you learn. Sending up healing prayers!

Hi,

I agree with contacting the hospital that did your surgery and asking about where to get a prescription for a bed so you can recover. Also, your doctor might be able to help you get a bed as well. I wish you the best in everything.

Blessings,

Robyn

You can try to contact your insurance company to see if a bed would be covered like a rental hospital bed!

You can check Craigslist, Next Door or ask anyone if they have a free bed available (there are some nice neighbors!) :)

Consumer Advice Shopping Home & GardenAugust 27, 2018
🌻
🎃
🎂