Looking for a Free Mattress and Box Spring

I'm trying to get my 18 yr old son a bed. We get SSI and SSA, but after rent and paying power and gas I just don't have extra $$ for a twin mattress. I've been looking on the free section on all sites, but no luck. If I do find a bed I don't have gas to pick it up. I just want him to have something to sleep on. The one he has now, he's had since age 8. The springs are coming through and it's killing his back, etc. So I am asking if you know where to find one free.

Thank you.

Best Answer

These are some unique tips that I would never have thought about for inquiring a free mattress:

www.hunker.com/.../how-to-get-a-free-mattress

- You can contact local hotels and ask if they are renovating or soon to and you'll be happy to take a bed off their hands. I did hear on the news that some hotels sell their furniture for really cheap when they're renovating.
- I know you've mentioned you searched the free sections of Craigslist, but you could post an ad asking for a free mattress and to be delivered. That it would be greatly appreciated that way they do not have to pay disposal fees on their end to bring the mattress to the landfill.
- Any friends/family/neighbors purchasing a new mattress? And instead of giving it to the company they purchased the mattress for recycle, if they can give the mattress to you.

- Contact any smaller mattress companies and ask if they would delivery you a mattress they are going to go recycle to the landfill.

Best Answer

Finding a free mattress.

Step 1
Check with the motels in your area they my have extras they do not need and give you one.

Step 2
Apartment complexes sometimes get stuck with matresses when people move out they would be glad for you to take it.

Step 3
Check with furniture stores they take the old mattresses when they deliver a new one.They may have one in storage.

Try the Salvation Army, they might be able to help you.