Repairing a Box Spring Mattress

Category Beds
Rather than toss out an old box spring mattress you may be able to clean and repair it. This is a guide about repairing a box spring mattress.

Instead of buying a new box springs, I ripped the old cover and padding off of our current box springs. I padded the box springs with polyester padding and a padded bedspread. I used plastic tie down strips to anchor the padding to the springs. Then I used a staple gun to attach the padding and cover to the frame. I saved us a few hundred dollars by doing this myself and not having to buy a new one. The box springs was in excellent condition. The cover and padding were ruined. My husband was very proud of me for doing this and saving us so much money.

By Linda from Arlington, TX

We need box springs for a bed we have. We have some older ones that where put in the barn and are very messy and full of spider webs and such. Can I rip off all the covering and padding and clean it up and recover them? Or are they too much of a risk of being a lost cause? We are putting 2 twins together for our daughter to make a bigger bed. The mattresses are from her bunk bed and so she didn't have box springs. I really didn't want to go out and spend a lot of money. What else could I do so her mattresses aren't just on the floor?

Answers

Build a simple wood box the dimensions of the two mattresses and height you need. Paint or stain. Can add storage with drawers or simply empty sections.

We did this once. We pulled off all of the torn fabric and the padding, and aired the frame outside for a couple of days in the sun. Then we put new foam padding (recycled leftovers from another project) on the corners (stapled in place), covered that with a new mattress pad using more staples on the underneath to hold it in place. Then we covered the mattress pad with a nice thrift-store twin sheet, and voila! "new" box springs!

That was about eight years ago, and it still looks good and works well.
It helps to have an upholstery stapler to do this project!

Thank you for the answers, I really want to try this, but my husband is to worried that it would be to infested and nasty. The loft is all storage, no hay or anything. Yes spiders, cobwebs and such, but I'm willing to do it. I'm really going to try and talk him into it. Wish me luck!