Finding a Free Bed

How do I get a bed? I had to throw my bed out; it was infested with bed bugs. My apartment has been fumigated and bombed 4 weeks in a row so now the bugs are gone, but I am sleeping on the floor. With the hip replacement and my heart valve repair I am in pain almost constantly. The Salvation Army cannot help, Catholic Charities does not give vouchers any more, and I am on a fixed income. How do I get a bed or even a good clean air bed?

Best Answer

You do not say if you have a way to pick up a bed/mattress so that may be your biggest problem as many "give-a-ways" do not provide delivery so be sure that you ask about this when you call or visit any of these suggested sites.
Craigslist and Freecycle all have free ads where people can post things they wish to give away and also where you can post what you need.
Other places:
1) Hotels and Apartment Complexes often have mattresses left in storage when they purchase new ones.
2) Furniture Stores often take "trade-ins" (or have to pick up old mattresses when delivering a new one) and wind up dumping them.

3) Thrift Shops (church, hospice, private, Goodwill) often have items they cannot put in their shops or might even know someone who has an "extra".
Just remember - most likely you will have to arrange your own pick up/delivery.

It is moving season here in the big city-look on craigslist and you will find lots of free mattresses. Transpo is another story...

I am a back patient myself-waiting for a call from the hospital social worker. If you have one or a surgeon call them because they are making money off of you and might have resources to help quicker then charity.

Check your local Craigslist or Pennysaver. Go to the "free stuff" sections. Good luck!

Freecycle or Craigslist. If you live near a college you can get a lot of stuff when the students move out of the dorms.

Apartment complexes are also a good source if you visit at the end of the month, when people move out.

Anonymous

You can try Craigslist or look for a decent one to purchase.

Better Living Charity AdviceApril 12, 2017
🎃