Browsing: Starting a Compost Pile

Compost Jump Start

During the winter I set a large trash can outside my kitchen door. I place my food scraps (compostable ones) in this during the winter. There is no smell as it rarely gets above freezing in Vermont during the winter. I also pile up dead branches and holiday trimmings (trees, boughs, and corn stalks) from fall clean up. Adding in the branches and such from spring clean up. I borrow a wood chipper in the spring and chip all the wood then mix it with the now full trash can of scraps and I have a huge headstart on my compost pile.

Kathy from Northfield, VT

Compost Pile
Starting a Compost Pile
Home and Garden Gardening CompostingApril 8, 2001
Using Compost In The Garden
Using Compost In The Garden
Making a Compost Bin
Making a Compost Bin
Compost bin full of vegetable waste from a kitchen.
Removing Odors From a Compost Bin
Compost Bucket Ideas
Compost Bucket Ideas
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 20, 2016 at 4:35:18 PM on 10.0.0.171 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.