Traveling Tips

I have two preschool daughters. When we travel, I pack outfits in gallon sized Ziploc bags. I include top, shorts, underwear and socks. That way, they can take a pack and dress themselves and I don't have to sort through all of the clothes each day. This really helps since they wear similar sizes and it's hard to keep them separated.

By Ann

~ ~ ~
This inspired a brainstorm of travel tips. Do you have any travel tips to share? The tips can be for planes, trains or automobiles and about preparation and traveling itself.

When my kids were small, (before handiwipes) I always packed some wet, and some slightly soapy wash clothes in plastic bags. It was easy to clean up in the car, or on the bus. As the kids got older they were the lucky ones who got to clean up before the long bus trip home after a class trip. It turned out that when handiwipes came out the kids liked the homemade version better. So, now I always carry wet, and soapy washcloths in zippered bags whenever I travel. On a hot trip, throw them in the cooler. On a winter trip, store them by the heat vent in the car. When they are soiled, just zip them back up in their bags. You can reuse the bags too, since they won't be holding food items. Just rinse, and dry.

I also save coffee cans for camping trips. Food that doesn't travel well, or gets stale, like cereal, or bread holds up well when sealed in a can. The cans come in handy on the camp out too. They provide temporary homes for wildlife specimens, hold shell collections, dry socks, bait, and we've even used the 3 pounders as sit-up-ons for little bottoms. They are great for cooking in on an open fire. You won't have to buy camp cookware, and you won't destroy your kitchenware. They also make an acceptable emergency potty. - Catchdmc

If you have frequent flyer miles but not enough for a trip, use them for an upgrade to first class. These days the seats are very small in coach but the first class seats are nice and roomy for those of us who are a bit larger than normal. - Becca

Baby Powder and Sand: Carry baby powder with you to the sandbox or beach. After the children get of the of sand, sprinkle them with the baby powder. It dries up the sand and causes it to fall right off! No more tracking sand in the house or car! - Amy, Garland, TX

Vacation tip: Be sure to turn your main water connection "off" in the house. I had a toilet tank crack once while I was at home and the water continued to run trying to fill up the tank. Imagine what would have happened if I was away? - Syd Barr

Wet Swimsuit Tip: When you travel throw in a few extra zip-lock bags They are great for wet swimsuits, a half-full bottle of shampoo, some animal crackers for the car, or even to fill with ice at the motel to use in the cooler while you drive. - Kate - Waxhaw, NC

TURN OFF ELECTRIC WATER HEATER

I use my car's cassette player to "read" directions for me...I make the tape ahead of time, and start and stop it as needed along the way. This is especially good if someone has given you directions to their home, etc. - Pat

I usually pack some extra ziploc bags for trips....both car trips and plane trips. I also keep a clean empty milkjug that I cut a hole in & stuffed with plastic grocery bags. You'd be amazed at all the uses for them. One thing I might add is to pack extra shoes in a plastic bag of some kind so your clothing does not get soiled from dirty shoes. We have a mini van and I always put a plastic grocery bag over one of the armrests to collect trash in and not have a mess all over the van.

I never throw loose ice cubes in a cooler but rather put some in a ziploc bag. Then everything in the cooler stays cold w/o getting all wet plus often times the ice in the bag hasn't melted and I just put in a freezer once we get where we're going and have the same bag to put back in the cooler for the way back!

Baby powder also repels ants. Great when child is playing in the sand. Make a circle around the area the child will be in with a layer of baby powder. The ants will not cross

Make more room when packing your clothing. Lay your clothes out on the bed, fold over then roll. You will find very few wrinkles and a lot more room. This also works great for home.

A man and a woman enjoying being tourists.
Travel Tips and Tricks
Travel and Recreation TravelJune 22, 2001
Family eating food while on vacation.
Saving Money on Food When Traveling
Mother Getting on Plane with Young Children
Traveling with an Infant
Manchester Cathedral in England
England Frugal Travel Guide
Woman With Allergies
Traveling with Allergies
🎉
🎄