Back to School Lunches

My kids are always complaining that they are sick and tired of the same peanut butter and jelly in their lunchboxes everyday. I can't afford to get them hot lunch or the Lunchables. Any ideas on how to make lunch more exciting?

By Hannah from USA

I used to make my own lunchables. I would slice or cube up ham and cheese, and add some crackers.

Do they have access to a microwave? I also sent my kids tv dinners (banquet) that when on sale I could get for 50 cents each after using a coupon.

Another favorite was tacos. I would send the ingredients in several separate contains (bought as a set from the $1 store), and a couple soft shells. They would make their own tacos at lunch and be the envy of the lunch room. Have a small thermos? If so, send soup or chili.

I also used to make my own lunchables. Pepperoni & crackers was always my son's favorite. Hot water in a thermos and put 2 hot dogs in. The hot dogs will be warm & bun ready at lunch time.

Chicken salad - freeze a water bottle & put in their lunchbag to keep cold.

Leftover cold pizza - oldest son always like this

Wrap - use ham or turkey, lettuce & some cheese. Mustard or mayo if your kids like it.

Some days I would sneak a note in to say hope your having a good day or encouragement for a test. The best was a note to say I would be picking them up after school, a big surprise since I work full time outside the home. A note to say we would be going for ice cream when I picked them up. Good luck

Hannah,

My kids loved the following in their lunches. I large red delicious apple, leave peel on, but core apple.

Mix 2 tbsp peanut butter, and one tbsp each raisins and honey. Blend well.

Fill the apple core with this mixture. Wrap apple in tin foil and place in refrigerator overnight. Place in child's lunch box and give milk money.

Cold Potato Soup - In warmer months, this was one of my kids favorites. I put in thermos and sent along some crackers and cheese. Nancy

Scrambled egg sandwich was also one of their favs. Just scramble egg, place on sandwich bread with a little mayo and wrap a dill pickle in tinfoil to go with. Add some lettuce in a little bag if desired.

I was going to say we make our own lunchables sometimes, but I see mom-from-missouri beat me to it. :) We use small cookie cutters to cut fun shapes in the meat, but the cheese we just cut in squares. The kids then just add fun stuff that they want for the rest.

Cut up some apple, orange and get some grapes. Slice up a few different cheeses ( you can buy the blocks on sale cheap.) Then add some crackers and they have a great fruit and cheese plate. Use different fruit like kiwi or strawberries, melon, whatever is on sale that week. You can put in a thing of yogurt or jello. Some days add deli meat sliced to fit the cracker (like Lunchables). You can add a little ziploc of nuts. Try to copy the lunchables if they like them so much. And have fun with it! A miniature candy bar is always a nice surprise too! :)

Thanks so much for the ideas. Rose

bento lunches

some are leftovers from the night before and some are just creations from that morning

some bento lunches get more creative with pictures and shapes

but bento is suppose to be small portions of food in divided little dishes that please you when you eat

this site gives me lots of ideas: http://community.livejournal.com/bentolunch

you can either buy the expensive boxes or use some of your own tupperware with muffin cups/silicone cups

i just bought my own knock off bento box from a sorta Japanese store that saved me lots of money instead of buying it over the internet.

When you make meatloaf for dinner, save some for their sandwiches the next day. Add some pickles or whatever seasonings they like. Also send some carrot or celery sticks. You can do the same with leftover chicken or whatever leftover meat you have on hand.

A girl eating packed lunch at school.
School Lunch Ideas
Parenting School LunchesFebruary 1, 2010
Middle School Survival Kit
Making a Middle School Survival Kit
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School
Girl Getting on the Bus to go Back to School
Preparing Kids for Going Back to School
🎄