First Job

Hello, I am a 15 year old girl looking for a job. I have not had a real job yet but I have babysat six cousins. My brother and I have experience working in an office and behind the counter of a shoe store where my mom used to work. I am also typing, not many words but O.K. I really need a job so I can learn to be independent.

By Misha

Does your school have student helpers in the school office or school library? That is a good place to start. You won't get paid for it, but it looks nice on your resume. Make a resume, and have it proof read by one of your English teachers. Hand it out when you turn in your applications. At your age, employers are not looking for a lengthly job history but for signs that you are responsible and a people person. So, on it, list clubs, offices and activities that you are involved in.

I'm a

Teacher. Go to your guidance counselor. S/he will be happy to help. They can also advise you on courses the school offers to improve job skills.