Finding a First Job

Category Finding a Job
Finding a job when you have never worked before can be daunting. You will need to know where to look, how to apply and how to present yourself. This is a guide about finding a first job.

Our 16 year old daughter recently needed to get a REAL job when her babysitting position for the summer fell through at the last minute. Here are some tips to make it easier on both the parents, the teen worker and the employer!

Once the child has secured a position:

Source: My own experiences as a manager and a mom

By Diana from Prospect, KY

I'm 14 going on 15 (birthday is July 25) and I really wanted to get a job over the summer at my local Jo Ann Fabrics, but a lady said I have to be 18. Would it help them reconsider if I brought teacher recommendations and parent approval or something? I really want to work there, it seems like a pretty basic job and Jo Ann Fabrics is 1 minute away from my house (walking).

By Annie

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

There are county, state and federal child labor laws and, of course, store policy too. My question is, "Was the lady who told you that you have to be 18 the manager of the store?" If not, it would be best to speak with the manager. You never know, he/she might just become an advocate for you if he/she likes you, sees how serious you are about wanting to work there and is allowed to by the company.

Go to this link and read it and print it out and give him/her a copy of it. Definitely have the letter from your parents and teacher to hand to them at the same time. Some people, even managers, might not know that there are indeed sometimes exceptions to the rule.

http://www.dol.  rmitsagecert.htm

If in the end the answer is a definite no then ask if you can volunteer a few hours a week just to be able to learn. You might not be able to cut fabric, etc but you can help stock and organize shelves and help customers find things or give them answers of things you know about.

Good luck to you and pretty please leave a comment here to let us know how things worked out for you, okay?

Getting a job can be a great learning experience for a child. It's important to find the right job. Do you have any job ideas for kids that are safe and will teach them responsibility? Post your ideas below.

Answers

Hello! I wanted to mention one idea for a young person to make money. The floral shops need people to fill the water tubes--hundreds of them! Especially here just before Easter, Father's Day, graduations and weddings coming up. Try going to the shops and asking if you can help fill the tubes and other chores there. My son did this for awhile, and we would have buckets of water and tubes, filling them as fast as possible! You might also try at printing shops and small companies that you wouldn't have to be 16 to work at. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Wanda in Memphis

Just a note to young men and women posting on this thread. Be very careful posting your email or phone number in a public forum. Even one as trusted as this one. The first place you should look for babysitting jobs is in your area, advertise your services to family members and trusted family friends that are approved by your parents. Let people in your family know you are available to work. They may have babysitting jobs, they may need some yard work done.

Hi Robin,
This is really the wrong place for a young person to look for a job. Ask around the neighborhood if anyone needs a babysitter or talk to someone at church. There may be people that need someone to take care of their kids after school.
Best Wishes,
Susan from ThriftyFun

Try beauty shops, shampooing hair, or sweeping the floor. Maybe you could try housework, yardwork, any kind of cleaning work, including washing cars or ironing. Even at business where you are too young to work, they may let you sweep floors. Other options include: dog walking, bathing dogs, helping people set up their yard sales, helping someone with organizing their garage, helping to serve & cleanup at weddings & large parties, and cleaning pools. Elderly people need all kinds of help. Then there is: delivering newspapers, helping someone sort their personal papers, dusting, picking up fallen limbs after a storm, helping to move furniture, cutting the grass, or raking. Learn to give really good haircuts. Cook for the elderly. Make throw pillows, totebags, and pretty aprons & sell them. Bake cakes, cookies, or casseroles & sell them. Open a lemonade & sandwich stand. Sing or play an instrument for special occasions.
You have to learn, there are "no" fast, easy ways to make big money, not even for adults. You have to be willing to make small money and learn to live off small money.
Look around, ask around! Opportunities are all around you, just open your eyes & look at the world from a different perspective. Start small, but be persistent. Keep on working when you'd rather play.
Don't be 'too good" or in too big a hurry to make money to think you shouldn't do volunteer work (without pay), that is the best possible way to open the right kind of doors to the best paying jobs.
Don't be worried about your parents being sick & being dependent on you for money, that is their worry, not yours. Stop wasting money spending it on "stupid" stuff, every dollar saved no matter how small, moves you closer to your goals. Save your $ and the universe will reward you in due time, when you are lest expecting it. Always earn your money honestly, in a clean way so you won't have any shame to be burdened with. So your money will really be your money to do with as you intelligently see fit to.
You must be very careful, not too trusting. There are many evil people out there just waiting for the opportunity to hurt you. Making money is important, but your safety is much, much more important! More important than anything! Good Luck!

Hello, I am a 15 year old girl looking for a job. I have not had a real job yet but I have babysat six cousins. My brother and I have experience working in an office and behind the counter of a shoe store where my mom used to work. I am also typing, not many words but O.K. I really need a job so I can learn to be independent.

By Misha

Answers

Does your school have student helpers in the school office or school library? That is a good place to start. You won't get paid for it, but it looks nice on your resume. Make a resume, and have it proof read by one of your English teachers. Hand it out when you turn in your applications. At your age, employers are not looking for a lengthly job history but for signs that you are responsible and a people person. So, on it, list clubs, offices and activities that you are involved in.

I'm a
Teacher. Go to your guidance counselor. S/he will be happy to help. They can also advise you on courses the school offers to improve job skills.

- Misha

Answers:

First Job

I am so glad to see a 15 yr old motivated to get a job. I know that some Seniors have a hard time cleaning. You might want to think about helping out the elderly for a few hours a week. Maybe shoveling snow, cutting grass or cleaning house. Also some of them can't drive so maybe just running to the corner store is appreciated. Good luck to you... (03/22/2002)

By Grammijoan

First Job

House sitting is one of my favorite jobs. You can just come and go or stay at their place. People will actually pay you to stay at their place, feed and play with their pets, use their pool, watch TV, surf the web, bring in their newspapers and make their home look lived in while they're out of town. An added bonus is being able to do your homework while you're "working". If some of these people own their own businesses, you can also help them with their office work and make extra cash. You can also offer housekeeping services for even more money. (03/28/2002)

By kimdedo

By nicholas786

First Job

Chickfila, a fast food place, hires at 14. They only work 14 and 15 year olds from 4-7pm on week days and sometimes during the day on Saturdays, leaving plenty of time for homework. (01/08/2005)

By Allison

First Job

I was fortunate to have the Job Training Partnership Act when I was 14. Check with your guidance counselor about summer jobs/camps that pay and train. I also helped my home economics teacher filing, grading papers, and setting up class activities my senior year, for one-two study periods a day. I did babysitting, but mostly helped my mom around the house with house work and taking care of my little sister.

Bottom line is anything you do can be put as job skills. Do you take a lot of messages and follow through? Job skill. Computer experience, making flyers and web research? Job skill. Even cleaning, taking care of pets, tutoring in subjects you excel in....Job Skills. I wish I used more to make money, but I was "too nice." Check your local job center for resume classes and job postings, they usually have resources for 18 and under. (03/10/2006)

By camo_angels

First Job

All of you, please remember that school is your first job, and the best way to get the training and discipline to hold a job. And look at what you need vs. want. That helps to control the spending. (03/17/2006)

By camo_angels

By Heidi

First Job

The age for getting a job may be different state by state. In Michigan
I think it's 14. When my son was 14 he worked at a local restaurant
doing dishes then he was promoted to re stocking the salad bar. It doesn't hurt to call and ask local restaurants. Also call catering
companies. you would be surprised to find out there are many departments in catering companies depending on their size. They
range from unloading to loading trucks to deliver tables etc to doing dishes to clean up.. maybe they would hire a young person for this.
Good luck. (02/23/2007)

By Ariela

Restaurant

My name is Quentin and my first job was working in a restaurant with my aunt and the reason I want to work somewhere else is so that I can be independent and work around other people besides my family, and they can judge me by how I work not by who I am.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Working for your family is good experience and can help you to get a job elsewhere. (07/16/2007)

By Quentin

First Job

I'm 14 and I baby-sit my, nephew, that is 4, and my, niece, that is 2, and they are 2 handfuls! I have been babysitting them off and on, because my brother (their father), has to work all week and my sister in law (their mother), works at night during the week also! recently I began babysitting for 1 month, but before that I babysat for about 3! and I can also cook a little and I am good at cleaning up around the house and washing dishes and such! The reason I want a job is because, my mom won't put me in a sports so I might as well get a job! There is a lot of trouble around where I live and I just want to get out of it! (03/07/2008)

By Jennifer A.

First Job

My name is Tyler. I'm fourteen and I'm having trouble finding a summer job. So far I have worked at Akin, Gump, Strauss, and Haurer. It's a law firm, and Georgetown university at the school of foreign service. (04/21/2008)

By Tyler.