Teen Seeking Job?

0
Share
6
Save
Follow
Print

I'm 14 going on 15 (birthday is July 25) and I really wanted to get a job over the summer at my local Jo Ann Fabrics, but a lady said I have to be 18. Would it help them reconsider if I brought teacher recommendations and parent approval or something? I really want to work there, it seems like a pretty basic job and Jo Ann Fabrics is 1 minute away from my house (walking).

By Annie

Best Answer

There are county, state and federal child labor laws and, of course, store policy too. My question is, "Was the lady who told you that you have to be 18 the manager of the store?" If not, it would be best to speak with the manager. You never know, he/she might just become an advocate for you if he/she likes you, sees how serious you are about wanting to work there and is allowed to by the company.

Go to this link and read it and print it out and give him/her a copy of it. Definitely have the letter from your parents and teacher to hand to them at the same time. Some people, even managers, might not know that there are indeed sometimes exceptions to the rule.

www.dol.gov/.../workpermitsagecert.htm

If in the end the answer is a definite no then ask if you can volunteer a few hours a week just to be able to learn. You might not be able to cut fabric, etc but you can help stock and organize shelves and help customers find things or give them answers of things you know about.

Good luck to you and pretty please leave a comment here to let us know how things worked out for you, okay?

I think it's illegal to hire someone until the age of 16 but you can confirm that.

I agree with TXBetty, I am quite sure that it has to do with child labor laws. You might be able to mow lawns or babysit around your neighborhood though. Perhaps even a job helping clean houses.

Good for you to want to work over summer break, and to want to work at such a great store where you can learn more about home sewing and crafting-excellent skills that will be a great help to you through the years!

Unfortunately, though, most of the chain fabric stores have hiring policies against hiring people under 18. Because the job would mean handling potentially dangerous equipment (cutting fabric and demonstrating complex sewing machines) their insurance rates would sky-rocket if they were to hire younger workers.

It seems a shame, especially since your teacher would be willing to give you a recommendation. You must be a very responsible person with some talent in the crafting field. Have you thought about posting an advert offering to teach younger people how to sew-you would then be able to share your skills, earn some money, make your own hours, and learn about running a small business at the same time.

Ask your teacher and parents what they think, you have time to develop your plan before summer, and could probably find enough students to make it fun and worth your while.

There is a lot to consider, including insurance concerns should one of the students stab him/herself with a hand or sewing needle, but it would be a lot of fun for you and be a summer job too.

Good luck, I hope you'll update this thread no matter what you do this summer!

Unfortunately, there are many rules and regulations when one hires minors, including the number of hours they can work per week and the times they can work, etc. The store needs someone who is able to work specific hours with no restrictions. They must hire employees under the law, no matter what kind of employee you'd make.

First, you need to see what the laws are in your state about working age, each state is different. Just google "legal working age ___(fill in your state)" for example, in the state of Oklahoma, you can start working at age 14, but you have to get a "work permit" from your school to be able to get a job & jobs for 14 year olds are really limited as to what you can do, how many hours & what times you can work, what you are allowed to use & operate (such as knives & slicers) etc. Also, there are very few places that will hire at this age. I know Reasor's grocery store is one of the only places that will hire a 14 year old in Tulsa.

If your state doesn't allow you to work at your age, my advice would be to find some other jobs you can do for people like others suggested, like babysitting, yard work, house cleaning(only for people you know), etc. Find people you can do these jobs for on a regular basis & do a good job. Be sure to save their name, address & phone number somewhere, along with the dates you worked. This will help you with a resume & references when you are old enough for a 'real' job.

When you are old enough & start filling out applications for a job (such as the fabric store), there will be a place to list your past jobs. You can put these people that you worked for, along with your contact information & the place you are applying to can call them to see what kind of worker you are & this will help you get a job if they know you are dependable & a hard worker.

Here's a website I save for my 13 year old son who's itching to start working too, it might give you some ideas:
www.millionaire-kids.com/index.html

Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobJanuary 9, 2012
👔
😎
🌻
🎆
🐛
Generated 2021-05-22 03:52:06 in 707 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf51272454.tip.html