Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Weed Killer Recipes

3 0EmailFollow
Homemade Weed Killer Recipes

Having weeds in your garden and lawn really detracts from the look of your yard. Avoid using harmful chemicals by making you own weed killer. This is a guide about homemade weed killer recipes.

Solutions: Homemade Weed Killer Recipes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Hot and Spicy Weed Killer

I have used the same method for many years now. Who would know that a huge mistake could turn out to be something useful years later? Maybe many ideas come to use that way, this one for sure did.

We were boiling shrimp with some friends when I lived in Louisiana. Being young and trying not to show it, actually taught me two things in the same weekend. One: do not put shrimp down the garbage disposal. Two: the hot mixture of spices kills your grass almost instantly! I do pretty much everything I can organically. If I still lived in the South where you boil shrimp or crawfish often, I would just use the left over water to pour on all my weeds. Since I have moved from there, now I make a special "brew" to kill all of those weeds, without hurting the environment. The ones that come up through cracks in driveway or close to the steps can't hide from this hot and spicy weed killer.

You take Cajun pepper (red pepper will do) and hot sauce, vinegar can also be added if you have extra. Bring it to a boil and pour directly on any area where you want everything to die. Be very careful not to get it on grass you want to stay alive. Anything this hot mixture is put on will die (ants don't like it either). If you make more then you use at any given time, put in bottle for next time. This works cool, but I have found it works faster when boiled, steaming hot. If you aren't wanting to see results immediately, know it works after mixture has cooled off.

I add a half jar of Cajun or red pepper and half a bottle of hot sauce to a large pot of water. You just know it is ready when your eyes are watering and the room fills with the smell of the mixture. I have added left over pickle juice, vinegar, even jalapeno juice to this, depending what is left over in my fridge or cabinets. This works and works well without hurting anything in the air; animals tend not to eat in that area but it doesn't hurt them.

If you do boil shrimp, crab or crawfish, please drain the water where any unwanted weeds are so you get double use out of something you would just throw away. At most markets that sell seafood, they have bags with seasoning already in it. I always ask this time of the year to let me know if any are past the selling date. A couple of times I got lucky and was able to get the boil in bag seasoning for a dollar. Any of these ingredients can be found at the Dollar Store. With no more worries about pulling weeds, maybe you will have more time to enjoy this beautiful time of the year.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

Tip: All Natural Weed Killer

Here is an easy all natural weed and grass killer that works fast, doesn't harm the environment and is a lot cheaper than the toxic weed killers available at the home improvement store.

I was tired of using harmful chemicals to keep weeds and grass under control in my yard. So I decided to try something new. I know that salt will kill off just about any vegetation in large quantities, so I figured it would be good for killing weeds and grasses in smaller amounts. Vinegar affects the PH of the soil also and makes it difficult for plants to grow.

Salt and Vinegar Weed Killer

So I mixed the 2 together and put them in my trusty weed sprayer to see what happened. I used a whole gallon of white vinegar and about a half cup of salt, here are the results.

Before All Natural Weed Killer

I chose a test area that had some grass growing up in seams of the driveway. Here you can see the test area I used to apply the mixture.

Applying All Natural Weed Killer

This is what it looked like after 24 hours.

All Natural Weed Killer at 24 Hours

This is what it looked like after 48 hours.

All Natural Weed Killer at 48 Hours

As you can see it is a very effective weed and grass killer. I also tried it on dandelions and some other weeds around the yard. It worked equally well with them, but it will also kill the grass surrounding the weed if you are not very careful with the application. This year, I am going to give my kids little paint brushes with cups of vinegar and salt and let them apply the mixture to the dandelions in the grass. I think this will be an effective method of applying the weed killer without killing the surrounding vegetation. Plus, it will be kind of fun for them.

It rained the next day and I thought the grass might perk up, but the weeds and grass continued to die off. It was very effective on the broad leaf weeds. Some of the grass in the driveway and sidewalk needed a second dose after about a week, but the areas I doused really well the first time died off completely. I believe the reason for needing to reapply was because I did not put enough on those areas the first time around.

Happy gardening!

By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

Tip: Natural Weed Killer

To get rid of dandelions, spray straight vinegar into the center of each plant and in about two weeks they will all be dead and gone. Any that haven't disappeared will be dead and can be dug/pulled out. (There shouldn't be any). This really worked for me and they have never grown back in the area I treated. ONLY in the center of the plant, not on the grass.

Source: The Vinegar Book

By katesnanna from Brisbane, Australia

Tip: Hot Water Weed Treatment

One can just pour hot water on plants to get rid of weeds. But, I wish people would really look at all the plants growing in their yards and ask why.

Plants like dandelions have deep tap roots. They break up the soil and bring minerals up to the top soil. Why not just mow them down after they've bloomed. They are pretty. Plants tell you a lot about the condition of your land.

We've been taught to prefer manicured, scrubbed yards. There are no fruit trees anymore which could have something to do with the bee problem. No berry bushes, and a few set apart plants. Why not go crazy and go for lush? Weeds would get crowded out.

Tip: Weed Killer Recipe

• Vinegar
  • Liquid Soap
  • Orange Oil

Directions:

Use 10% vinegar per gallon of water. Add 2-4 oz orange oil (citrus Orange oil) and 1 Tablespoon liquid soap (not germacide type but real soap).

and if you have a really bad weed problem:

Use 2 cups dried molasses, 2 cups sugar with 1 Tbsp chili pepper and 2 Tbsp garlic powder - mix it and lay around base of weeds.

You can mix the dried mix with orange oil and 1 cup vinegar but be sure you are outside as it is bad to breathe. Be sure not to get it on you when spraying and not in your eyes at all.

Tip: Homemade Weed Killer

To kill dandelions, pour vodka into spray bottle and spray on dandelions on a sunny day. Add a little dish liquid for more stubborn weeds.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Tip: Homemade Weed Killer Recipe

Vinegar:

Put straight vinegar into a cheap garden sprayer ($12) and spray this onto your weeds. You can also pour the vinegar right on to the soil to kill the roots and stop everything from growing there in the future. If you heat Vinegar up, it works even better. You can also buy a special vinegar with a stronger acid content at most plant nurseries that works even better!

Boiling Water:

If you want a temporary week killer and don't want to stop everything from growing, just pour boiling water on to the area. It's easiest to use a propane camping stove and boil your water outside. Use a camping coffee pot with a handle and a pouring-spout if you have one. Be careful that the steam doesn't splash back and scald you!

Tip: Pickling Vinegar For Weeds

Use pickling vinegar instead of regular white or malt vinegar since it contains 7% acetic acid and not the usual 5%. The ratio of 1 teaspoon (5 millilitres) of liquid washing soap to 1 gallon (4 Litres) pickling vinegar is fine.

Tip: Use Vinegar to Kill Weeds

We've used vinegar for killing weeds around the garden, for several years now. It's a great way to get rid of weeds in cracks in cement or in a paved driveway. You can pour it on directly from the jug or put it in a spray bottle (use full strength). Just a word of warning, if you don't want it to die, then don't go near it with the vinegar. If using in a flower garden, be careful around the plants you want to keep. The vinegar will leach to the other plants through the roots and kill them, so it may be better to pull these by hand.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Tip: Peanut Shells for Weed Control

I feed all of our wildlife here in the yard. I have a feeder for peanuts for the squirrels, they make a mess with the peanut shells, so I got the bright idea of using them for weed control. I put them around the flowers, and have started using them around my vegetable plants. No more weeds, and helps keep soil warm, and takes less watering as they keep the soil from drying out!

By Rosa

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Homemade Weed Killer Recipes.

Question: Using Vinegar, Salt, and Soap for Weeds

We would like to try the solution of vinegar, Epsom salt, and dish soap, but are concerned if it will kill everything. We do not want "volunteers" oaks, coffeeberry, etc. to be killed. Thanks!

By Maria R.

Best Answer

By susan [5]03/25/2014

First of all, you'd use regular salt; epsom salt is actually a plant food. Vinegar will render the soil sterile, meaning that nothing at all will grow there, maybe for decades (it stays in the soil). It will also render the soil sterile if a rain washes it to another place. It is best NOT to use it if you ever want anything to grow, ever. And yes, it will kill "volunteers." Just lightly spray the leaves with soapy (blue dawn dishwash soap) water on a really sunny day or use boiling water.

Question: Salt and Vinegar for Weeds

I am considering making a weed killer using vinegar and salt. What are the benefits and the amounts used?

By Donb

Most Recent Answer

By Ilene Waters V.08/31/2013

Is this safe to use on weeds around the base of a tree? Or will it harm the tree?

Question: Homemade Weed Killer With Pine Sol

I've misplaced a very effective recipe for an natural weed killer. It used Pine Sol as one of the ingredients. Would greatly appreciate if anyone is familiar with this recipe.

Most Recent Answer

By Tina H.06/19/2013

I use white vinegar, the cheaper the brand the better. Save the pinesol mixes to spray your trash cans, theones you put out for pick up. The pine sol smell makes the trash less nasty to your nose and totally nasty to the critters like racoons and skunks who may be in search of a free meal.

Be Careful with the vinegar. Don't get it on any plants you want to keep. Otherwise it's totally safe for you, your pets, and the environment.

Question: Organic Weed and Grass Killer

I am looking for a recipe for organic weed and grass killer.

By Cynthia from TX

Most Recent Answer

By PENNY K [15]04/02/2010

I believe corn bran is now used to kill weeds, used like mulch. Covering grass with a mat, boards, or black plastic will kill it. How much grass influences the choice.

Question: Use Vinegar as a Weed Killer

How do I make and use vinegar weed killer?

By Glenda from Winfield, MO

M