Homemade Weed Killer Recipes

Category Weeds
Having weeds in your garden and lawn really detracts from the look of your yard. Avoid using harmful chemicals by making you own weed killer. This is a guide about homemade weed killer recipes.

I have used the same method for many years now. Who would know that a huge mistake could turn out to be something useful years later? Maybe many ideas come to use that way, this one for sure did.

We were boiling shrimp with some friends when I lived in Louisiana. Being young and trying not to show it, actually taught me two things in the same weekend. One: do not put shrimp down the garbage disposal. Two: the hot mixture of spices kills your grass almost instantly! I do pretty much everything I can organically. If I still lived in the South where you boil shrimp or crawfish often, I would just use the left over water to pour on all my weeds. Since I have moved from there, now I make a special "brew" to kill all of those weeds, without hurting the environment. The ones that come up through cracks in driveway or close to the steps can't hide from this hot and spicy weed killer.

You take Cajun pepper (red pepper will do) and hot sauce, vinegar can also be added if you have extra. Bring it to a boil and pour directly on any area where you want everything to die. Be very careful not to get it on grass you want to stay alive. Anything this hot mixture is put on will die (ants don't like it either). If you make more then you use at any given time, put in bottle for next time. This works cool, but I have found it works faster when boiled, steaming hot. If you aren't wanting to see results immediately, know it works after mixture has cooled off.

I add a half jar of Cajun or red pepper and half a bottle of hot sauce to a large pot of water. You just know it is ready when your eyes are watering and the room fills with the smell of the mixture. I have added left over pickle juice, vinegar, even jalapeno juice to this, depending what is left over in my fridge or cabinets. This works and works well without hurting anything in the air; animals tend not to eat in that area but it doesn't hurt them.

If you do boil shrimp, crab or crawfish, please drain the water where any unwanted weeds are so you get double use out of something you would just throw away. At most markets that sell seafood, they have bags with seasoning already in it. I always ask this time of the year to let me know if any are past the selling date. A couple of times I got lucky and was able to get the boil in bag seasoning for a dollar. Any of these ingredients can be found at the Dollar Store. With no more worries about pulling weeds, maybe you will have more time to enjoy this beautiful time of the year.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

Better late then not..sorry didnt answer the question asked. Maybe boiling water would wilt the weed but not kill the roots of it. This is fool proof; works and most of all kills it at the root.

Of course Mother nature will return but that unwanted grass,weeds or over-growth will never return.

God bless and thanks for feedback!

Salt and Vinegar Weed Killer Recipe

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

You can mix up a homemade weed killer solution using salt and vinegar. This page contains a salt and vinegar weed killer recipe.

Instead of using harsh chemicals that can be lethal to children and animals and quite expensive, grab a nice big pot and fill it with water. Bring water to a rapid boil and pour on weeds. This literally fries the roots and the active growing weeds nearly instantly.

Anonymous

Boiling water works great. Just be careful

To kill dandelions, pour vodka into spray bottle and spray on dandelions on a sunny day. Add a little dish liquid for more stubborn weeds.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Anonymous

or just drink the vodka and enjoy the pretty yellow flowerweeds lol

One can just pour hot water on plants to get rid of weeds. But, I wish people would really look at all the plants growing in their yards and ask why.

Here is a natural weed killer recipe.

Vinegar

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

A common kitchen product that can be helpful to kill unwanted plants, but you need to be careful around plants you want to keep. This is a guide about killing weeds with vinegar.

I feed all of our wildlife here in the yard. I have a feeder for peanuts for the squirrels, they make a mess with the peanut shells, so I got the bright idea of using them for weed control. I put them around the flowers, and have started using them around my vegetable plants.

We would like to try the solution of vinegar, Epsom salt, and dish soap, but are concerned if it will kill everything. We do not want "volunteers" oaks, coffeeberry, etc. to be killed. Thanks!

By Maria R.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

First of all, you'd use regular salt; epsom salt is actually a plant food. Vinegar will render the soil sterile, meaning that nothing at all will grow there, maybe for decades (it stays in the soil). It will also render the soil sterile if a rain washes it to another place. It is best NOT to use it if you ever want anything to grow, ever. And yes, it will kill "volunteers." Just lightly spray the leaves with soapy (blue dawn dishwash soap) water on a really sunny day or use boiling water.

How do I kill a large patch of Agapanthus using only natural ingredients? I want to plant there afterwards as well. Any suggestions?

Is there a homemade recipe for killing weeds in the lawn without killing the grass?

I've misplaced a very effective recipe for an natural weed killer. It used Pine Sol as one of the ingredients. Would greatly appreciate if anyone is familiar with this recipe.

I love Pine Sol for everything. I make a house cleaner out of it in a spray bottle using 4 parts water to one part pine sol. I am now going to use the recipe above in the yard. Thanks! Robyn

Does anyone know where corn gluten can be purchased? I have been told it is used in Oklahoma, spread like grass seed. It apparently feeds the grass and kills the weeds.

By Jaci

You may want to read this and other articles before you spend time and money on corn gluten.

http://www.safe  ry-is-still-out/

I am looking for a recipe for organic weed and grass killer.

By Cynthia from TX

Vinegar:

Put it into a cheap $12 garden pump-sprayer & spray the area... Or you can pour it directly on to the ground. If your heat the vinegar up it works even better... The very best vinegar is a special stronger-acid type that's sold at plant nurseries, but any kind of vinegar will work.

Boiling Water:

If you may want to plant something there later on, you can simply use boiling water... It kills the grass & weeds, but won't keep the area from growing plants in the future. You can simply set up a propane camper stove outside & boil your water on it...

* Keep your animals inside while using the stove & watch out for your neighbors animals that may wander into your yard, you don't want them to be scalded!

I thought I saw a homemade recipe to kill vegetation and weeds using rubbing alcohol. Can you help me? Or is there any other recipe that would kill thistles, etc.?

By Norrene

Vinegar. I read something about vinegar with a mix of epsom salts. But now I can not re-find the link! Shucks. But try looking it up on gardening sites that have a dot.ORG ending. That may help. In the meantime I will look again.

Is there a formula for homemade weed killer?

By Pat H.

Vinegar works well as a weed killer. Put it in a spray bottle, turn the sprayer so it shoots out in a stream, and aim it at the bottom of the plant.

What is the best homemade weed killer?

By Diane from Center Point, IA

I've used bleach, but I don't like to because I doubt it's safe for the environment.

I have a lot of grass right up next to my house and azaleas not too far from the house. Will the homemade Roundup seep over into the azaleas? I have already killed some of the grass. So far, the azalea is still alive, but I was wondering if anyone knew about this because I have more grass to kill with several more plants.

By Sandy M. from Tyler, TX

How do I make my own weed killer?

By Bill from Ajax, Ontario

Will the recipe of 2 cups Epsom salt, 1 gallon white vinegar and 1/2 cup blue Dawn detergent kill my centipede grass or flowers?

By Jackie

What is the best homemade remedy to kill weeds permanently around the house.

By samsosa35

Answer Was this helpful? 1

This is a video showing how to make homemade RoundUp http://www.reci  data_player.html

I use vinegar, ammonium sulphate, salt, and liquid soap to kill my weeds. Is that better or not? What is the most highly effective homemade weed killer?

By Ansa from Nigeria

What is the best thing to use for Florida betany weed commonly known as rattlesnake weed grass? It is very invasive and spreads fast.

By Glenda

What is the weed killer recipe that includes gin?

By Barb Jean

I am looking for a cure to kill the bind weed around my farm. I haven't minded it too much except that it is moving into my flower beds and that is a no, no. I've tried digging it, but there is just too much of it.

Donna Marie

try using just staight vinegar.....I use it on my sidewalks on pickers and grass but try to get the root area and try not to get other plants as it may damage their roots also....kid and animal safe

For weed killer, mix 2 cups table salt with 1 gallon white vinegar (5% acidity) and 8 drops dish soap. Label and store. This will kill any and all vegetation. spraying this multiple times will sterilize the soil so nothing will grow there for a long time. Good for areas like sidewalks.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Answers:

Homemade weed killer

Here's something I've used: Combine one ounce gin, one ounce dish soap and one ounce vinegar. Put into a 32 oz. sprayer and fill with water. Spray just the weed. You can also put baking soda on just the weed. They turn black and shrivel up. To kill weeds in sidewalk cracks, pour boiling water on them. (04/20/2001)

Homemade weed killer

1 gallon white vinegar plus 1 pound of table salt (03/25/2004)

By noname

Homemade weed killer

Here's a great weed killer you can make yourself for about $2 a gallon: Dissolve 1 pound table salt in 1 gallon white vinegar (5% acidity is ideal) Add 8 drops of liquid dish washing detergent (helps plant material absorb the liquid) Label and keep out of reach of children. You can use this in an ordinary spray bottle. This non-toxic formula acts as a temporary soil sterilizer, so don't spray near roots of trees, shrubs, or plants you'd like to keep. This is especially effective on a gravel driveway. (03/25/2004)

By oops

Homemade weed killer

Get a gallon sprayer at a Home Improvement store. Mix equal parts of vinegar and lemon juice in the sprayer and spray directly on the weeds. It works best if the temp stays above 70 degrees at least for a couple of days. Watch the weeds turn brown and die in no time! Repeat as needed! (02/25/2005)

By Jason from Gilbert, AZ

How do I make weed killer?

By Charlie from Dayton, TN

Answers:

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

I have 2 very old remedies;

1) Use straight bleach.

2) Mix 1 part liquid dish soap, 2 parts vinegar, 2 parts water.
(07/13/2010)

By ang253

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

I'd think the bleach would stain or wash out the other grass around it. I've heard of the vinegar route, but haven't tried it. Worth a shot! (07/13/2010)

By Allison5

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

I tried this suggestion: mix 1 part liquid dish soap, 2 parts vinegar, 2 parts water.

A

fter a week, no dead weeds. Sprayed them again, nothing. Perhaps my using apple vinegar is the reason. I'll try it with a different kind of vinegar. By the way, one recipe similar to the one I mentioned, had you adding a tablespoon of gin to the mixture. What a waste of perfectly gin, and it did not help (grin). (07/13/2010)

By duanedv

I am looking for a homemade weed killer recipe.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Roberta

Answers:

Make Your Own Weed Killer Recipe

I killed my frogs, thousands of them. I used Roundup because I did not know. Agent Orange. Now it is cut, pull, and spray with vinegar if I have to. Because of having no frogs, my garden is loaded with bugs. (06/05/2010)

By muttmom

Make Your Own Weed Killer Recipe

Re: Vinegar for killing weeds.

We've used vinegar for killing weeds around the garden, for several years now. It's a great way to get rid of weeds in cracks in cement or in a paved driveway. You can pour it on directly from the jug or put it in a spray bottle (use full strength). Just a word of warning, if you don't want it to die, then don't go near it with the vinegar. If using in a flower garden, be careful around the plants you want to keep. The vinegar will leach to the other plants through the roots and kill them, so it may be better to pull these by hand.

Hope this helps. Good luck! (06/07/2010)

By Pam in Beeton

Make Your Own Weed Killer Recipe

Use pickling vinegar instead of regular white or malt vinegar since it contains 7% acetic acid and not the usual 5%.
The ratio of 1 teaspoon (5 millilitres) of liquid washing soap to 1 gallon (4 Litres) pickling vinegar is fine. (06/29/2010)

By sofblend

I'd like to use some kind of natural weed killer that I can make myself to use in and around my flower and vegetable garden without killing off my vegetables and flowers. What do you recommend?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Red from LaFayette, GA

Answers:

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

Your best bets are your hands and a hoe, followed by mulching. Most anything that will kill the weeds, will kill the garden plants. If the aisles are wide, you can use a tiller, or burn them off with a propane weed burner. Once I have the weeds in the aisles knocked down, I use grass clippings to keep them down (tilling them in at the end of the season). Once the rows are weeded, it only takes a few minutes a day to keep them that way. Unfortunately, when it comes to gardens, there are not a lot of SAFE chemical shortcuts. (06/08/2010)

By Jilson

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

Plain cheap white vinegar. (06/12/2010)

By muttmom

I need a homemade weedkiller that will get rid of burdock, stinging nettles and bull thistles. Our farm is getting overrun with this stuff and my back is aching from digging and pulling all spring!

Beverly from Barre, VT

Answers:

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

I found this recipe:

Mix 1 gallon white vinegar with 1# salt and a generous squirt of lemon dish detergent. Mix in a water can. Sprinkle on unwanted weeds.

I didn't mix the whole recipe, but I did mix a little and poured it on some dandelions and they died. I also tried to pour boiling water on some weeds, and it did not kill them. Just stunted them some. (06/05/2008)

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

There's a propane torch designed for torching the tops and stems of weeds. That might work, eventually, and it might save your back. Or, do you know someone with a goat that could be corralled on your land? (06/05/2008)

By Nance

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

Homemade Weed Killer:

4 litre jug of vinegar
1 cup of salt

Take a cup of vinegar out of the jug, pour in the salt, shake to dissolve the salt. Pour the cup of vinegar back in the jug. This will kill all weeds, so be careful not to put on anything you want to keep. (06/06/2008)

By PICO

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

Thank you for ideas. Thinking of getting some goats again but the way people drive I wouldn't dare put them near the edge of the road where a lot of the burdock are located. (06/06/2008)

By woodswytch

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

Sorry, my goats never would eat a single bite of nettles or stickery things, except for blackberries. I used to use a scythe, one of those tools that the Grim Reaper carries. Mowing before seed-fall helps. And I poured boiling water under the electric fence (turned off, duh). The more you treat the pasture grasses right, the more they predominate and the undesirable weeds get crowded out. (06/08/2008)

By kimhis

What is a good homemade natural weed killer?

I am looking for a cheap way to kill weeds.

I am looking for a homemade weedkiller that is safe to use in an area intended for planting flowers and vegetables.

Does anyone know how to make a natural vegetation killer?

Will the vinegar and dish soap work for not just surface weeds, but roots as well?

Are there any home recipes for weed and grass killer for vegetable gardens?

I am looking for a recipe for weed killer that is made with vinegar, Dawn dishwashing liquid and something else.

There are a number of recipes for homemade weed killers. All are variations of the following recipe...