Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Weed Killer Recipes

Having weeds in your garden and lawn really detracts from the look of your yard. Avoid using harmful chemicals by making you own weed killer. This is a guide about homemade weed killer recipes.

I have used the same method for many years now. Who would know that a huge mistake could turn out to be something useful years later? Maybe many ideas come to use that way, this one for sure did.

We were boiling shrimp with some friends when I lived in Louisiana. Being young and trying not to show it, actually taught me two things in the same weekend. One: do not put shrimp down the garbage disposal. Two: the hot mixture of spices kills your grass almost instantly! I do pretty much everything I can organically. If I still lived in the South where you boil shrimp or crawfish often, I would just use the left over water to pour on all my weeds. Since I have moved from there, now I make a special "brew" to kill all of those weeds, without hurting the environment. The ones that come up through cracks in driveway or close to the steps can't hide from this hot and spicy weed killer.

You take Cajun pepper (red pepper will do) and hot sauce, vinegar can also be added if you have extra. Bring it to a boil and pour directly on any area where you want everything to die. Be very careful not to get it on grass you want to stay alive. Anything this hot mixture is put on will die (ants don't like it either). If you make more then you use at any given time, put in bottle for next time. This works cool, but I have found it works faster when boiled, steaming hot. If you aren't wanting to see results immediately, know it works after mixture has cooled off.

I add a half jar of Cajun or red pepper and half a bottle of hot sauce to a large pot of water. You just know it is ready when your eyes are watering and the room fills with the smell of the mixture. I have added left over pickle juice, vinegar, even jalapeno juice to this, depending what is left over in my fridge or cabinets. This works and works well without hurting anything in the air; animals tend not to eat in that area but it doesn't hurt them.

If you do boil shrimp, crab or crawfish, please drain the water where any unwanted weeds are so you get double use out of something you would just throw away. At most markets that sell seafood, they have bags with seasoning already in it. I always ask this time of the year to let me know if any are past the selling date. A couple of times I got lucky and was able to get the boil in bag seasoning for a dollar. Any of these ingredients can be found at the Dollar Store. With no more worries about pulling weeds, maybe you will have more time to enjoy this beautiful time of the year.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

Better late then not..sorry didnt answer the question asked. Maybe boiling water would wilt the weed but not kill the roots of it. This is fool proof; works and most of all kills it at the root.

Of course Mother nature will return but that unwanted grass,weeds or over-growth will never return.

God bless and thanks for feedback!

Salt and Vinegar Weed Killer Recipe

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

You can mix up a homemade weed killer solution using salt and vinegar. This page contains a salt and vinegar weed killer recipe.

August 17, 2015 Flag

Instead of using harsh chemicals that can be lethal to children and animals and quite expensive, grab a nice big pot and fill it with water. Bring water to a rapid boil and pour on weeds. This literally fries the roots and the active growing weeds nearly instantly.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Boiling water works great. Just be careful

To kill dandelions, pour vodka into spray bottle and spray on dandelions on a sunny day. Add a little dish liquid for more stubborn weeds.

One can just pour hot water on plants to get rid of weeds. But, I wish people would really look at all the plants growing in their yards and ask why.

Here is a natural weed killer recipe.

Vinegar

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about killing weeds with vinegar. A common kitchen product that can be helpful to kill unwanted plants, but you need to be careful around plants you want to keep.

I feed all of our wildlife here in the yard. I have a feeder for peanuts for the squirrels, they make a mess with the peanut shells, so I got the bright idea of using them for weed control. I put them around the flowers, and have started using them around my vegetable plants.

We would like to try the solution of vinegar, Epsom salt, and dish soap, but are concerned if it will kill everything. We do not want "volunteers" oaks, coffeeberry, etc. to be killed. Thanks!

By Maria R.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

First of all, you'd use regular salt; epsom salt is actually a plant food. Vinegar will render the soil sterile, meaning that nothing at all will grow there, maybe for decades (it stays in the soil). It will also render the soil sterile if a rain washes it to another place. It is best NOT to use it if you ever want anything to grow, ever. And yes, it will kill "volunteers." Just lightly spray the leaves with soapy (blue dawn dishwash soap) water on a really sunny day or use boiling water.

March 25, 2016 Flag

How do I kill a large patch of Agapanthus using only natural ingredients? I want to plant there afterwards as well. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 9, 2016 Flag

Is there a homemade recipe for killing weeds in the lawn without killing the grass?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 20, 2008 Flag

I've misplaced a very effective recipe for an natural weed killer. It used Pine Sol as one of the ingredients. Would greatly appreciate if anyone is familiar with this recipe.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I love Pine Sol for everything. I make a house cleaner out of it in a spray bottle using 4 parts water to one part pine sol. I am now going to use the recipe above in the yard. Thanks! Robyn

August 8, 2014 Flag

Does anyone know where corn gluten can be purchased? I have been told it is used in Oklahoma, spread like grass seed. It apparently feeds the grass and kills the weeds.

By Jaci

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may want to read this and other articles before you spend time and money on corn gluten.

http://www.safe  ry-is-still-out/

April 1, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a recipe for organic weed and grass killer.

By Cynthia from TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vinegar:

Put it into a cheap $12 garden pump-sprayer & spray the area... Or you can pour it directly on to the ground. If your heat the vinegar up it works even better... The very best vinegar is a special stronger-acid type that's sold at plant nurseries, but any kind of vinegar will work.

Boiling Water:

If you may want to plant something there later on, you can simply use boiling water... It kills the grass & weeds, but won't keep the area from growing plants in the future. You can simply set up a propane camper stove outside & boil your water on it...

* Keep your animals inside while using the stove & watch out for your neighbors animals that may wander into your yard, you don't want them to be scalded!

I thought I saw a homemade recipe to kill vegetation and weeds using rubbing alcohol. Can you help me? Or is there any other recipe that would kill thistles, etc.?

By Norrene

Vinegar. I read something about vinegar with a mix of epsom salts. But now I can not re-find the link! Shucks. But try looking it up on gardening sites that have a dot.ORG ending. That may help. In the meantime I will look again.

March 31, 2012 Flag

Is there a formula for homemade weed killer?

By Pat H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vinegar works well as a weed killer. Put it in a spray bottle, turn the sprayer so it shoots out in a stream, and aim it at the bottom of the plant.

May 8, 2010 Flag

What is the best homemade weed killer?

By Diane from Center Point, IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've used bleach, but I don't like to because I doubt it's safe for the environment.

July 9, 2014 Flag

I have a lot of grass right up next to my house and azaleas not too far from the house. Will the homemade Roundup seep over into the azaleas? I have already killed some of the grass. So far, the azalea is still alive, but I was wondering if anyone knew about this because I have more grass to kill with several more plants.

By Sandy M. from Tyler, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 9, 2014 Flag

How do I make my own weed killer?

By Bill from Ajax, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 4, 2014 Flag

Will the recipe of 2 cups Epsom salt, 1 gallon white vinegar and 1/2 cup blue Dawn detergent kill my centipede grass or flowers?

By Jackie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 5, 2010 Flag

What is the best homemade remedy to kill weeds permanently around the house.

By samsosa35

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a video showing how to make homemade RoundUp http://www.reci  data_player.html

August 6, 2013 Flag

I use vinegar, ammonium sulphate, salt, and liquid soap to kill my weeds. Is that better or not? What is the most highly effective homemade weed killer?

By Ansa from Nigeria

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 29, 2012 Flag

What is the best thing to use for Florida betany weed commonly known as rattlesnake weed grass? It is very invasive and spreads fast.

By Glenda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 31, 2011 Flag

What is the weed killer recipe that includes gin?

By Barb Jean

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 1, 2005 Flag

I am looking for a cure to kill the bind weed around my farm. I haven't minded it too much except that it is moving into my flower beds and that is a no, no. I've tried digging it, but there is just too much of it.

Donna Marie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

try using just staight vinegar.....I use it on my sidewalks on pickers and grass but try to get the root area and try not to get other plants as it may damage their roots also....kid and animal safe

March 7, 2011 Flag

For weed killer, mix 2 cups table salt with 1 gallon white vinegar (5% acidity) and 8 drops dish soap. Label and store. This will kill any and all vegetation. spraying this multiple times will sterilize the soil so nothing will grow there for a long time. Good for areas like sidewalks.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Answers:

Homemade weed killer

Here's something I've used: Combine one ounce gin, one ounce dish soap and one ounce vinegar. Put into a 32 oz. sprayer and fill with water. Spray just the weed. You can also put baking soda on just the weed. They turn black and shrivel up. To kill weeds in sidewalk cracks, pour boiling water on them. (04/20/2001)

Homemade weed killer

1 gallon white vinegar plus 1 pound of table salt (03/25/2004)

By noname

Homemade weed killer

Here's a great weed killer you can make yourself for about $2 a gallon: Dissolve 1 pound table salt in 1 gallon white vinegar (5% acidity is ideal) Add 8 drops of liquid dish washing detergent (helps plant material absorb the liquid) Label and keep out of reach of children. You can use this in an ordinary spray bottle. This non-toxic formula acts as a temporary soil sterilizer, so don't spray near roots of trees, shrubs, or plants you'd like to keep. This is especially effective on a gravel driveway. (03/25/2004)

By oops

Homemade weed killer

Get a gallon sprayer at a Home Improvement store. Mix equal parts of vinegar and lemon juice in the sprayer and spray directly on the weeds. It works best if the temp stays above 70 degrees at least for a couple of days. Watch the weeds turn brown and die in no time! Repeat as needed! (02/25/2005)

By Jason from Gilbert, AZ

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 9, 2010 Flag

How do I make weed killer?

By Charlie from Dayton, TN

Answers:

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

I have 2 very old remedies;

1) Use straight bleach.

2) Mix 1 part liquid dish soap, 2 parts vinegar, 2 parts water.
(07/13/2010)

By ang253

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

I'd think the bleach would stain or wash out the other grass around it. I've heard of the vinegar route, but haven't tried it. Worth a shot! (07/13/2010)

By Allison5

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

I tried this suggestion: mix 1 part liquid dish soap, 2 parts vinegar, 2 parts water.

A

fter a week, no dead weeds. Sprayed them again, nothing. Perhaps my using apple vinegar is the reason. I'll try it with a different kind of vinegar. By the way, one recipe similar to the one I mentioned, had you adding a tablespoon of gin to the mixture. What a waste of perfectly gin, and it did not help (grin). (07/13/2010)

By duanedv

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Gardening WeedsNovember 25, 2011
Salt and Vinegar Weed Killer Recipe
Salt and Vinegar Weed Killer Recipe
Vinegar
Killing Weeds With Vinegar
Dollar Weed
Getting Rid of Dollar Weed
Ants on the wall of a house.
Homemade Ant Killer Recipes
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 3:28:39 PM on 10.0.1.182 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.