Homemade Weed Killer Recipes

Having weeds in your garden and lawn really detracts from the look of your yard. Avoid using harmful chemicals by making you own weed killer. This is a guide about homemade weed killer recipes.

Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Salt and Vinegar Weed KillerHere is an easy all natural weed and grass killer that works fast, doesn't harm the environment and is a lot cheaper than the toxic weed killers available at the home improvement store.

I was tired of using harmful chemicals to keep weeds and grass under control in my yard. So I decided to try something new. I know that salt will kill off just about any vegetation in large quantities, so I figured it would be good for killing weeds and grasses in smaller amounts. Vinegar affects the PH of the soil also and makes it difficult for plants to grow.

Salt and Vinegar Weed Killer

So I mixed the 2 together and put them in my trusty weed sprayer to see what happened. I used a whole gallon of white vinegar and about a half cup of salt, here are the results.

Before All Natural Weed Killer

I chose a test area that had some grass growing up in seams of the driveway. Here you can see the test area I used to apply the mixture.

Applying All Natural Weed Killer

This is what it looked like after 24 hours.

All Natural Weed Killer at 24 Hours

This is what it looked like after 48 hours.

All Natural Weed Killer at 48 Hours

As you can see it is a very effective weed and grass killer. I also tried it on dandelions and some other weeds around the yard. It worked equally well with them, but it will also kill the grass surrounding the weed if you are not very careful with the application. This year, I am going to give my kids little paint brushes with cups of vinegar and salt and let them apply the mixture to the dandelions in the grass. I think this will be an effective method of applying the weed killer without killing the surrounding vegetation. Plus, it will be kind of fun for them.

It rained the next day and I thought the grass might perk up, but the weeds and grass continued to die off. It was very effective on the broad leaf weeds. Some of the grass in the driveway and sidewalk needed a second dose after about a week, but the areas I doused really well the first time died off completely. I believe the reason for needing to reapply was because I did not put enough on those areas the first time around.

Happy gardening!

By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used the same method for many years now. Who would know that a huge mistake could turn out to be something useful years later? Maybe many ideas come to use that way, this one for sure did.

We were boiling shrimp with some friends when I lived in Louisiana. Being young and trying not to show it, actually taught me two things in the same weekend. One: do not put shrimp down the garbage disposal. Two: the hot mixture of spices kills your grass almost instantly! I do pretty much everything I can organically. If I still lived in the South where you boil shrimp or crawfish often, I would just use the left over water to pour on all my weeds. Since I have moved from there, now I make a special "brew" to kill all of those weeds, without hurting the environment. The ones that come up through cracks in driveway or close to the steps can't hide from this hot and spicy weed killer.

You take Cajun pepper (red pepper will do) and hot sauce, vinegar can also be added if you have extra. Bring it to a boil and pour directly on any area where you want everything to die. Be very careful not to get it on grass you want to stay alive. Anything this hot mixture is put on will die (ants don't like it either). If you make more then you use at any given time, put in bottle for next time. This works cool, but I have found it works faster when boiled, steaming hot. If you aren't wanting to see results immediately, know it works after mixture has cooled off.

I add a half jar of Cajun or red pepper and half a bottle of hot sauce to a large pot of water. You just know it is ready when your eyes are watering and the room fills with the smell of the mixture. I have added left over pickle juice, vinegar, even jalapeno juice to this, depending what is left over in my fridge or cabinets. This works and works well without hurting anything in the air; animals tend not to eat in that area but it doesn't hurt them.

If you do boil shrimp, crab or crawfish, please drain the water where any unwanted weeds are so you get double use out of something you would just throw away. At most markets that sell seafood, they have bags with seasoning already in it. I always ask this time of the year to let me know if any are past the selling date. A couple of times I got lucky and was able to get the boil in bag seasoning for a dollar. Any of these ingredients can be found at the Dollar Store. With no more worries about pulling weeds, maybe you will have more time to enjoy this beautiful time of the year.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

How do I kill a large patch of Agapanthus using only natural ingredients? I want to plant there afterwards as well. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is there a homemade recipe for killing weeds in the lawn without killing the grass?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To get rid of dandelions, spray straight vinegar into the center of each plant and in about two weeks they will all be dead and gone. Any that haven't disappeared will be dead and can be dug/pulled out.

We would like to try the solution of vinegar, Epsom salt, and dish soap, but are concerned if it will kill everything. We do not want "volunteers" oaks, coffeeberry, etc. to be killed. Thanks!

By Maria R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

First of all, you'd use regular salt; epsom salt is actually a plant food. Vinegar will render the soil sterile, meaning that nothing at all will grow there, maybe for decades (it stays in the soil). It will also render the soil sterile if a rain washes it to another place. It is best NOT to use it if you ever want anything to grow, ever. And yes, it will kill "volunteers." Just lightly spray the leaves with soapy (blue dawn dishwash soap) water on a really sunny day or use boiling water.

I am considering making a weed killer using vinegar and salt. What are the benefits and the amounts used?

By Donb

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is this safe to use on weeds around the base of a tree? Or will it harm the tree?

Read More Answers...

One can just pour hot water on plants to get rid of weeds. But, I wish people would really look at all the plants growing in their yards and ask why.

Instead of using harsh chemicals that can be lethal to children and animals and quite expensive, grab a nice big pot and fill it with water. Bring water to a rapid boil and pour on weeds. This literally fries the roots and the active growing weeds nearly instantly.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To kill dandelions, pour vodka into spray bottle and spray on dandelions on a sunny day. Add a little dish liquid for more stubborn weeds.

Does anyone know where corn gluten can be purchased? I have been told it is used in Oklahoma, spread like grass seed. It apparently feeds the grass and kills the weeds.

By Jaci

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may want to read this and other articles before you spend time and money on corn gluten.

http://www.safelawns.org/blog/2010/ ... 0-years-later-the-jury-is-still-out/

I've misplaced a very effective recipe for an natural weed killer. It used Pine Sol as one of the ingredients. Would greatly appreciate if anyone is familiar with this recipe.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use white vinegar, the cheaper the brand the better. Save the pinesol mixes to spray your trash cans, theones you put out for pick up. The pine sol smell makes the trash less nasty to your nose and totally nasty to the critters like racoons and skunks who may be in search of a free meal.

Be Careful with the vinegar. Don't get it on any plants you want to keep. Otherwise it's totally safe for you, your pets, and the environment.

Read More Answers...

I am looking for a recipe for organic weed and grass killer.

By Cynthia from TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I believe corn bran is now used to kill weeds, used like mulch. Covering grass with a mat, boards, or black plastic will kill it. How much grass influences the choice.

Read More Answers...

If you spray vinegar ''at what rate?" will you be able to grow other plants in the same area? Does the vinegar sterilize the ground or how long will it keep weeds from reappearing?

By Nellie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vinegar is a great weed killer, even better with dishsoap in it (the soap acts like a bonding agent) It will kill anything.

But unfortunately it changes the soil so that nothing will grow there after it has been used. Bleach is better 50/50- it doesnt hurt the soil and doesn't harm the environment. It dissipates after about 12 hours.

Read More Answers...

I thought I saw a homemade recipe to kill vegetation and weeds using rubbing alcohol. Can you help me? Or is there any other recipe that would kill thistles, etc.?

By Norrene

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

apparently you should use regular salt, as the Epsom salts are a fertilizer for plants. I did not know this, lol. Could have had megaweeds growing everywhere on my little lawn. I found by accident a wonderful weed and grass killer one time as our dog and house was sprayed by a skunk. So after spraying the house, I noticed later that same day that all of the grass on my lawn and ditch area, we lived in the countryside, it all turned an orangey colour and poof it died in two days. Amazing stuff, only problem is, the computer that it was on died and now I cannot find the recipie, oh crap.

It had glycerine included, it allows the mixture to stick to the leaves of the plant, plus if you use a nice smelling dish soap then your yard smells nice as well, bonus, lol.

Anyway, Take care Tracey and good luck.

John

Read More Answers...

Is there a formula for homemade weed killer?

By Pat H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's a good one I came across the other day!

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf001328.tip.html

Read More Answers...

How do I make and use vinegar weed killer?

By Glenda from Winfield, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used it when I lived in Louisiana & had fairly good luck. On a bright sunny day, I would spray full strength white vinegar on weeds & grass growing in places I didn't want it growing (like a small crack I had in the driveway). It took a few days to work. It won't work on huge patches, just strays and small clumps.

Read More Answers...

We've used vinegar for killing weeds around the garden, for several years now. It's a great way to get rid of weeds in cracks in cement or in a paved driveway. Just a word of warning, if you don't want it to die, then don't go near it with the vinegar

What is the best homemade weed killer?

By Diane from Center Point, IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vinegar works or boiling water but then you will kill the good things growing around it too. If you have individual weeds you want to kill, the best thing to do is take one of those sponge paint brushes (preferably a small one) and dip it in Roundup and "paint" the leaves of the weed. It takes it down to the root and does not affect the grass around it. It is time consuming but it works.

Read More Answers...

What is the best nontoxic weed killer to use and what ingredients are needed?

By Laurie from Jackson, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vinegar or Boiling Water: Regular household Vinegar can be used or you can buy a stronger vinegar at a plant nursery. Heating the vinegar up works even better! Put the vinegar in a garden-sprayer & spray on the weeds, or pour it directly on to the soil to kill the roots.

Vinegar is more permanent & will keep most things from growing long-term, while boiling water, of course is only temporary, but it works for areas where you may want to later grow things, like weeding flower or vegetable gardens or where you may want to plant foliage or bushes at a later date.

* To boil water outside, you can use a propane camping stove, but don't leave it unattended! Not even for a second, because a child or someone's pet could get burned!

Do the environment a favor & please don't use bleach, it IS toxic!

Read More Answers...

What is the best homemade remedy to kill weeds permanently around the house.

By samsosa35

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a video showing how to make homemade RoundUp http://www.recipes-network.net/home ... mp;feature=youtube_gdata_player.html

Load More
      Home and Garden Gardening WeedsNovember 25, 2011
      Rabbit in Grass With Dandelions
      Animal Safe Weed Killer Recipes
      screenshot of Image's website
      Image Weed Killer Reviews
      Dollar Weed
      Getting Rid of Dollar Weed
      Ants on the wall of a house.
      Homemade Ant Killer Recipes
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 3, 2016 at 3:06:14 AM on 10.0.1.250 in 299 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.