Homemade Weed Killer Recipes

Having weeds in your garden and lawn really detracts from the look of your yard. Avoid using harmful chemicals by making you own weed killer. This is a guide about homemade weed killer recipes.

Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 22, 2012 Flag

I have used the same method for many years now. Who would know that a huge mistake could turn out to be something useful years later? Maybe many ideas come to use that way, this one for sure did.

We were boiling shrimp with some friends when I lived in Louisiana. Being young and trying not to show it, actually taught me two things in the same weekend. One: do not put shrimp down the garbage disposal. Two: the hot mixture of spices kills your grass almost instantly! I do pretty much everything I can organically. If I still lived in the South where you boil shrimp or crawfish often, I would just use the left over water to pour on all my weeds. Since I have moved from there, now I make a special "brew" to kill all of those weeds, without hurting the environment. The ones that come up through cracks in driveway or close to the steps can't hide from this hot and spicy weed killer.

You take Cajun pepper (red pepper will do) and hot sauce, vinegar can also be added if you have extra. Bring it to a boil and pour directly on any area where you want everything to die. Be very careful not to get it on grass you want to stay alive. Anything this hot mixture is put on will die (ants don't like it either). If you make more then you use at any given time, put in bottle for next time. This works cool, but I have found it works faster when boiled, steaming hot. If you aren't wanting to see results immediately, know it works after mixture has cooled off.

I add a half jar of Cajun or red pepper and half a bottle of hot sauce to a large pot of water. You just know it is ready when your eyes are watering and the room fills with the smell of the mixture. I have added left over pickle juice, vinegar, even jalapeno juice to this, depending what is left over in my fridge or cabinets. This works and works well without hurting anything in the air; animals tend not to eat in that area but it doesn't hurt them.

If you do boil shrimp, crab or crawfish, please drain the water where any unwanted weeds are so you get double use out of something you would just throw away. At most markets that sell seafood, they have bags with seasoning already in it. I always ask this time of the year to let me know if any are past the selling date. A couple of times I got lucky and was able to get the boil in bag seasoning for a dollar. Any of these ingredients can be found at the Dollar Store. With no more worries about pulling weeds, maybe you will have more time to enjoy this beautiful time of the year.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 3, 2016 Flag

This page contains a salt and vinegar weed killer recipe. You can mix up a homemade weed killer solution using salt and vinegar.

Salt and Vinegar Weed Killer Recipe

March 19, 2014 Flag

We would like to try the solution of vinegar, Epsom salt, and dish soap, but are concerned if it will kill everything. We do not want "volunteers" oaks, coffeeberry, etc. to be killed. Thanks!

By Maria R.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

First of all, you'd use regular salt; epsom salt is actually a plant food. Vinegar will render the soil sterile, meaning that nothing at all will grow there, maybe for decades (it stays in the soil). It will also render the soil sterile if a rain washes it to another place. It is best NOT to use it if you ever want anything to grow, ever. And yes, it will kill "volunteers." Just lightly spray the leaves with soapy (blue dawn dishwash soap) water on a really sunny day or use boiling water.

April 15, 2009 Flag

One can just pour hot water on plants to get rid of weeds. But, I wish people would really look at all the plants growing in their yards and ask why.

Plants like dandelions have deep tap roots. They break up the soil and bring minerals up to the top soil. Why not just mow them down after they've bloomed. They are pretty. Plants tell you a lot about the condition of your land.

We've been taught to prefer manicured, scrubbed yards. There are no fruit trees anymore which could have something to do with the bee problem. No berry bushes, and a few set apart plants. Why not go crazy and go for lush? Weeds would get crowded out.

August 17, 2015 Flag

Instead of using harsh chemicals that can be lethal to children and animals and quite expensive, grab a nice big pot and fill it with water. Bring water to a rapid boil and pour on weeds. This literally fries the roots and the active growing weeds nearly instantly.

March 7, 2011 Flag

To kill dandelions, pour vodka into spray bottle and spray on dandelions on a sunny day. Add a little dish liquid for more stubborn weeds.

May 20, 2008 Flag

I've misplaced a very effective recipe for an natural weed killer. It used Pine Sol as one of the ingredients. Would greatly appreciate if anyone is familiar with this recipe.

I use white vinegar, the cheaper the brand the better. Save the pinesol mixes to spray your trash cans, theones you put out for pick up. The pine sol smell makes the trash less nasty to your nose and totally nasty to the critters like racoons and skunks who may be in search of a free meal.

Be Careful with the vinegar. Don't get it on any plants you want to keep. Otherwise it's totally safe for you, your pets, and the environment.

Read More Answers...

August 8, 2014 Flag

Does anyone know where corn gluten can be purchased? I have been told it is used in Oklahoma, spread like grass seed. It apparently feeds the grass and kills the weeds.

By Jaci

You may want to read this and other articles before you spend time and money on corn gluten.

http://www.safelawns.org/blog/2010/ ... 0-years-later-the-jury-is-still-out/

April 1, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a recipe for organic weed and grass killer.

By Cynthia from TX

I believe corn bran is now used to kill weeds, used like mulch. Covering grass with a mat, boards, or black plastic will kill it. How much grass influences the choice.

Read More Answers...

April 13, 2012 Flag

I thought I saw a homemade recipe to kill vegetation and weeds using rubbing alcohol. Can you help me? Or is there any other recipe that would kill thistles, etc.?

By Norrene

apparently you should use regular salt, as the Epsom salts are a fertilizer for plants. I did not know this, lol. Could have had megaweeds growing everywhere on my little lawn. I found by accident a wonderful weed and grass killer one time as our dog and house was sprayed by a skunk. So after spraying the house, I noticed later that same day that all of the grass on my lawn and ditch area, we lived in the countryside, it all turned an orangey colour and poof it died in two days. Amazing stuff, only problem is, the computer that it was on died and now I cannot find the recipie, oh crap.

It had glycerine included, it allows the mixture to stick to the leaves of the plant, plus if you use a nice smelling dish soap then your yard smells nice as well, bonus, lol.

Anyway, Take care Tracey and good luck.

John

Read More Answers...

March 31, 2012 Flag

Is there a formula for homemade weed killer?

By Pat H.

Here's a good one I came across the other day!

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf001328.tip.html

Read More Answers...

May 8, 2010 Flag

What is the best homemade weed killer?

By Diane from Center Point, IA

Vinegar works or boiling water but then you will kill the good things growing around it too. If you have individual weeds you want to kill, the best thing to do is take one of those sponge paint brushes (preferably a small one) and dip it in Roundup and "paint" the leaves of the weed. It takes it down to the root and does not affect the grass around it. It is time consuming but it works.

Read More Answers...

August 31, 2008 Flag

Here is a natural weed killer recipe.

August 5, 2010 Flag

What is the best homemade remedy to kill weeds permanently around the house.

By samsosa35

This is a video showing how to make homemade RoundUp http://www.recipes-network.net/home ... mp;feature=youtube_gdata_player.html

April 16, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about killing weeds with vinegar. A common kitchen product that can be helpful to kill unwanted plants, but you need to be careful around plants you want to keep.

Vinegar

June 1, 2004 Flag

I feed all of our wildlife here in the yard. I have a feeder for peanuts for the squirrels, they make a mess with the peanut shells, so I got the bright idea of using them for weed control. I put them around the flowers, and have started using them around my vegetable plants.

February 1, 2005 Flag

I am looking for a cure to kill the bind weed around my farm. I haven't minded it too much except that it is moving into my flower beds and that is a no, no. I've tried digging it, but there is just too much of it.

Donna Marie

try using just staight vinegar.....I use it on my sidewalks on pickers and grass but try to get the root area and try not to get other plants as it may damage their roots also....kid and animal safe

March 7, 2011 Flag

For weed killer, mix 2 cups table salt with 1 gallon white vinegar (5% acidity) and 8 drops dish soap. Label and store. This will kill any and all vegetation. spraying this multiple times will sterilize the soil so nothing will grow there for a long time. Good for areas like sidewalks.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Answers:

Homemade weed killer

Here's something I've used: Combine one ounce gin, one ounce dish soap and one ounce vinegar. Put into a 32 oz. sprayer and fill with water. Spray just the weed. You can also put baking soda on just the weed. They turn black and shrivel up. To kill weeds in sidewalk cracks, pour boiling water on them. (04/20/2001)

Homemade weed killer

1 gallon white vinegar plus 1 pound of table salt (03/25/2004)

By noname

Homemade weed killer

Here's a great weed killer you can make yourself for about $2 a gallon: Dissolve 1 pound table salt in 1 gallon white vinegar (5% acidity is ideal) Add 8 drops of liquid dish washing detergent (helps plant material absorb the liquid) Label and keep out of reach of children. You can use this in an ordinary spray bottle. This non-toxic formula acts as a temporary soil sterilizer, so don't spray near roots of trees, shrubs, or plants you'd like to keep. This is especially effective on a gravel driveway. (03/25/2004)

By oops

Homemade weed killer

Get a gallon sprayer at a Home Improvement store. Mix equal parts of vinegar and lemon juice in the sprayer and spray directly on the weeds. It works best if the temp stays above 70 degrees at least for a couple of days. Watch the weeds turn brown and die in no time! Repeat as needed! (02/25/2005)

By Jason from Gilbert, AZ

August 9, 2010 Flag

How do I make weed killer?

By Charlie from Dayton, TN

Answers:

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

I have 2 very old remedies;

1) Use straight bleach.

2) Mix 1 part liquid dish soap, 2 parts vinegar, 2 parts water.
    (07/13/2010)

By ang253

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

I'd think the bleach would stain or wash out the other grass around it. I've heard of the vinegar route, but haven't tried it. Worth a shot! (07/13/2010)

By Allison5

Recipe for a Homemade Weedkiller

I tried this suggestion: mix 1 part liquid dish soap, 2 parts vinegar, 2 parts water.

A

fter a week, no dead weeds. Sprayed them again, nothing. Perhaps my using apple vinegar is the reason. I'll try it with a different kind of vinegar. By the way, one recipe similar to the one I mentioned, had you adding a tablespoon of gin to the mixture. What a waste of perfectly gin, and it did not help (grin). (07/13/2010)

By duanedv

August 5, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a homemade weed killer recipe.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Roberta

Answers:

Make Your Own Weed Killer Recipe

I killed my frogs, thousands of them. I used Roundup because I did not know. Agent Orange. Now it is cut, pull, and spray with vinegar if I have to. Because of having no frogs, my garden is loaded with bugs. (06/05/2010)

By muttmom

Make Your Own Weed Killer Recipe

Re: Vinegar for killing weeds.

We've used vinegar for killing weeds around the garden, for several years now. It's a great way to get rid of weeds in cracks in cement or in a paved driveway. You can pour it on directly from the jug or put it in a spray bottle (use full strength). Just a word of warning, if you don't want it to die, then don't go near it with the vinegar. If using in a flower garden, be careful around the plants you want to keep. The vinegar will leach to the other plants through the roots and kill them, so it may be better to pull these by hand.

Hope this helps. Good luck! (06/07/2010)

By Pam in Beeton

Make Your Own Weed Killer Recipe

Use pickling vinegar instead of regular white or malt vinegar since it contains 7% acetic acid and not the usual 5%.
    The ratio of 1 teaspoon (5 millilitres) of liquid washing soap to 1 gallon (4 Litres) pickling vinegar is fine. (06/29/2010)

By sofblend

July 13, 2010 Flag

I'd like to use some kind of natural weed killer that I can make myself to use in and around my flower and vegetable garden without killing off my vegetables and flowers. What do you recommend?

June 8, 2010 Flag

I need a homemade weedkiller that will get rid of burdock, stinging nettles and bull thistles.

Load More
    Home and Garden Gardening WeedsNovember 25, 2011
    Rabbit in Grass With Dandelions
    Animal Safe Weed Killer Recipes
    screenshot of Image's website
    Image Weed Killer Reviews
    Dollar Weed
    Getting Rid of Dollar Weed
    Ants on the wall of a house.
    Homemade Ant Killer Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 30, 2016 at 3:04:48 AM on 10.0.1.144 in 791 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.