Unusual Objects in the Garden

Here are some unusual objects that people have in their garden.

Bowling Ball

I use a bright blue bowling ball as a gazing ball in my garden. I have some others that I plan to paint and sink part way in the garden at different intervals. I will paint a face on one for the head and the others for segments for a large worm/larva.

By Ajdutchtown

Recycled Items

My garden not only had old army helmets spray painted to look like rocks and sunk half way into the ground, but it also had an old mailbox (the large kind) without the door. I put it into my garden put dirt into it and planted flowers coming out of it. I also had one area that I called my eternal garden. It bloomed all year round, even in the snow... it was silk flowers planted in an old tire ring that was spray painted to look like a clay pot and decorated with "critters". You know the type you buy to put in the garden (squirrels, rabbits, etc.). Any garden can be creative, especially when you recycle old things (chairs, tires, tubs, footlockers, etc. - flea market finds).

Unusual Containers

I'm always looking for unusual containers having been a military wife and now married to a contractor. In other words, I'm used to thinking of the next move. Now that we have our feet planted firmly on the ground, things are a little different.

My aunt gave me a copper wire cat for Christmas. You're supposed to store eggs in it, or a house plant. I've set it out in the garden, it looks like it's looking out from under the azalea bushes!

This isn't really an object on display, but the previous owners left a bunch of rubber mats around the property. I've been using them to kill off grass where I'm planning a garden for next year. The previous owners left a lot of trash, I've found a bunch of broken buckets which I'm using to make an eclectic collection of raised beds!

We also have an old chimney in a wooded area that I am planning on covering with air plants if possible. I just have to find some for zone 7!

By Voni

Killing Weeds

I liked the idea of the rubber mats for killing off weeds. I used an old carpet to kill off weeds in the drive to the gas pump on our farm. Old clay fired tile make excellent 'flower' pots.

By ajdutchtown

RE: Unusual Objects in the Garden

I have an old wringer washer, I used to use it for a ice container for parties, it is now a planter and looks really neat. I have an old tub on wheels which is now a planter as well!

By Rosa Brown

Furniture

I have an old willow couch that was left outside too long and is no longer useful as a piece of furniture. I have it sitting in my back yard covered with vinca vines. I planted a climbing rose behind it. I'm hoping I can bend the branches over the couch and wind it around the willow. It looks very rustic and interesting. We also have an old bed that we converted into a raised bed for flowers.

By Susan

Ideas from the South

I grew up in the south where anything is game! We had a friend that had an antique stove and had it placed in the garden and took the metal plates from the top of the stove and placed pots inside of them. My mother "inherited" an old wagon wheel, bed pot, and water pump she placed in her yard and planted flowers in or around. She also had acquired some old cowboy boots and filled those with dirt and planted flowers in them and placed them around her yard.

My husband and I used to own a four-plex and someone in a building behind ours had thrown out an iron chair that the seat had come off of. I spray painted it a pretty sage green and was going to put a large flower pot inside the seat hole when I remembered I had an antique wash basin and it fit perfectly. Every time I have a yard sale someone tries to buy it from me!

By Tawnda

Bike Planters and Trolls

Several places have seen old bikes painted and roped in the yard with flowers in the baskets. It has a certain charm if it's done right!

A while back I lucked out when a neighbor's rummage sale flopped and I got a bunch of stuff they sat out for the trash truck. In that "mess" I found some really interesting garden trolls - Ozark style made from tree limbs with forest stuff for hair and facial features. They had "ages" marked on the tags 116, 642 and so on - really fun! I hid some in the branches of some bushes in the yard so that they peek out.

By melody_yesterday

China Dishes

I use antique china saucers to line my flower beds, it's beautiful. Place them very close together and they will have a beautiful scalloped edge. Use platters or plates for end pieces. I even put a row in my window boxes at the front side just to prissy it up.

By Libertysweat

I have an old wheel barrow that I have tipped partly over and have flower pots in it. I also have an old fashioned root beer barrel that I put a flower pot in and it looks great.

My creative neighbor has an old iron bed frame set in her garden for a "flower bed". Also a china toilet she uses as a planter, a cast iron bathtub that looks gorgeous with wave petunias spilling from it. I've seen dozens of people stop by the roadside to take a picture of it. Her morning glories climb up an old stepladder. She also has an assortment of old shoes, a cowboy boot, and grapevine wreaths used as planters.

I love garden junk! I have a pair of childrens cowboy boots with hen and chicks growing in them; a tipped wheelbarrow with a variety of flowers planted in it; a youth size bedframe with lillies planted in it; and several glass garden totems scattered here and there. The totems are made up of recycled glass vases, plates, bowls, insulators, candlesticks, or whatever is handy glued together. They sparkle beautifully in the flowerbeds. Here's a blue one to show what they can look like, but no 2 are usually alike.

I have a girlfriend who uses the perennial favorite toilet as a planter. She put it behind their garage so you can't see it from the street.

MY FLOWER BED HAS AN OLD CONSTRUCTION WHEEL BARROW THAT IS FULL OF FLOWERS; IN THE CORNER OF THIS FLOWERBED AGAINST THE HOUSE IS AN OLD CHAIR THAT HAS A ROUND WASH TUB FULL OF FLOWERS. I PLACED A CERAMIC DUCK TUCKED WITHIN THE FLOWERS IN THE CONSTRUCTION WHEEL BARROW PLUS AN OLD PIECE OF AN OLD PLOW. THE WHEEL BARROW IS PAINTED HUNTER GREEN WITH BLUE DOTS ON IT; WE FOUND THE WHEEL BARROW IN THE WOODS NEXT TO OUR PROPERTY WHEN WE MOVED IN THE HOUSE; THE HANDLE WAS BROKEN OFF ON ONE SIDE, BUT IT GIVES IT CHARACTER!

I PLACE CRACKED TEACUPS/SAUCERS IN MY WINDOW BOXES AS BIRD FEEDERS FOR SMALL BIRDS OR FOR WATER FOR THE BIRDS; I HAVE ALSO PUT CITRONELLA VOTIVE CANDLES IN THE TEACUPS IN THE WINDOW BOXES ON MY DECK RAILING; THE CANDLES ARE LIT AT NIGHT DURING THE SUMMER SEASON AND GIVES A NICE GLOW TO THE DECK.

I WILL PUT ANYTHING IN MY GARDEN UNDER MY OAK. LOOK FOR THE OLD MAN IN THE TREE. I BOUGHT THIS HOUSE AFTER KATRINA FOR THIS OAK TREE I JUST LOVE IT. MY DAUGHTER PAINTED THE MAILBOX. ODD THINGS GIVES IT CHARM. HAPPY GARDENING.

I have a favorite "pot"! I used an old toilet -- drilled holes in the bottom of the bowl for drainage and partially filled the bottom with broken pottery. Using potting soil, I filled the bowl and the tank to receive the begonias (in the bowl) and airplane plants (in the tank). I live in a "plush" neighborhood and I don't think the deed restriction committee would appreciate my "pot" in the front yard, so I have it in a small garden by my back door!! Makes me giggle!!

We do have strange things in our yard too. GG Vi

July 8, 2014 Flag

Photo Description
Our 2014 garden is completely organic with a great crop (snap peas, Brussels sprouts, green beans, tomatoes, broccoli, green peppers, pumpkins, and more!) which will come in handy due to an "early unexpected" retirement for both of us!

Note the recycled wooden clock case made into a birdhouse to attract our pest eating friends and the discarded room gate for our snap peas to climb on!

We are avid THRIFTY FUN members!

Photo Location
Home Sweet Home, Sterling PA

A wheelbarrow planter.
Unusual Garden Decorations
Home and Garden Gardening DecorationJune 28, 2007
Wild Grape Vines
Getting Rid Of Wild Grape Vines
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Glass Bottles on Garden Path
From Trash to Garden Treasure
Crochet top pin cushion, a craft found on Thriftyfun. Submitted by a member.
Making a Tea Cup Pincushion
🎄