Painting Over Chrome

I'd like to know the proper technique to paint over chrome.

Captnronoh from Toledo, OH

Best Answer

Honestly, painting over chrome doesn't have to be very costly. All you have to do is go to any home improvement store (Lowes is the most reliable) and talk to one of the paint specialists. Instead of using sand paper, you'll need to get a finishing pad to rough up the surface of the chromed metal you are wanting to paint over. Then, you'll want to buy a high performance spray paint for metal (like Rustoleum) to then spray on to the surface that's going to be painted. I've personally done this for marching band. We had to re-spray the rims of our drums black (they were previously chromed) and the only places where the paint chipped off was where the rims themselves were hit from doing rim shots. Other than that, the rims get painted every four years.

So, did you try and what was the result. The answers you received were very conflicting. If you are pleased with the outcome, please tell me what method and product you used. I want to paint kitchen faucets and it will HAVE to be tough.

Thanks

June 13, 2002 Flag
Request:

This is the first time I have visited your website, so I hope you can answer my question. I am planning to purchase this vintage bread box from ebay that is white with chrome door and I cannot find a total matching canister set but saw an all chrome canister set that might match if I painted part of it white to match the bread box. So my question is, can I paint over chrome? And if so, what kind of paint would I buy? Thank you, and hope you can help.

Bluraindrop

Answers:

You can paint just about any surface IF

you prepare it correctly. A coat of primer is a must when painting metal or plastic. You can get primer at any store that sells paint! :)

Post by voni

Painting Over Chrome

no, you will not get paint or normal primers to stay on chrome, it will just fall of when dry, before you apply primer & top coat, a chrome surface needs a coat of "2pack etch" which is poisonous & best left to professionals.

Post by pc

Painting Over Chrome

Sand blasting also works and it is nontoxic and cheeper to remove the chrome and leave the bear metal to paint.

Post by JIM BOB OWENS
Closeup of Chrome
Painting Over Chrome
Crafts AdviceMarch 21, 2006
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Paint Roller Putting Teal Paint on Wall
Cleaning Paint Rollers
Polished Chrome on Classic Car
Polishing Chrome
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
🎄