Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

By cyd 1

I have a grey porcelain bathroom sink that I love. Around the drain there is quite a bit of rust. I really don't want to replace the sink. Does anyone know how to get rid of rust once and for all? Or could I sand down the rusty spots and apply paint for porcelain over it and have it last? Thanks.

By Cyd from CO

Filter Sort

thr313760 Flag

"Have you tried Bar Keeper's Friend? I had a stained porcelain sink (marks from my cast iron skillet, plus rust from something else), and nothing else helped. My mother-in-law recommended Bar Keeper's Friend, and it worked like a charm! I found it in the cleaning supplies near Comet. Best of luck!"

(http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf55521849.tip.html)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By NG 1 Flag

I tried the pumice stone that was suggested on this page and it worked! It's not 100% yet, but close (98% gone). I'd recommend this over the chemicals. At least, give it a try first. Thanks Kristal.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

There are some rust spots around the edge of the overflow drain in my porcelain sink. Does anyone have a way to clean off this rust?

Karen

Answers:

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

I would use Clorox Cleanup. It has removed rust stains on my counter tops. You just need to let it sit for awhile, at least 1/2 hour, before wiping up. Hope this helps. (04/26/2005)

By Antique Lady

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

There's a cleanser called Zud made especially for this problem. It works great and can even lighten up really old rust stains. Most grocery stores, Kmarts and Walmarts should carry this with all other cleansers. (04/26/2005)

By pattyneu

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

My first thought was BarKeepers Friend too. I use it all the time and love it. Along with the other uses mentioned I've found that it removes koolade and juice stains from my countertop too. It also does a great job on removing the stains in my sink that get down in those little tiny scratches. Just wet the sink, sprinkle it on and let it set about 10 minutes. Then gently scrub. My sink looks like new again! I use it in my bathroom sink and tub too. It's my favorite cleaning product. (04/27/2005)

By Shirley M

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

We have well water here and I have great sucess with "Iron Out" (http://www.ironout.com/) avalible at he grocery or hardware stores.

I also LOVE Bar Keepers Friend!!! I use it on counter tops and sinks and tubs and much much more!

I don't think you will be disappointed with these products. Good Luck! (04/27/2005)

By Summer

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Purchase a bottle of Whink Rust Remover. You will find it in any hardware store....possibly even the supermarket. Don't let it sit on the sink too long. It will remove the rust in a hurry. Bonnie (04/28/2005)

By bbartlein

RE: burnStain On Porcelain Sink

Someone left a cigarette on the bathroom sink and it left a burn mark. Is there any way of getting it out? (04/28/2005)

By flame49.

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

There is a product called CLR that can be purchased in most grocery stores as well as Walmart, Fred Myer etc. CLR removes calcium, rust and lime try it but use gloves since it is hard on the skin, I have used it for many years with great success. (05/05/2005)

By Walker

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

My contractor used a product called 'naval jelly' to remove the rust left in my tub when one of the framers left nails in the bathtub. That rust stain was in the tub for months before he removed it.....I kept telling him I'd want a new tub if that rust didn't come out, but he got it out!!!! Try naval jelly. (05/06/2005)

By Lisa

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

You should use Bar Keepers Friend. It works great on porcelain sinks. You can find it at local stores or they have a web site at www.barkeepersfriend.com (05/27/2005)

By Lisa Neace

mold in bathroom shower

Help my shower gets so moldy how do i get all that mold off the tiles and grout ? i am so fed up (07/05/2005)

By miriamnurse

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Lowe's sells a product called Zud. You can find it in the cleaning section next to Comet or Ajax. It's non-abrasive and works very well on copper bottom pots or good quality cookware, also. (07/05/2005)

By jeanne

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Can anyone tell me if this will also work for old bathtubs? I live in an apartment that is like close to 50 years old so who knows how old the bathtub is. The bottom of it is just yuck. I cannot get it cleaned to white no matter what I use. The best I have found is dishwasher liquid - like you use in a dishwasher, but that still doesn't totally clean it. I also have the same problem with the toilet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. (07/05/2005)

By TonyaG

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

This is for Tonya G....

Try using a Mr. Clean Magic Sponge on your tub. I have used them to remove soap scum and the other icky stuff that collects on the fiberglass tub at home (I can't use anything abrasive to clean it, or it will scratch). I was at a loss as to what to use to clean the tub, but I tried one of the sponges and have been using them ever since. You will have to apply a little elbow grease, especially if there is a big buildup of stuff on the tub, but I think that you will be happy with the results. Good luck! (07/06/2005)

By P.

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

P - I happen to have one of those Mr. Clean Erasers. Can you tell me if you use any kind of cleaner with the eraser? Thanks for the tip. (07/06/2005)

By TonyaG

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

ZUD, ZUD, ZUD...Jeanne previously gave this suggestion but I want to emphasize that she is correct. ZUD is a powder that contains oxalic acid and is sold as a "Rust Remover." It works! Wet the rust with water and sprinkle the ZUD on the rust and rub with a sponge or paper towel into a paste. Let set for a few minutes. Then rub the rust out. It should not require much effort. I even used a paste of water and Zud to remove an "unremovable" rust stain from my favorite white dress shirt after I had tried a myriad of solutions to no avail. Zud is available at virtually any grocery store, usually in the same location as other "kitchen cleansers" like Comet. Zud comes in a round cylindrical box like other kitchen cleansers. (07/07/2005)

By Lee Smithson

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

I hope your porcelain sink isn't like ours, as where the rust stains were around the overflow drain, they've all chipped off, from there all the way to the bottom drain!!! We're going to have to replace both our bathroom sinks, due to this. I'm not sure what's caused it, but it is where toothpaste is usually dropped sometimes while brushing ones teeth and where we'd spit and rinse our teeth. If it is the toothpaste & dental rinse, makes you wonder what's doing to our teeth! (08/11/2005)

By badwater

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Just a warning about using CLR--I tried it for the rust around my drain on my porcelain sink and guess I left in on too long, because it stripped the shiny layer off the porcelain where it had touched it. So use caution. (11/24/2005)

By Guest

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

any mark on porcelain can be polished out with cleaning cream for smooth top ranges. restores it like new (11/27/2005)

By scooty

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Barkeepers' Friend is the best thing to use. Make a paste and let it sit on stain, then scrub. Repeat if neccesary. (09/03/2006)

By Beth

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Try vinegar and baking soda paste. Mix some vinegar and baking soda into a paste and let it sit on the stain for 10 minutes. Worked for me. I caught the stain early, within 24 hours, I had left a wet tool on the sink after I repaired the sink the night before and the tool left a rust stain on the sink. (07/02/2007)

By Pork

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Oh my gosh, I just read this page and luckily had just bought Barkeeper's Friend (Lowes was out of Ajax.) and it did exactly what people have said. All the rust in my bathtub is gone! What a miracle! I was beginning to lose hope. (08/11/2007)

By linyan

Archive: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

I was wanting to know how do you remove rust from a porcelain kitchen sink? Mr. Clean Eraser doesn't work neither does a Brillo pad. So I need some help with this problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me I appreciate it. Have a wonderful day.

Teresa from Richlands, VA

Feedback:

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

I had the same problem and no chemical would work. My last option was to try a pumice stone. I could not believe how easily it worked! It just erased the rust stain. Too easy! (09/28/2007)

By Kristal

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Try some powdered Comet with bleach, on a sponge that should do the trick. (09/28/2007)

By purrplekat

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

There's a product you can buy. Hopefully in your area. It's called Wink. It comes in a brown bottle. It's a liquid and it works awesomely on getting rust out of anything from cloths to sinks, toilets, and showers. It's great and I've never had it hurt anything. Try looking for it in a hardware store. (09/30/2007)

By Amy

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

For badwater -
In my experience I've only seen rust stains in a sink because of continuous dripping from a leaky faucet. If it's what you think it is then tell everyone to rinse the sink when they're done. (11/12/2007)

By dusti07

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Try "Bar Keepers Friend" it is a scouring powder that took all the marks and stains off of my porcelain sink. We bought it at Ace hardware I think you can get it at Home Depot, too. (12/17/2007)

By Christine

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

Try Sno-bowl. It is a blue liquid made for removing rust stains on toilet rims. The ring of rust (left in my white porcelain sink after my husband left a rusty pan lid over night) was gone in minutes. (01/27/2008)

By LMB TL WI

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

The easiest way to get it out is to pour salt in a pile over the spot and then squeeze lemon juice over the salt making it wet, but not runny. Let it sit overnight and then wipe it away. The acidity in the combination pulls the rust stain right out of the porcelain and into the salt mixture with no chemicals or mess left over. This works wonders, I use it in my sink quite often. (02/10/2008)

By Mel

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

I left a razor in the wet sink for 2 days.
Never-Dull metal polish and cleaner worked in 5 seconds.
The Clorox pen did not work after 3 treatments. Magic Eraser did not work.
CLR showed some improvement after 3 treatments and one bottle.
(02/19/2008)

By Christina

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

I tried most of these suggestions without success. I then tried Finesse-It 2, made by 3M, an automobile detail compound. It is expensive, but used with a soft Brite pad, the rust was gone in 5 minutes. My wife is upset with me because she had worked so hard to get rid of it. Use it dry. (07/04/2008)

By Bob

RE: Rust Stain On Porcelain Sink

I came here and the toothpaste and baking soda worked great! It only took a minute. My wife was pleasantly surprised. (09/17/2009)

By shadows865

Porcelain Sink
Removing Stains from a Porcelain Sink
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenNovember 11, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Porcelain Sink
Removing Stains from a Porcelain Sink
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:06:26 PM on 10.0.2.139 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings