Cleaning a Rust Stain on a Porcelain Sink

This is a guide about cleaning a rust stain on a porcelain sink. There are a number of ways to remove stubborn rust discoloration from a porcelain fixture.

November 11, 2010 Flag

I have a grey porcelain bathroom sink that I love. Around the drain there is quite a bit of rust. I really don't want to replace the sink. Does anyone know how to get rid of rust once and for all? Or could I sand down the rusty spots and apply paint for porcelain over it and have it last? Thanks.

By Cyd from CO

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

A pumice stone will also remove the brown ring in your toilet bowl without scratching it up!

"Have you tried Bar Keeper's Friend? I had a stained porcelain sink (marks from my cast iron skillet, plus rust from something else), and nothing else helped. My mother-in-law recommended Bar Keeper's Friend, and it worked like a charm! I found it in the cleaning supplies near Comet. Best of luck!"

(http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf55521849.tip.html)

I tried the pumice stone that was suggested on this page and it worked! It's not 100% yet, but close (98% gone). I'd recommend this over the chemicals. At least, give it a try first. Thanks Kristal.

make a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide with a ratio of 2:1. Spread it on the stain area and let stand for at least 45 min. Scrub it gently. Repeat it again regularly.

December 21, 2009 Flag

I recently moved into a house with an old porcelain sink, where the previous tenant clearly didn't take much pride in keeping their sink clean. It has stains in it (rust? spaghetti sauce? who knows!) that two rounds of soaking with a bleach solution and a couple of Comet scrub downs have not gotten out. I've made a dent in them, but I'm not convinced I'm going about getting them out the right way. Any suggestions on how to get these stains off of this otherwise beautiful white sink?

Michelle

Answers:

Rust Stains in a White Sink

If the stain really is rust, unfortunately bleach will set it. So it may be too late to do anything. It's usually safe to try something like baking soda as an abrasive scrub if you aren't sure if something is rust. Sorry not too much help now! (08/27/2004)

By Katie

Rust Stains in a White Sink

Toilette bowl cleaner and a brush.. Be sure to use gloves when scrubbing or squirt on and let sit overnight. Then brush and rinse with lots of water. (08/27/2004)

By Michaela

Rust Stains in a White Sink

I have usede a product called "ZUD", it comes in a can like comet..and it works great. You can even make a paste and let it sit on your stains. (08/27/2004)

By Faithful

Rust Stains in a White Sink

Rub gently with 'wet and dry' sandpaper. It may have a different name in the USA but any sandpaper with a grit of 600 or greater. As the name suggests it can be used with water and does not damage the surface. It can also be used on 'toilet rings'. Much less toxic and cheaper than buying chemicals.

Regards

Jo (08/27/2004)

By Jo Bodey

Rust Stains in a White Sink

I've used a product called Lime Away with good results, of course a lot of elbow grease and a good brush along with it. (08/27/2004)

By Ann

Rust Stains in a White Sink

I had the same problem in our old farm house tub when we moved in (from rust). I bought a bottle of The Works tub/shower cleaner at Rural King or Dollar General has it too-less then $4. Every time I walked by I would spray some on the stain, it eventually just ate it off. Took maybe 1/2 the bottle, stain had been there a loooooooooong time. Just keep letting it soak. Make sure to rinse it really good and wash with some soap after. I've used this product on lots of things and it's always worked. The Works for the toilets works great too. Good luck:) (08/28/2004)

By

Rust Stains in a White Sink

SnoBol. It literally "melts" the rust away. Just be careful. Keep the water running or this stuff may eat into the porcelain....I don't know for sure, but it sure was the answer to my prayers when I needed to remove years worth of rust from a double shower and various sinks in the house. No scrubbing. (08/28/2004)

By mperrin.2

Rust Stains in a White Sink

"The Works" is the best I've used. It's far better that Lime Away. Use heavy rubber gloves! I've used "The Works" for toilets (great job removing tough rings), for tub and shower (removing mineral deposits), window cleaner.
I've not used "ZUD" yet, but want to try it. I was told it would remove rust spots that are appearing on my oneida flatware when it comes out of the dishwasher. (09/24/2004)

By Oscar

Rust Stains in a White Sink

Rust in sinks, bathtubs, etc. is usually caused from a bacteria that grows in the hotwater heater. You can find out more from a hotwater heater manfacturer. I learned this from information I found on the http://www.hotwater.com/index.html website. You can clean it but if you don't correct the problem then the rust will return. (01/30/2005)

By Allen

Rust Stains in a White Sink

"The Works" Toilet cleaner got rid of rust in my white sink within a few minutes. Purchased at Dollar General for a buck or two. Great Stuff! (02/12/2005)

By Hack

Rust Stains in a White Sink

Thanks to reading about "The Works" on your site, my sink came clean. The rust disappeared with a minimal amount of effort. The cost was little for such wonderful results. Thank you again. (08/07/2005)

By Patty D

Rust Stains in a White Sink

I've used just about everything to get the rust stains out of my white kitchen sink. After reading a few posts, I found out about BarKeepers Friend. I let it sit in for about 5 minutes, scrubed and rinsed. I didn't even have to scrub hard, it all just came off! I was amazed :) (01/22/2006)

By HTStylez

Rust Stains in a White Sink

I use a product called "Whink" Rust and Stain Remover. It is a brown plastic bottle with a white cap. Look for it at Home Depot, Menard's, Lowe's. Put some on a soft white cloth and rub. (04/12/2006)

By clarissa

Thank you for the feedback!!!!

I wanted to purchase a porcelain sink but was afraid of it staining. This page has helped me to make a decision on getting it anyway, confidently knowing that I will be able to keep it clean!!!! (10/27/2006)

By Tina

Rust Stains in a White Sink

Toothpaste and baking soda.Mix into a paste, dab it on dry and then scrub and rinse! For a panic situation. (09/22/2007)

By kimberely

Rust Stains in a White Sink

I just used toothpaste. Left it on for a few minutes and rubbed off. It worked like a charm and I didn't have to buy anything new! My rust stain was new, though, so this may not be as helpful for older stains. (05/15/2008)

By mm in dc

Rust Stains in a White Sink

Toothpaste and baking soda work great! It also worked for rust stains on my counter top. Just put the toothpaste on the stain first, then rub a bit of baking soda on top to make a paste. Leave on for a couple of minutes, scrub a bit, and it's gone!
And these were old rust stains that I had tried removing various ways! (11/13/2008)

By Chele

If you only used some "Iron Out" on it you wouldn't have a need to ask this question. Sprinkle some on, let set, wipe and rinse. It truly removes any type of stain on porcelain sinks and more.

Sold at Lowes

Boat Hull cleaner in spray bottle works fast with no scrubbing at all. Get it from Acadamy sports. Read caution label before using.

September 26, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

November 11, 2010 Flag

I was wanting to know how do you remove rust from a porcelain kitchen sink?

Home and Garden Cleaning RustNovember 23, 2016
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Porcelain Sink
Removing Stains from a Porcelain Sink
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄