Big Barker: Tone Down By Barking Dog

Could anyone lend me some advice on how to tone down my barking dog. She barks when she sees people or when she's nervous. I haven't had alot of luck training her. Please Help..I think my neighbors are starting to get annoyed.

- Michelle

Go to your public library and look for dog training books and videos. Also go to message boards at dog sites such as allpets.com (their message board is called "community"). There are some dog breeds who are known to be barkers and people should do alot of research so that they do not end up with a dog who has characteristics that they do not want.

Walmart sells bark control collars. One makes a high pitched noise when the dog barks and the other emits a mild static shock. My friend has used the one that makes the noise and she has had really good results with it. The one that emits the shock probably works better but it seems a little inhumane.

I have a cocker spaniel with a big mouth also. Barks at anything that moves. I bought the barker which emits a mild static shock each time he barks, and believe me it works. It may be a bit inhumane, but he only got a shock twice. After that, as soon as he sees me approach with the collar, that's the end of the barking for a while.

I own 2 jack russell terrors and live in an apartment and barking is not a problem.I trained both of them through motivational methods and they will do anything I ask. Get a book search the internet or go to motivational classes.Dogs were not born knowing what we expect from them.

By the way jacks like many other hunting dogs were bred to bark.

training is the key-take yourself and your dog to school-obience school-we hope it will work wonders for us-is your dog shy or scared? what type/breed si she? She just may need lots of love and reassurance-check out the topic entitled shy dog that has already been posted-it is about my dog faith and her struggles for confidence. I highly recommend school and do not yell or threaten her. Instead, correct her in a firm manner-offer her treats-each shy/scared dog is so different call your vet and ask to speak with a behaviorsit speacialist or recommend one. she may also miss you when you are not at home-do you kennel her? she may just need structure-there isn't enough information from your posting there is a reason why she doing what she is doing-her barking/acting out is how she is trying to tell you that something really bothers her. Get her help-she will be much happier and more loving-she is your baby-i wish you well

betty from ohio

I wouldn't use the ones that "shock" dogs in anyway. There are citronella collars which actually scared my dog also, plus I had read that citronella is not good for them.

I would like something also that is humane.