Various Old Food Tips
These are interesting food tips from an old book:
- Asparagus will retain it's beautiful green if cooked uncovered in an open saucepan with water to cover. Asparagus water is full of vitamins and can be served separately.
- When opening a an of asparagus, turn the can upside down and open the bottom end first, as the tips are at the top of the can and can be easily broken.
- If you wish to speed up the task of shelling lima beans, put the pods in a shallow pan and pour very hot water over them. After 3 minutes turn them into a colander and cool them quickly by letting cold water run over them. When dried, either by a paper towel or cloth, the lima beans will shell as easily as peas.
- Cook string beans whole whenever possible and in very little fast boiling water. This will help retain much of the mineral and vitamin content.
- When cooking dried beans to be baked, to eliminate distress after eating them, parboil for a few minutes using about a teaspoon of baking soda in the water in which they are boiled. The gas that causes distress will be eliminated.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on November 28, 2016 at 12:14:52 AM on 10.0.0.45 in 930 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us