Feeding a Parvo Survivor

Category Health
Once your dog recovers from the parvo virus you can begin introducing some solid food. Your vet will probably have good advice. Bland foods, such as chicken broth, boiled chicken, and rice are good options. Their regular food is also good for pups who don't eat people food. Additionally, you will want to introduce food in small quantities. Add more as your pet continues to improve.

A few weeks ago, we adopted a 2mo old Pit Mastiff puppy from a shelter. A couple of days after we got her, she was diagnosed with parvo. After vet treatment, she's completely recovered and is almost as good as new. The problem we're having is feeding her. She is obviously ravenous and can eat a lot of food super fast if we let her, but she's quick to vomit if we feed her too much or if we let her eat too fast.

The only food she'll touch is her large breed puppy kibble - she hates people food, the healthy, puppy-approved people food like chicken and rice, and wet dog food. So we've been measuring out her food and through trial and error have discovered she can keep down 1/4 cup of kibble three times a day (a fourth feeding and she throws it up, at 1/2 cup at each feeding she throws it up). We've been able to try 1/3 cup today, so far it's been successful.

But, by restricting her food, and with her being a giant breed mix, I fear we're starving her. She's been home a week and hasn't really gained any weight. How much should be feeding her? Are there any tips to help her get what she needs without eating too much and too fast for her recovering GI system?

Answers

It appears that you are handling this correctly. I had 2 dogs that survived parvo and feeding them was a hit and miss. I was lucky that both of my dogs loved pasta, rice, and boiled chicken. This made it easier on their system and easier to feed them like this.

My vet said to feed the dog very small meals several times a day. He told me to look to see if the dog could handle the amount of food I was giving them or not. You just need to keep an eye on the dog and regulate the food accordingly.

Try feeding smaller meals and maybe adding a little more as her stomach gets stronger. Parvo takes time, more for some than others. She is small but she will get there. Be sure to follow the Vet's advice!

You're doing fine, the pup's stomach will get better. If you're concerned about nutrition, maybe try a liquid (ensure) or something similar and see how the puppy tolerates it.

One week isn't bad. Also, Science Diet has some for sensitive stomach that may work.

Parvo survivors do well with soup and other soft foods. Also just whatever he wants to eat.

Your feeding him just right.Your introducing it back to him slowly.

My six month old puppy is recovering from parvo. What kind of diet should she be on?

Alberta

Answers

I am sure that the vet that treated your dog would be happy to give suggestions. I had one that would get sick often, but not with Parvo, and our vet always said to feed mild foods, like soft boiled chicken, unseasoned, use the thigh meat, and yogurt.

He just had a regular stomach virus. I would check with your vet though.

We gave my moms toy poodle baby food and pedialite on suggestion from vet, till he was ready for more.

I am nursing a puppy back from Parvo right now, and he has been doing well after seeing the Vet and getting medication to stop to vomiting, and giving him Pedialyte every 2-3 hours for the past 24 hours. Our Vet told us that we needed to start him on Chicken broth for the frist couple days after he is keeping water down without aid of his anit-vomiting medication. We are suppse to give him this for a couple days then start him on a diet of plan foods. If he will eat his dry high-quality pupppy food that wold be best. If not then boiled chicken or blan food until his bowl movements are normal again.

Pets Dogs HealthMarch 31, 2020
🐰
🐛
👒
🌻
😷

Generated 2020-04-05 13:26:38 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️