Cook and Toss Cabbage

You can still get a good size head of cabbage for less than $1. This recipe will brighten up your regular old boiled cabbage. I have already made this twice since St. Patty's Day when I had this for the first time.

• head of green cabbage, cut into bite size pieces
  • olive oil for drizzling
  • fresh garlic cloves, crushed (or minced from a jar)

Boil cabbage until it is cooked the way you like it. (I like it to still have a little crunch.) Drain and immediately return to the cooking pot or a large serving dish. Drizzle with olive oil and add crushed garlic. Toss until all is combined thoroughly. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes to allow the flavors to combine. Toss again and serve.

Servings: 6-8
Time:5 Minutes Preparation Time
10 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My sister-in-law served this on St. Patty's Day with the traditional corned beef, potatoes, carrots and Irish soda bread. (This is the first time I've gone back for seconds on cabbage.)

By Traceyi from Jacksonville, FL

Thanks for this recipe. I love cabbage. Up here though (Cape Cod), I looked at a regular sized cabbage the other day & it was almost $5.00 for the head. It used to be a healthy & cheap vegetable. Maybe I will try to put some into my garden. Thanks again.

Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesApril 1, 2009
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
butterfly of an imported cabbage worm
Garden Insects: Imported Cabbage Worms
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage