General AdviceConsumer Advice

Microchip and Magnetic Pet Doors

I recently saw a blurb on TV about microchip pet doors. I already knew about magnetic pet doors (where a magnet is attached to the pets collar that unlocks the door), but the magnet was big, bulky, heavy, and doesn't work well if it gets wet. These doors are marketed to keep unwanted animals out, but I want to flip the door around to keep my new kitten in while letting my older cat out.

I'm doing research on the internet about these doors, but I wanted "real-life" reviews from you guys, because I've heard about tumors in animals being caused by microchips and they scare me. Has anyone had experience with either the magnetic, or the microchip pet door?

By Cyinda from the Seattle/Tacoma area

Answers

I can't help you with the door part. But I can tell you I have my pets microchipped for the reason that it is extremely much more likely for a pet to get lost than develop a tumor. If by chance one develops a tumor I'll have the chip and tumor removed. But if one of my little guys got lost and had no way to tell anyone where home was I would be heart broken.