Can Microchips in Dogs Move?

Putting an identification microchip in your pet dog can be a great help if the dog is lost. If the microchip were to not stay in it's original planted location it may be hard to find with a microchip reader. This is a guide about "can microchips in dogs move?".

My dog was micro chipped when we got him 2 years ago as a puppy. You could feel the micro chip under his skin in his neck in between shoulder blades. Well, here is the question. I don't feel it there anymore, but under his neck in the front I think it has moved. It is in the spot where it would have moved around. He was always itchy and we thought it was allergies. Could he of had problems with the micro chip, and scratched it so it moved? Now he itches that area and you can feel the lump like it was on his back. Thank You.

Answers

By Corrinne (Guest Post)

As far as I can remember, if they're put in properly they shouldn't move. But I've heard of microchips moving before and not being picked up by the scanner machine used to read them. Mabye you could ask your vet about it.

When I had my cat micro chipped two years ago, the vet told me they can move (or be moved by the pet) and that it was a good idea to have your pet scanned every time they visit the vet to make sure it is still in place.

Yes they can move. No, it's not a big deal.
I'm sure that if you call the vet, they would tell you the same thing.

I would call about him scratching at it though. That doesn't seem right.

YES THEY CAN!!!! My Rott had x-rays recently and her chip is now on her side near her ribs! Fortunately it can still be found with the scanner, so the vet isn't concerned. a quick scan will let you know if it has moved and if that is what's causing the irritation. Good luck!