My Frugal Life: Make the Harvest Last All Winter

My adult daughter called me recently to remind me that I'm a great mom. She went on to tell me that when she and her sisters were young I fed them very well. My Frugal LifeShe was remembering how we always had 2 or 3 vegetables or fruits on our table at every meal. Then of course I explained how that happened. I was the single mother of 3 daughters and our budget was very snug. Every year we put out a garden and before every meal I would send the girls out to fetch their choice of vegetable. We also would drive around looking for fruit trees and berries in fields or along the road. We would make an adventure of picking as much fruit as we could. During harvest time we worked hard canning and freezing enough fruits and vegetables to get us through to the next harvest. Meat was not in our budget too often, but we always had plenty of fruits and vegetables.

By Carol from West Milton, Ohio

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

Well done. You have a lovely daughter.

Marg from England.

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeOctober 11, 2010
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
woman wearing nylons
Making Nylons Last Longer
Outdoor Harvest Party Place Setting
Ideas For Outdoor Harvest Party
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears