What Are These Glasses?

What are these glasses called? Who makes them? Anyone know anything about them? I can't seem to find out where they came from. I got them from Goodwill about a year ago.

By Kelsalea from MI

Anonymous Flag
May 8, 20090 found this helpful

A friend of mine who has since passed away was into collectables. She had doll books, bowl books, glass books, etc. There are books for about everything a person can collect. When she wanted information about an item, she would look through a book. Borders bookstore lets you sit and look at books, you might find a book on antique glasses and look it up. Libraries also carry books on antiques.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 9, 20090 found this helpful

They are very nice and unusual. I hope you can find something about them.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 13, 20090 found this helpful

Many, many years ago, you used to get glasses like those in "soap powder", now known as "laundry detergent". If so, they are quite collectible, not only because of their age, but the mere fact that they have survived all these years. There used to be a lot of products in addition to soap powder that tucked nice freebies in with their products. We used to be able to collect entire sets of dinnerware and flatware. But as I said, that was many, many years ago.

Good luck in finding info on them. Pat T in Nevada

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 14, 20090 found this helpful

I would go on to eBay and look for similar glasses. I saw a program on TV a few years back that many pawn shops use eBay to determine the value of products they take in. I've also used eBay as a reference for stuff I've bought at garage sales and flea markets.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 14, 20090 found this helpful

Hi - go to eBay and click on their 'site map" in the upper right corner of the page. Then look in the column on the right ans scroll down until you see discussion boards.

Click on this and you will find a long list of speciality boards. Try out Collectibles first. You may have to sign up to post a question but it is free.

Ask the same question and include pictures and someone there will have the answer.

Great site for things like this.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 14, 20090 found this helpful

I would say that your glasses are what's been called "swanky swig".....definately try ebay for antique glasses, swanky swig, or you could search by glasses + what ever the picture is....remember to check completed listings. I just did this with a few of my collections, and found the only listing was already completed (which means it was listed & sold, or listed, didn't sell and wasn't relisted)....in other words that's where I found 1-of-a-kind stuff. The second place would be the library to check if they have books of antique glasses....these kinds of things were not only found in boxes of detergent, but some were also given away with purchases at gas stations, and some came with jelly or cheese spreads inside.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 14, 20090 found this helpful

They look to me like what jelly would have come in. Look on ebay tho and I think you can find something like yours or do ask on one of the boards as someone else suggested.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousMay 7, 2009
Remembering Your Glasses
Remembering Your Glasses
Two Wine Glasses
Crafts Using Wine Glasses
Uses for Old Reading Glasses
Uses for Old Reading Glasses
Insulated Drinking Glass
Using Insulated Drinking Glasses
New Years Ideas!
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 2, 2016 at 4:07:28 PM on in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!