ReusingGreen Living

Use Caution Mailing Junk Mail Envelopes

Often people reuse envelopes which they received with junk mail. However, you need to exercise care in using these. Any envelopes that have a bar code on them, should only be used to send mail to their intended destination. The bar code is the address in computer language. So, while you may have your envelope hand addressed to the water company, the post offices computer may still send it to a different state and address and slow your mail. This can result in lost mail and late fees on your bills.

By April from NW Missouri

Blackening out all barcodes with a Sharpee before mailing will ensure your mail gets to the destination you want.

:)

I put my monthly rent check in the landloards mailbox. One month I used a junk mail envelope with a bar code. I ran a line thru the address and wrote my name in the bottom left hand corner and put it in the landlords mailbox. A week later the landlord called wanting to know if I'd paid my rent. A few weeks later my check was mailed to me from some honest person. The check went to CA from TX. I'll never do that again.

I always use junk mail envelopes. I mark out or cover any bar codes before mailing. I've not had to buy envelopes for years!