How to Make a Junk Journal Out of Envelopes

Category Other
Junk journals are a combination of journaling and mixed media. This craft has been around for some time allowing each person to create a truly unique personal memento. Altered books are similar projects. Learn how to make a junk journal out of envelopes.

Junk journals are great to make and to give as gifts. There are videos on the internet that show how to put together a junk journal. I fell in love with them on first sight. This craft is the beginning of a junk journal which is made out of envelopes.

Total Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 1

• 8 envelopes envelopes (I used notecard size envelopes).
  • lots of colored paper scraps or squares in various sizes
  • bottle Elmers glue or Tacky glue
  • scissors
  • yarn stash
  • photos
  • any other pretty paper or ribbons

1. Open all envelope flaps.
  2. Place glue on gummy side of envelope flap.
  3. Place flap in other envelope and press to ensure that glue adheres to paper.
  4. Repeat with rest of envelopes.
  5. Glue colorful paper on first envelope for a cover.
  6. Glue pictures onto whatever pages you like.
  7. Place pieces of colored paper into the envelopes so you can write on them.
  8. Make pockets out of colorful paper to hide journaling notes in and put favorite quotes, pieces of cards, and notes in them. This is done by gluing just three sides onto a page and leaving the top side open.
  9. Tie yarn around journal in a pretty bow.
  10. Enjoy filling in your junk journal and when it gets full of beautiful things then cherish it and make another :)

Top Comment

Hi!

It is best to just start with 2 envelopes. Open the flaps, which are the triangle part of the envelope.

Tuck one of the triangle flaps into the opening of the other enveope.
I glue the flap into the other envelope.

Keep on putting as many other envelopes together, by sliding one triangle flap into the opening of any other envelope.

I did a small journal which I already had all the supplies, but there are tons of crafters who gi to great lengths to make their journals elaborate, and fancy.

I love to do journals of every kind, and this includes already put together journals from the dollar stores, journals made completely from junk mail, hournals made from empty CD cases, the list could go on forever;)

Love this idea! It would be even better if you could use the envelopes from all the junk mail you receive!

It's a great craft, but can you please explain how to put together the envelopes, using more detail and pictures. I just don't understand where the pieces go - I mean, I really don't get it LOL.

Thanks!

I feel it is a waste of time for the end result.