Aebleskiver Pan Keeps Sticking

I recently received an Aebleskiver pan and for the life of me I can't get them to come out. I've followed all the directions to the letter but no luck. I can't manage to turn them over with the sticks provided. And even though I've sprayed the pan as directed, they always stick. I thought maybe the pan needed to be seasoned and did that, but still no luck. Can somebody tell me what I may be doing wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bev. What we do here in Dane country is melt butter flavored Crisco and fill the well maybe 1/3 full of the grease. You really need to have a heavy pan with a lip on it. How did you hear of abelskivers? Are you Danish? Also, the ladies used to use hat pins to turn them, but a thin knitting needle works great.

Did you use non-stick spray? When baking stuff sticks I have better luck using shortening or even oil. This page has some tips on Aebleskiver:

http://www.aebleskiver.com/gettingstarted.htm

Apparently the pans exist in versions for gas and ones for electrical stoves (has a plain bottom). Sometimes just trying a different recipe helps. There are some interesting tips & also recipes in the comments section here:

http://www.docbug.com/blog/archives/000174.html

Can't remember if I read it on that page or another but it said to let the batter rest for 10-15 minutes, like you would for cornbread. I have always wanted to try aebleskiver but it is still on the list.

Are you sure you are getting any filling only in the center and not leaking out to one side? This is where I have trouble with mine.

Thank you for all the feedback. I really appreciate all your comments. I had no idea you needed to use so much oil/shortening in each well. I've gone onto the recommended web sites and have received a lot of information as well as some wonderful sounding recipes. I'm going to try making them again hopefully this weekend. Right after I re-season my pan following the directions on web site. I'm of German descent but had a landlady who was Norwegian. She made a lot of things like these. They were wonderful. Unfortunately, I never watched her make any. She has passed away since then.

Thank you again. I'll let you know how they work out this time.

When I use mine I have a bowl of vegtable oil and a basting brush and I brush each of the holes with the oil then pour batter. Then when I take my pancake puffs out I rebrush them again and after every time.

I have my aebleskiver pan for 6 months now, I use generic spray pam ever time before placing the batter into the pan. I also find that the pan needs to be at least medium to high heat for the entire time of cooking them. My kids love it, we make plain pancake puffs, wheat puffs, and corn muffin puffs. I serve on the side homemade raspberry spread, maple syrup, powered sugar and cinnamon all on the side and we 'dip' to our choice.

For clean up I wash in hot water and lightly coat pan and place on papertowel so it's ready for the next time.

Before making your first aebleskiver you should cure you pan. Since you have used it some, you might do it anyway. You can go to my website and I give full instructions there. Also I have a video there showing how to turn them.

When you are on my site click on: getting started and also on the site: cast iron pans.

My web site is: www.aebleskiver.com. I think it might help you.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingOctober 16, 2008
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
A chunk of stuck together ice cubes.
Keeping Ice Cubes from Sticking
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
🎉
🎄