Cleaning a Red Brick Patio

How can I clean moss and black mold from a red brick patio?

John from Newark, DE

I have had great luck with a power washer. You don't need a gas powered monster that strips paint off a car. Karcher makes a nice one for 135 bucks or so that is great for this purpose. Electric motor and 2 power heads and a ground fault circuit to protect you from shocks. I cleaned my wooden deck, the vinyl siding, and the cement and brick work around the house. It blasts off mold, dirt, grime, and slime. You can add mildicide or detergents to help with tough jobs. The deck looks brand new and the bricks and cement work sparkle. Saved hours of scrubbing and hanging off a ladder. Good luck, Kenorri

I pour bleach water on my brick steps and it will kill the mold and moss. Just be careful until it dries, it will be very slippery. I have just used straight bleach but if I remember, it seemed to have left white blotches. Good Luck

You really will need to rent a pressure sprayer. Use care when using one of these. A little force goes a long way! If you can't afford to rent one of these power washers (call several rental places & price them first) then you can use a stiff broom & a bucked to water with a bit of bleach in it OR mold cleaner (do NOT mix the 2). Just push the water & bleach around with the broom until everything is covered then wait about an hour & use your hose with a pressure attachment on it to forcefully clean off the mess. (you may have to do this twice) Be sure to wear clothing & shoes that you don't care about, because bleach will trash them!

May I add that once clean, you may want to consider & look into appying a good commercial sealant to the brick once it's clean & dry. This would make future cleaning much easier and act as a 1st prevention against further mold, stains, etc.

Home and Garden Cleaning MoldSeptember 17, 2008
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
Blue Chairs and Table on Patio
Repairing Patio Furniture
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
man painting brick
Painting or Staining Brick